Coolest decision I'll ever have to make

Theres also the fact that I'm leaning towards picking a guitar that my dad isn't too emotionally attached to and im assuming the '64 Gentleman is pretty special...but he did offer all of them so thats not a hard and fast rule.

It's not like he's offering it to a stranger.

I still say take the Gretsch and if you're serious about playing guitar for the long term you can always get a Tele.

On the other hand, those who say you'll probably inherit it ALL the guitars could be right. That's a good point. It'll be up to you to make sure your dad never gets rid of them or lets any grandkids anywhere near them.

In any case, pass on the Parker Fly.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no one else in my family plays guitar, so yes, the guitars would go to me if he passed away, but i hope that doesn't happen for 50+ years.

I am serious about playing guitar, but not "its my only job" serious. Just "I really really enjoy it" serious. Also, ill probably be living at home for a few months pretty soon and they are all out and about in his guitar room, so I'll always have chances to play these other guitars, its just which one will be the best in the long term.

Perhaps you could tell your dad you'd like some time to try out all the guitars before you make your decision. Some guitars just aren't going to feel right in your hands (I've never found Gibson SGs comfortable to play, for instance), and others might feel like they were made especially for you. That should be a factor in your decision. It'd be great to own a fantastic vintage instrument like your dad's Gretsch, but ultimately you need something that feels right and is comfortable to play. And if you think it looks cool, you'll want to play it more and as a result you'll become a better player.

Perhaps you could tell your dad you'd like some time to try out all the guitars before you make your decision. Some guitars just aren't going to feel right in your hands (I've never found Gibson SGs comfortable to play, for instance), and others might feel like they were made especially for you. That should be a factor in your decision. It'd be great to own a fantastic vintage instrument like your dad's Gretsch, but ultimately you need something that feels right and is comfortable to play. And if you think it looks cool, you'll want to play it more and as a result you'll become a better player.

Yeah my dad told me not to decide before i sat down with all of them. But I'm not sure I'm expert enough or smart enough to know what feels right or to know what I'm looking for. I just wanted some expert advice on the situation from you all.

...And I got it! Thanks everyone for the fantastic suggestions.

I do like Telecasters, but you what they say..."If you don't play Gibson and Marshall your a wanker!"

So, what you're saying is Jimi Hendrix is a wanker, but Paul Stanley is not.

Hahaha...I am not much of gear guy but I can tell you one thing: don't get a Les Paul. They are heavy, awkward, and to me don't sound that nice, especially if you are looking to play a wide variety of tunes (read: anything beyond zeppelin riffs).

HAHA..well not exactly, but it is hard to beat the Gibson/Marshall sound... Ya, they are heavy, but they are really reliable guitars and I think they sound and play quite nice.

les pauls, like telecasters, are different from guitar to guitar. I have a les paul classic premium plus that weighs almost nine pounds. I have seen ones that weighed over ten pounds. IT sounded better than the other ones when I bought it. It has seymour duncan antiquity pickups in it, and I changed all of the controls to rs guitarworks parts. It has the huge jensen capacitors in it. Now This guitar sounds amazing. Everyone that hears it says it is the best sounding guitar they have ever heard, and wants to take it. It is extremely versatile, and can do everything from country, to folk rock, to funk, to chicago blues, to zeppelin to the beatles.

The thing is, a large part of your sound is the way that you play. To make your decision, you need to spend some quality time with all of the guitars, and it would help to use several amps as well. Also be sure to play them unplugged, becuase that is the most important test. If a guitar sounds great unplugged, you can change the components until you find the special combination that brings it to life. My .02

My Telecaster is just about as heavy as a Les Paul. I like Les Pauls, and intend to buy myself one on my next major birthday.

Maybe with a 10 lb strap. :monkey

Seriously, I played a Les Paul live for a while and then switched to a strat. I used to get shoulder cramps with the Les Paul and then none with the Strat.

My Tele is much heavier than any Strat I've played. It's the Muddy Waters model. If you have a chance to try one out you'll see how heavy it is. I've certainly played some lighter Teles, so maybe there's something about this particular model that makes it especially heavy. I'm pretty sure my Tele is not as heavy as the average Les Paul, but it's pretty close. It's definitely the heaviest guitar I've played since I got rid of my Les Paul.

As for the shoulder cramps, perhaps the Srat's contoured backside helps alleviate some of the cramps since it conforms to your body and is more comfortable to hold.

As for the shoulder cramps, perhaps the Srat's contoured backside helps alleviate some of the cramps since it conforms to your body and is more comfortable to hold.

That could very well be the case.

why is everyone passing on the parker fly?

from what i've seen, heard and played they are light, have a very resonant body, and do the electric guitar/acoustic piezo thing very well...

i know they don't have much "indie street cred" (neither does the stratocaster apparently by your suggestions...and i think the strat is even MORE versatile than a tele) but they are solid instruments...

one day i hope jeff or nels picks one of these up and plays it for a tour...mayhap that will change perceptions...

hmm...

i think your best move is to play each and every one of those axes and find the one that makes you go "oooh" when you hit the first chord...even if it is the country gent...if i were a dad giving a guitar to my kid and they wanted the "special one" i'd be proud...as long as there is the understanding that they won't sell it and it would return to my posession if they don't want to play anymore...passing on an old friend to a member of your family is a very, very good thing...

your pop is awesome...and you should be very thankful...

i guess just give each axe the run around...you may be surprised which one feels and plays the best to you...

why is everyone passing on the parker fly?

I'm honest enough to admit that 50% of my reason for passing on the Parker Fly is because I don't like the way it looks. Aesthetics are important. If you don't like to look at it, you're not going to touch it. If you don't touch it you can't play it.

The other 50% is that I don't care for the new-technology types of instruments on the market these days. That's why I wouldn't pick the Les Paul which, if I remember correctly, is outfitted with digital processors or something. I owned a modeling amp and have screwed around with some equipment that can do lots of different things. I've come to the conclusion that I don't like that kind of stuff. I wouldn't buy a Line 6 Variax, either.

For the record, I do believe the Les Paul has its normal pickups on there, but additionally has a synthaseizer pick-up in case i ever want to start making strange noises with the guitar.

P.S. I really do appreciate all this discussion...It's helping a lot.

Thanks everyone! :wub

Parkers are Horrid, really...my Uncle had one and within a month had sold it for an ES-335

they just have no vibe whatsoever it feels like a computer game control or some midi guitar rather then a real instrument that you can connect with

its like that piece in the Wilco book about the value of less knobs, a great Guitar should be organic and inviting and an extension of yourself while the parkers, especially with those carbon-fibre necks are just cold and lifeless machines

• 2 months later...

First off, what a great present. I love the Tele, Les Paul, ES-335, Ricks... but I would love to get one of these:

guitar6.jpg