The inevitable sell out post

I read on the Jay Farrar board once that someone said everyone over at VC is a elevator music listening Honda Civic driver!......................True Story

Well I guess the joke's on them 'cause I'm driving a Dodge Grand Caravan (whoops - maybe the joke is on me after all)

And just so y
  • Replies 816
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh great, I start posting again and it becomes "weak" pfft :ohwell

I might not have Mod powers but I can kill a thread like no one else!

Don't feel bad.

I wonder if this thread will come up in a Tweedy banter someday soon?

Alright, one more - what was the question?

I apologize for not answering, but, i'm barely treading water over here...

fire away.

Do you remember the question parm? I'm too e-lazy to look.

Advertising, is by necessity, a world of deception, its sole function is to sell you a product or idea that, lets just face it, you really do not need, and in many instances, will only serve to make your life that much more complicated.

That's not really accurate and completely based in opinion. There are plenty of advertisments of things you do actually need...but they are done by different companies trying to make you understand where their version of said product is the one you need to buy.

I'm also of the opinion that some advertisements could be considered art themselves and to put them all into the same bucket is a discredit to all the people who actually churn out some really genuinely creative things. Some advertisements, for both good and bad reasons, have actually inspired other artists to make everything from music to paintings, etc.

That and the other posts w/ the excellent point that the definition of selling out today is much different than it was back in the DIY era pretty much sums it up for me. That's just MY opinion though.

also...CMB!

So did you stop listening to Led Zeppelin when they endorsed Cadillac?

I don't understand the fuss or the 40 page thread about this stuff. The band made the music and we liked it, so did VW. Now it's on tv.

Big fucking deal.

Some advertisements, for both good and bad reasons, have actually inspired other artists to make everything from music to paintings, etc.

Andy-Warhol-Campbell-s-Soup-12716.jpg

*-Not that I'm backing up your arguments or anything, you filthy capitalist.

I wouldn't go as far as saying that Wilco sold out, but I don't like the idea of hearing their songs associated with a product. I think the great thing about music as an art form is the personal connection you feel with the artist and the music. That connection gets interrupted when it becomes a part of an advertisement, especially one that has really nothing to do with the songs themselves. At least the War on War commercial had some kind of connection to Chicago, and therefore Wilco. This to me is just about the band earning an extra buck, and I understand that they don't get paid the megabucks like some other artists do. But it also makes me cringe if I heard some of my favorite Wilco songs being used to sell products. I'm not going to boycott them or anything, and I still appreciate everything they have done for us fans.

So do I get some ice cream?

On a lighter note, we should pair some Wilco songs with some products.

Misunderstood - Cingular

How To Fight Loneliness - Paxil

Kamera - Nikon

Pot Kettle Black - Lodge Cast Iron Cookware

I wouldn't go as far as saying that Wilco sold out, but I don't like the idea of hearing their songs associated with a product. I think the great thing about music as an art form is the personal connection you feel with the artist and the music. That connection gets interrupted when it becomes a part of an advertisement, especially one that has really nothing to do with the songs themselves. At least the War on War commercial had some kind of connection to Chicago, and therefore Wilco. This to me is just about the band earning an extra buck, and I understand that they don't get paid the megabucks like some other artists do. But it also makes me cringe if I heard some of my favorite Wilco songs being used to sell products. I'm not going to boycott them or anything, and I still appreciate everything they have done for us fans.

So do I get some ice cream?

On a lighter note, we should pair some Wilco songs with some products.

Misunderstood - Cingular

How To Fight Loneliness - Paxil

Kamera - Nikon

Pot Kettle Black - Lodge Cast Iron Cookware

Red-eyed and Blue - Visine Brand Eye Drops

Question: How do you people feel when you hear Heavy Metal Drummer used in all off that VH1/MTV promo BS? It bothers me more than the VW add (not that I'm really all too bothered by any of this since my pops fed me by selling his artwork)

My question has been asked and re-asked and I decline, nay, REFUSE to go looking for it again. Plus I'm at home now and can't post without using that fastreply thing which is totally lame.

That's not really accurate and completely based in opinion. There are plenty of advertisments of things you do actually need...but they are done by different companies trying to make you understand where their version of said product is the one you need to buy.

I'm also of the opinion that some advertisements could be considered art themselves and to put them all into the same bucket is a discredit to all the people who actually churn out some really genuinely creative things. Some advertisements, for both good and bad reasons, have actually inspired other artists to make everything from music to paintings, etc.

That and the other posts w/ the excellent point that the definition of selling out today is much different than it was back in the DIY era pretty much sums it up for me. That's just MY opinion though.

also...CMB!

An equally valid argument could be made that the internet and sites such as myspace will usher in a new DIY era

My question has been asked and re-asked and I decline, nay, REFUSE to go looking for it again. Plus I'm at home now and can't post without using that fastreply thing which is totally lame.

I GOT YOUR BACK DOGG!11

I'd like to direct a question to jnickerson...

Am I wrong to read the following post as you viewing potential Wilco fans who come to the band through the VW ads as being inferior to a long-standing Uncle Tupelo and Wilco fan such as yourself?

No worries, you won

Ashes of American Flags - Diet Coca Cola

Far Far Away - Chicago Transit Authority

Hate it Here - Tide / Mr. Clean / Downy / John Deere mowers

Wishful Thinking - Powerball

Some advertisements, for both good and bad reasons, have actually inspired other artists to make everything from music to paintings, etc.

I assume you are referencing the fact that they are making a caveman TV show based around the geico caveman TV ads. While I appreciate your optimism about the show and will concede that "caveman ordering duck with mango salsa" is pretty funny, I don't think it's a concept with enough legs to base a whole show on. :hmm

I GOT YOUR BACK DOGG!11

I'd like to direct a question to jnickerson...

Am I wrong to read the following post as you viewing potential Wilco fans who come to the band through the VW ads as being inferior to a long-standing Uncle Tupelo and Wilco fan such as yourself?

Oh, that - I already addressed that with this:

I understand and apologize for my abrasiveness

To be completely honest I'm only even vaguely aware of who you are.

I assume you are referencing the fact that they are making a caveman TV show based around the geico caveman TV ads. While I appreciate your optimism about the show and will concede that "caveman ordering duck with mango salsa" is pretty funny, I don't think it's a concept with enough legs to base a whole show on. :hmm

Ok first of all, I'm not 100% in love with your tone right now.

El BF LOVES those Geico ads. He also was a huge fan of Dancing Babies.

I would watch it... Seriously... the guy who plays the caveman is a stand-up comic who is pretty funny

To be completely honest I'm only even vaguely aware of who you are.

Ok first of all, I'm not 100% in love with your tone right now.

:rotfl

My intention is not to prove that I am an uber fan, or any more or less of a fan than anyone else on this board

You sure did to me,remember the whole Bon Jovi,Mc Hammer thing?