Sky Blue Double LP

It's a marketing trick so they can claim the record went gold after they only sell half the required records.

In the music industry they call this "pulling a Tweedy"

Its because of time limitations on vinyl. Basically, bass waves take up alot of space, so for a record to have strong bass, and get that wonderful warm sound, it needs to be less than twenty minutes per side. A little bit more is okay, but once you get to around twenty five minutes on a side, there is a huge difference in both the volume and bass response.

For instance, I have Neil Young's Weld on vinyl, which is a two hour double vinyl record. It is about half as loud as any normal length LP I have, and extremely tinny sounding. I've also noticed that it makes all the dust and dirt show up much more than usual.

So what wilco is doing is making 4 shorter sides for SBS, instead of two long ones that dont have any bass.

rockinrob:

Thanks for the 'splaination. I never new these things (then again, I don't do vinyl these days). I can think of a few albums from my youth that could have benefitted from being stretched into a double.

I think it should be a whole pile of 12 inch 45 RPM singles for optimal sound..... :mellow

Hell yeah. Let's get back to the days when it was obvious why they were called "albums."

with skybluesky clocking in at just over 51 minutes that will be less than 13 minutes per side. instead of a double album the band should make it a one and a half album and leave side four blank. :thumbup

spongebob

agreed. and they should carve cool designs into side four.

with skybluesky clocking in at just over 51 minutes that will be less than 13 minutes per side. instead of a double album the band should make it a one and a half album and leave side four blank. :thumbup

spongebob

Or you can buy the vinyl version of Low's Things we lost in the fire, which is exactly like that.

LouieB

which others?

LouieB

Bonnie "Prince" Billy Sings Greatest Palace Music

Four Tet - Everything Ecstatic

The I have a few more that are just one sided. I think I have another 3 sided album but I can't think of it right now. I'll have to look when i get home.

EDIT: got home and found that other 3 sided LP which is Flaming Lips - Telepathic Surgery.

spongebob

I vote we get Johnny Lackey to design the art for side 4. :thumbup