Heroin

Guest Speed Racer

The Velvet Underground and Nico peaked at # 171 on Billboard Magazine's top 200 charts

Which proves my point. If they'd been invisible, they never would have made it onto the chart at all.

In 1967 - you listened to this album?
Yes I did. My friend David Sandler had a copy. The songs off it were played on an "underground" FM midnight show. Life was rough on us when we were kids, you didn't just hear this kind of stuff anywhere.

People did, you know. Not that many, but it's not like VU were completely invisible in the '60s.
Not completely, but they didn't get played on the radio either. As mentioned above I heard it on the midnight show in Cleveland on FM, which was a relatively new technology in 1967.

I think that "Sweet Jane" is probably their best known at this point, but "Heroin" is up there, and definately more essential to understanding the importance of the band than "Sweet Jane" is.
Heroin is not their best known song by any stretch, but it is their most important song artistically. Far more important (but not as fun to listen to) as the pop Sweet Jane (the companion piece to the Association's Along Comes Mary.")

My biggest music related regret is that I didn't have the balls to go see the VU when they played numerous gigs at La Cave in Cleveland. This was during a period when they weren't even playing New York, but somehow La Cave was a regular gig for them on the circuit.

I have to admit I am shocked they even made it all the way to #171. That is pretty interesting. How many weeks were they actually on the chart period?

LouieB

I think that "Sweet Jane" is probably their best known at this point, but "Heroin" is up there, and definately more essential to understanding the importance of the band than "Sweet Jane" is.

Sweet Jane - the Lou Reed solo version that is

Personally, I prefer the later after Nico stuff.

We have had this discussion before - I like the "nice" non-noisy songs.

I would say that any one who considered himself a serious music fan would have to own all of VU's studio records. Their importance is impossible to exaggerate, and I'm sure they've turned many people into music fanatics.

I don't really listen to Wilco anymore.

I've heard you say this a hand full of times,may I ask why?

Really? I hate that version. Mostly because Lou's singing was absolutely terrible on that entire set. "Venus in Furs" is definately one of my favorites though.

i dont know... i like the weird timing on it

maybe seeing the video clip at 3am about 8 years ago on TV helped... it was the first VU song i really took notice of

I think the best version of "Herion" is found on live 69' album.

It's great song, but it pales when compared to "Sister Ray."

And with the Bob Dylan thing, he's only full shit during his Christian period.

I would also say that I was blown away by this song the first time I heard it. I had Polydor's best of Velvet Underground, then later I put together another compilation that had stuff from the albums. I would say that my favorite VU song is "Venus In Furs". It's got such a weird tempo and it's strange that the distortion makes it melodic, but that's the way it feels to me.

I'll never forget hearing Heroin the first time I heard it (a friend had the album) as a teenager. I remember the place and the day and the impression it made on me. No one had ever written a song like that before (coupled with "I'm Waiting for my Man"); the VU turned rock completely adult. It was a revelation. in fact the entire album was a revelation, with songs about transvestites, drug addicts, S&M, and other adult stuff. It sure blew the lid off of rock as kids music (bye bye Beach Boys).

Songs about hard core drug addiction are now common place. Oh sure there were drug songs before Heroin (Cocaine for example, made semi-famous by Dave Van Ronk), but this one really felt like the people knew what they were talking about.

The main difference between the VU version and the Rock and Roll Animal version is that the latter version the musicians really know how to play, which may or may not make it better.

LouieB

In case anyone is interested, here is the live version of "Heroin" that Lou Reed did with Don Cherry that I mentioned earlier. Easily my favorite of the many post-VU incarnations that this song took.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/3wnp52

Thanks for that man! :cheers Don Cherry is a monster. I've always loved his playing.

The "Between Thought and Expression" set was the first Lou/VU my fella and I ever bought. "Heroin" was definitely a stand-out track for me. I was in high school at the time and I would pop the tape in during my morning drive. The drive was so brief that I couldn't actually fit the entire song into it so I'd skip forward several minutes. When everything starts to build at about 9:15 with the sax and all, my heart beat and breathing pick up and race. It's awesome. :wub

the version that Lou does on the "Rock and Roll Animal" live album is no slouch either.

That is the first version I heard and I was immediately a fan.

I like other versions more (including the 1969 Live mentioned elsewhere) but I still love that one.

I would say that my favorite VU song is "Venus In Furs". It's got such a weird tempo and it's strange that the distortion makes it melodic, but that's the way it feels to me.
That's a good one...I heard Black Angel's Death Song on one of the college stations the other afternoon. Also good weird stuff.

LouieB