I don't mind cool (even cold) weather - and prefer it to hot weather.....but give me a 55-60 degree autumn day with some warm sunshine anyday over this crap.

Vibes to M Chris' botanical family.

Miss Chris -- I am so sorry for your (and everyone's) gardens. What a disaster. Any bushes or trees that have begun flowering here are looking poorly.

I remember a few years ago we had a weather below freezing in May and all the foliage on trees/bushes and the flowers just went dead. They did not really recover that year; everything was just droopy.

Looking out my window, we've got a good two inches on the ground and its still snowing, but the wind seems to be dissapating some.

Because my vocation is to care for botanical life, I have fought a depressed state for the past two weeks. It is unnerving to go out into my garden. For realz.

Two weeks ago, this magnolia was covered in bright green leaves:

IMG_2118.jpg

One of my favorite hosta varieties, June, which looked like this:

hosta%20june.jpg

Now looks like this:

IMG_2117.jpg

Repeat these pictures hundreds of times, and that is the story of my garden.

I have no frame of reference for this kind of damage. :ohwell

The picture your hostas hurts my heart. I'm soooo sorry.

My husband had a Chicago to Kansas City flight this morning at 9. He's still sitting on the plane.

Thanks for the well wishes. Obviously I am not the only gardener weeping over her garden. A weeks worth of night temperatures of 15 degrees happened all over the midwest in areas that had enjoyed 6 weeks of warm weather.

My concern is mostly for the woody trees and shrubs. In the winter the stem and branch tissue is filled with anti freeze to keep the branches from freezing and dying back. Once the leaf pushing sap has risen and filled the branches, extreme branch dieback occurs. In conifers particularly the entire plant can die.

I realize none of this is as important as a talk radio host saying ignorant shit, but fuck those dudes. When was the last time they made any oxygen?

I realize none of this is as important as a talk radio host saying ignorant shit, but fuck those dudes. When was the last time they made any oxygen?

:lol all those fuckers ever do is inhale it in ever-increasing amounts to fuel their ranting

well Sean Hannity said that liberals should stop breathing - maybe that would help?

;)

The trees have no preference. Liberal or conservative carbon dioxide. It's all the same to them. :lol

It snowed here for about the last three days, although it hasn't been too bad temperature wise. It warmed up this afternoon, and hopefully there will be sunny skies tomorrow!

*on a sidenote, reading everyone's posts just reminded me that I really don't understand why 'fahrenheit' is used as opposed to 'celsius'. It just seems very logical to me to have a unit where 0 is the basis from which everything is measured. I don't know...I'm not trying to push any 'wacky' ideas onto people, just curious.

it's raining like a bitch outside and the wind is blowing very hard. I wore my rain pants and jacket this morning. everyone else got soaked. what is this, a fashion show?

It snowed here for about the last three days, although it hasn't been too bad temperature wise. It warmed up this afternoon, and hopefully there will be sunny skies tomorrow!

*on a sidenote, reading everyone's posts just reminded me that I really don't understand why 'fahrenheit' is used as opposed to 'celsius'. It just seems very logical to me to have a unit where 0 is the basis from which everything is measured. I don't know...I'm not trying to push any 'wacky' ideas onto people, just curious.

Because the USA is not down with the metrics.

Because my vocation is to care for botanical life, I have fought a depressed state for the past two weeks. It is unnerving to go out into my garden. For realz.

Two weeks ago, this magnolia was covered in bright green leaves:

IMG_2118.jpg

One of my favorite hosta varieties, June, which looked like this:

hosta%20june.jpg

Now looks like this:

IMG_2117.jpg

Repeat these pictures hundreds of times, and that is the story of my garden.

I have no frame of reference for this kind of damage. :ohwell

Awww. :ohwell This has been depressing. I'm worried about the apple orchards around here now. I haven't heard how they are faring with all this...

The iris still look okay...do you think they'll make it? Between the cold and wind our magnolia didn't stand a chance.

A little sun today though. That's something.

{{{spring vibes all}}}

This is the kind of shit that makes me long for a job somewhere warm come May. It never ceases to amaze me just how much I despise winter.

That's what I did. Goodbye Detroit, Hello Southern Cali. .. . . but I do miss my Pistons, Lions, Redwings, & Tigers....

Severe thunderstorms in front of snow for tomorrow. :hmm

wtf?

And those poor Cleveland Indians. They move the series to Milwaukee and they still get snow!

Well that's kind of what you get for going to Milwaukee to escape the snow. :hmm (tho, as noted, they at least had the benefit of a roof)

The cold is definitely getting kind of old. I'm ready for some springtime, tho I still think the most annoying part of cold streaks like this is the inevitable snarky "So much for global warming!" comments people keep making, which seems to have replaced the ever-popular "Cold enough for ya?" as the empty small-talk phrase of choice. :rolleyes