Macbook owners: What issues if any do you have with these late model machines? What do you like and what don't you like about them. Do you use one of the myriad of the available "Office 2004" suites or are you flying w/ "iWork", (or both).

I need insights and suggestions. Thinking about getting a 2.0GHz model with a gig-o-memory. I'm upgrading my camera equip. thus I need to upgrade my OS and memory. Hence, new laptop.

Should I wait for "Leopard"?

Thoughts....

Macbook owners: What issues if any do you have with these late model machines? What do you like and what don't you like about them. Do you use one of the myriad of the available "Office 2004" suites or are you flying w/ "iWork", (or both).

I need insights and suggestions. Thinking about getting a 2.0GHz model with a gig-o-memory. I'm upgrading my camera equip. thus I need to upgrade my OS and memory. Hence, new laptop.

Should I wait for "Leopard"?

Thoughts....

I have a Powerbook G4 (the macbook predecessor) and I LOVE it. I have been a PC person for years -- building, gaming, etc. I run Office 2004 and it works perfectly with PC versions. I'm not sure which Office version I have, unfortunately. Also, I would up your RAM to 2 gigs. Trust me.

You can always buy Leopard when it comes out ~$100. I suggest dropping the extra money for the service plan. Unlike PCs which you can go buy parts for and fix, you really need an Apple tech to work on your machine if it's something serious. One service trip will more than pay for itself.

My $.02

Guest Speed Racer

Ditto.

Also, this reminds me of a message board I used to frequent, in which two of the posters each had a stock response for certain comments. To posts that began something like, 'So, I've had this pus oozing out an open sore in my mouth for like, three weeks now,' Keri would respond: GO. TO. A. DOCTOR. To ANY post refering to ANYTHING about computers, Erin would respond, 'Get a Mac.'

So, get a Mac.

I have an ibook and absolutely LOVE it, but then again I was born and bred on Macs. I haven't worked on the Macbooks though (you are talking about the new intel machines right?), but for the most part have heard good things. One thing to be warned of, they get HOT, very very hot. Mac's been trying to solve that problem for years, with the G5 processors, it's hard to keep the heat down (my quad at work is a space heater). The intel processor switch over was supposed to help solve this problem.

The upside of the Macbooks is that if there is ever a need (although I have yet to figure out why on earth anyone would want to do this, PCs are so icky) you can run Windows on the Mac, complete crossover for the software now. That means you can run PC software on the Mac through the Windows operating system. I've never done it, nor have I seen it done, but have heard all about it. [this actually applies to all of the new macs not just the laptops]

Not sure about Office 2004 on them, but there were some glitches running Adobe Creative Suite 2 because it wasn't built for the intel processors. They just released CS3, so I'm sure any glitches with that are getting worked out now with the new release and in upcoming months.

Everything else I've heard about the Macbooks is that they are very nice and very fast! You really can't go wrong with a Mac.

Hope this helps some.

I recently bought a macbook, since I am returning to grad school. I don't remember exactly what the specs are but it was the cheapest one. I run Office 2004 on it, and it works just fine. No complaints. It is indeed very nice and very fast. :thumbup

Office 2004 on Intel Mac's isn't too bad, but 2008 will run way better when it's released this fall, as it's universal binary

Adobe CS2 apps (photoshop especially) were excruciatingly slow however. CS3 smokes.

Tks Guys!

I'm already a Mac guy w/ a 5yr old iMac. I've nursed her along long enough. This'll be my first Intel machine.

Any reccomendations as far as on-line retailers?

Currently leaning towards Mac Mall....

I just bought mine at the apple store - but then again, I didn't need any additional stuff. It doesn't seem like you save much money online - though macmall sometimes has good rebates.

i operate macbook pro 2.33 blah blah blah and I love it. I mainly use aperture, and final cut pro hd!

Grow up and get a real job. You'll never make it beyond your home studio (i.e. basement) doing that stuff.

:P

Has anybody here ever bought a refurbished mac? I'm thinking of trying that route for a macbook. Knocks about $200 off the price, but you get the same warranty from what I understand.

Has anybody here ever bought a refurbished mac? I'm thinking of trying that route for a macbook. Knocks about $200 off the price, but you get the same warranty from what I understand.

Two months ago I bought a refurbed MacBook at 40% off retail. I bought three years of warranty with the $ I saved.

Been loving it and no problems. :)

My latest Macbook arrived on Friday. I always order them from Amazon because they offer a rebate and they don't charge sales tax. The $200-ish I save gives me a new Mac for the price of a refurbished or educational discount machine from an Apple store.

New macbooks came out today. I hope you waited.

I have.

I've got until the end of the month to get this done.

"Well lookie there"!

2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

1GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x512

120GB Serial ATA @ 5400 rpm

SuperDrive 8x (DVD+R DL/DVD

the ONLY bad thing about macbooks (i am posting from one) is the optical drive is a kinda cheap piece of crap. for most people it works just fine, but for anyone decompiling dvd media, they're a crapshoot. if you plan on backing up your media library or pirating all your netflix rentals, get an external dvd burner.

that said, i really like my macbook, my g4 tower and my g4 flowerpot imac at work.

Those Mac Pros are super fast and you can upgrade as shit ton of memory in them. I am on the market for a new one and am waiting until leopard comes out. The imac's are nice as well, but if your editing audio or video macpro all the way. The macbook pros are nice as well if you want the portability. I'd use a Nail and Chisel before using a PC. :thumbup

I got a Macbook right when they came out. It had the random shutdown problem they were having for a while, so I returned it, payed 500 or so more and got a Macbook Pro and couldn't be happier. I think they've pretty much taken care of most of the major issues by now though.