The inevitable sell out post

• Replies 816
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nickerson - Why do you watch television? I'm curious.

Also, people so totally don't need headphones on to be completely apart from the rest of the world, and I think this thread is good evidence of that. Headphones are only a warning for the rest of us.

Aside from Lost, The Office and PBS

Yeah but that's completely different, VW simply makes cars, KKK inspires hate.

The product being sold is different, but the underlying intent of the ad is the same - sell VW's.

That's Jeff's voice singing that song in the commercial.

With all do respect, you're being intellectually dishonest.

Na. Writing a jingle for VW is tantamout. "Jeff Tweedy (or Wilco) says drive a VW" is tantamout. 99.9% of the people who see this ad will never know (or even think about) where the song came from. I don't see that as an endorsement.

And anyway, don't you have a job, and a wife and baby at home :)

I keep hearing that used as a defense of both the reason why it is not important that they licensed the song to VW, which is to say, who cares, no one knows who it is anyway, while, conversely, at the same time, being touted as a great new way for folks to be exposed to the band and their music

I keep hearing that used as a defense of both the reason why it is not important that they licensed the song to VW, which is to say, who cares, no one knows who it is anyway, while, conversely, at the same time, being touted as a great new way for folks to be exposed to the band and their music
Yeah but that's completely different, VW simply makes cars, KKK inspires hate.

you forget, hitler had alot to do with VW.

this reminds me of that brady bunch episode where they go to hawaii and find teh idol necklace.

I think there's an implied endorsement of the product being offered, although the "only thing Jeff endorsed..." line was quality.

You're wrong and you're right in the same sentence, which is both annoying and admirable.

This reminds me of the Brady Bunch episode wherein Wilco endorses German automobiles!

You're wrong and you're right in the same sentence, which is both annoying and admirable.

I'm sorry you feel that way, but despite what you think, that line was a pretty good one. Don't be so hard on yourself.

This reminds me of the Brady Bunch episode wherein Wilco endorses German automobiles!

I'm sorry you feel that way, but despite what you think, that line was a pretty good one. Don't be so hard on yourself.

someone, please for the love of god, put a picture of glenn on alice's face.

There was a time when folks wrote symphonies and those symphonies could only be heard in a live setting. In concert halls. With appropriate acoustics. And with full orchestras. And there was no other option.

Then someone somewhere figured out how to record and play back music. And that changed everything. Music that was written to be played and listened to in a certain way in a certain setting was being co-opted and played through one (or two) tiny speakers in people's homes. By definition, sounding completely different than the way the composer had intended the music to be heard or perceived.

I suppose that my point in all of this is that times change and as those times change, so do the ways music is listened to and perceived and presented. What seems completely natural to us now (e.g., ipods and compact discs) would have been completely foreign to, and an affront to, the sensibilities of "true artists" from hundreds of years ago. And that isn't to say that any one group of folks is right or wrong. Just that people today ascribe value to the convenience of listening to music at home or on the go and believe that outweighs the "true" vision of Mozart's symphonies being played in concert halls. Would Beethoven shit himself if he knew I was listening to his pieces through my tinny $10 sony headphones that give no sense of space or presence or depth?

Maybe the analogy is a stretch here, but all these comments about artistic integrity got me thinking about this very issue. No one's definition of artistic integrity is entirely pure (whatever that means), because art takes so many different forms for so many different reasons that may have little or much to do with the vision of the artist. If I listen to Pet Soundsin stereo as opposed to mono, am I violating something sacred? Or Mozart on my iPod? Maybe. I don't know. Is the band's decision to have a song in a commercial really that much different? I understand using music to market something is different than my analogy, but it all gets back to what I think is the central point of those that are up in arms, which is that music and art is something sacred that is de-valued when it is used or presented in ways that are not, well, pure. Aren't we all guilty of that to a degree?