I thought this weather anomaly deserved a thread. I personally will be stuck at the UW campus all day since my idiot math TA decided to have an exam review tonight at 7pm. But I'm going to be taking a lot of pics today because with this wet, heavy snow, it makes for some pretty white trees (and flowers).

And those poor Cleveland Indians. They move the series to Milwaukee and they still get snow! Another reason for me to be in Milwaukee this week (instead of stuck in Madison at school) is my weather idol, Jim Cantore, the biggest weather badass since Teddy Fujita, is doing live reports from the airport for The Weather Channel. Why must this snow be such a blessed curse?!

How's everyone else spending the storm?

And those poor Cleveland Indians. They move the series to Milwaukee and they still get snow!

Yes, but they also have a roof.

Snowstorms in April aren't that rare. They just seem bizarre after some of the unseasonably warm weather we had recently.

Last Friday was warm and sunny.

Awoke Saturday morning to bright sun and the landscape covered in a layer of pristine white snow which had apparently fallen in large, sticky wet flakes.

Beautiful.

It was mostly gone by 2:00PM.

I am in favor of April snow.

Because my vocation is to care for botanical life, I have fought a depressed state for the past two weeks. It is unnerving to go out into my garden. For realz.

Two weeks ago, this magnolia was covered in bright green leaves:

IMG_2118.jpg

One of my favorite hosta varieties, June, which looked like this:

hosta%20june.jpg

Now looks like this:

IMG_2117.jpg

Repeat these pictures hundreds of times, and that is the story of my garden.

I have no frame of reference for this kind of damage. :ohwell

Vibes for Graham who is delivering mail all day in this shit......it is a mess. It is blowing sideways right now, as I look out the window.

I was covered in ice and snow just from being dropped off and walking from the car to the door of the coffee shop where I am spending my whole day studying. I am glad the Sox are in Oakland - we should get home to catch the game from the 6th inning on......

yeah - Graham is indeed a mailman.

Though he isn't permanent yet.....so he doesn't have the wicked cool shorts or the safari hat. :)

--

and to answer Kevin - he has been at the USPS for about 6-8 weeks now I think?

I quit my job a few weeks ago to finish my MA in history (I am prepping for comp exams and will be finished by the end of summer) - and then I am going into another MA program at Loyola in the fall.

our mailman has rubber band shoot-outs w/ the neighborhood kids and constantly offers me advice on home improvements he thinks I should undertake. my wife is not a fan ever since he stomped up and down on our front porch to illustrate how the concrete was giving way...prompting us to spend a large part of our svaings account on replacing the entire thing 2-3 months ahead of schedule.

M Chris, I'm so sorry. That really sucks. It'll get better and warmer again. :cheekkiss

And Hot Chocolate Vibes to Graham. :cheers

yeah - Graham is indeed a mailman.

Though he isn't permanent yet.....so he doesn't have the wicked cool shorts or the safari hat. :)

When does he get the fabulous wide-ribbed cardigan with the zipper? I've seriously considered a career change just to pick up one of those babies.

I had an appointment to take the postal exam a couple months ago but cancelled because I got the other job I was wanting. How cool would it have been to deliver mail in 72 degrees everyday, though? (Actually, the sun hasn't really been shining too much for the past couple weeks - the average highs have been in the mid 60s - so I feel your pain.

Getting back to the weather,

April11.jpg

There is a pile of wet, heavy snow outside my office window right now. I am not looking forward to the drive home tonight. And the worst part is that it was in the 70's a few weeks ago.

Last week: at the first of the week, temp--79F...Grilling food in a tank top. 48 hrs. later--wind chills of 20F, winter coats back out. Jeeeshh. :ohwell

The snow has made it to southeast Michigan, though it's still fairly pathetic at the moment.

You might catch a break. The difference this morning from the east side of Kalamazoo (home) and the west side of town (where my office is) was signifciant, which I am chalking up to the lake effect.