one time this kid I used to hang out with played it at one of his gay solo acoustic shows and before he started playing he said "okay this next song is by Jeff Buckley" then he started playing Halleluja. I gave him so much shit for that.

Actually, I was moved by the song, in general. It might be small-minded of me, but since Buckley was my first it means the most. :wub I couldn't imagine WHO else would be singing "his song" (or so I thought it was HIS at the time).

I will try and find Cale's version, tho. I may be small-minded at times but I am quite open-minded most of the time :D

I would say that Jeff Buckley probably put out the most dramatic version, that is for sure. As a result he sort of owns the song now. All four versions are an interesting study in contrast. Cohen's is great in its way too and as long as you are at it hear the original. Cale's is on one of the first "tribute" albums from the early part of the CD era. I don't know if it is on one of his albums too; it is impossible to own every Cale album. The other material on the album entitled "I'm Your Fan" is pretty good too. Of course it may seem better then than it does now, but I remember it as being such. REM and a bunch of less famous bands are on it, but I always enjoyed it. I think most people will always associate this song with Buckley however. He gave it the most distintive reading.

LouieB

Because the lyrics to this song are so sublime...Buckley's take.

heard there was a secret chord

that david played and it pleased the lord

but you don't really care for music, do you

well it goes like this the fourth, the fifth

the minor fall and the major lift

the baffled king composing hallelujah

hallelujah...

well your faith was strong but you needed proof

you saw her bathing on the roof

her beauty and the moonlight overthrew you

she tied you to her kitchen chair

she broke your throne and she cut your hair

and from your lips she drew the hallelujah

hallelujah...

baby i've been here before

i've seen this room and i've walked this floor

i used to live alone before i knew you

i've seen your flag on the marble arch

but love is not a victory march

it's a cold and it's a broken hallelujah

hallelujah...

well there was a time when you let me know

what's really going on below

but now you never show that to me do you

but remember when i moved in you

and the holy dove was moving too

and every breath we drew was hallelujah

well, maybe there's a god above

but all i've ever learned from love

was how to shoot somebody who outdrew you

it's not a cry that you hear at night

it's not somebody who's seen the light

it's a cold and it's a broken hallelujah

hallelujah...

Great song. Stop abusing and commercializing the effect to every theme. Just because it's great doesn't mean it will synchronize with your scene. There has been a popular trend in the business to score an entire score among emotional montage (and etc.) to dramatize and exaggerate the emotions. This was the beginning of the end for E.R. (as well as the departure of Anthony Edwards). Many other televisions shows and movies have also followed this similar pattern. Turn it off.

"well it goes like this the fourth, the fifth

the minor fall and the major lift "

My favorite lines...they kind of go with the music itself....

LouieB

Those are always the lines that stick out for me too.

Even though I've read the lyrics a million times, I still hear "She cut your throat and she cut your hair" instead of "Broke your throne."

Creeeeepy.

i always thought it was 'broke your throat'....whoops...

it's still kind of violent and really painful. (it's my favorite verse too.)

After the recent poor Willie Nelson version of it, I think we need to put a ban on anyone else covering this particular song. I went to see Shawn Colvin in concert and Brandie Carlisle opened for her and SHE covered it. I almost had to walk out.

After the recent poor Willie Nelson version of it, I think we need to put a ban on anyone else covering this particular song. I went to see Shawn Colvin in concert and Brandie Carlisle opened for her and SHE covered it. I almost had to walk out.
I did not know about the Willie version...maybe enough is enough on this song.

LouieB

When my cousin died (at the age of 23) two of his band-mates played it at the funeral.

It was not a great version but it brought the entire church to tears.

This is a perfect example of how a great song is great no matter what. This song, which includes both the melody and the words, is a masterpeice, not a simple pop song. While some of the words may not be totally understandable or pertinant to a situation, is doesn't matter, the over all effect is stunning.

LouieB