would you like it if..

if wilco got real big, big as in songs in top 40, lots of radio plays etc, a much wider fanbase, would you like it?

i personally wouldnt cause i like the fact that Wilco is followed closely by a relatively small amount of people compared to other bands, and it feels personal to me, especially their shows.

anyways, discuss.

I actually like the fact that not so many people know them. I wish a had a FEW friends who did, tho...I am working on that now.

I wouldn't respond any differently to their music/his words, but I feel popular music is just that sometimes "popular". I don't think as many people would bother trying to understand and/or appreciate it as we all seem to do.

I wouldn't respond any differently to their music/his words, but I feel popular music is just that sometimes "popular". I don't think as many people would bother trying to understand and/or appreciate it as we all seem to do.

bingo.

i tried to explain this concept to someone on alt-country.org (the ryan adams message board)

and they just couldn't get it. at all. it was depressing. because i knew it made perfect sense.

they presumed i meant that fans of bands that become popular are naturally idiots

and what i meant is that the majority of newfound fans are people that are simply following a trend or something.

i personally wouldn't mind too much though.

they deserve it, if anything.

they are big already though, in a way.

bingo.

i tried to explain this concept to someone on alt-country.org (the ryan adams message board)

and they just couldn't get it. at all. it was depressing. because i knew it made perfect sense.

they presumed i meant that fans of bands that become popular are naturally idiots

and what i meant is that the majority of newfound fans are people that are simply following a trend or something.

i personally wouldn't mind too much though.

they deserve it, if anything.

they are big already though, in a way.

Whoa...gmta :thumbup

Yeah but people can definitely discover Wilco and any great band for the first time, anytime...and truly appreciate it (that's what makes them great). They just have to live with the grief that they missed out on the really really good times. I mean, I'm 22 years old and think that I have a decent appreciation of Bob Dylan...but I'll never truly know what it was like to yell 'Judas.'

Yeah but people can definitely discover Wilco and any great band for the first time, anytime...and truly appreciate it (that's what makes them great). They just have to live with the grief that they missed out on the really really good times. I mean, I'm 22 years old and think that I have a decent appreciation of Bob Dylan...but I'll never truly know what it was like to yell 'Judas.'

same here. love Dylan.

but then again, we don't have to be in our 50's and 60's to truly appreciate him.

as long we listen to and truly love his music, insteading of pretending like Bob Dylan, then we're fine : )

I'd like to think that it wouldn't bother me... but I'm kind of an elitist, so in reality it probably would bother me a lot. It wouldn't turn me into a non-fan, of course, but I'd pine for the days when I had the only car in town with Wilco stickers on it.

I think it would be great. Then again, I think everyone in the world should be listening to wilco. I don't think it would change the band either. They already make a great effort to keep concert ticket prices at a reasonable rate ($30 to see wilco at the Ryman vs. $80 to see Def Leppard anywhere, ok I might have just lost a bit of credibility by mentioning Def Lep, but I digress). If anything, the band becoming more popular and more mainstream might mean more rarities for the die-hard fans. They already do a lot/release a lot for the loyal followers through their website and other sources that the average joe wouldn't otherwise know about by simply going to Wal-Mart to purchase the latest greatest thing. I'd like to believe that they would be enabled to do even more.