The inevitable sell out post

• Replies 816
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just checked through that entire page of links to UT articles and didn't find a single mention of songs appearing in commercials. Still waiting for some actual documentation of these legendary comments.
I am too. I don't remember any commercial except one for Illinois tourism that had a Wilco song in it and that is only right, considering Wilco has brought millions in rock tourism into IL.

This is great web fodder, but ultimately all bands have to make a living....

LouieB

This has definitely been an amusing thread. Thanks to everyone. I think the argument that the band has to make a living rings a little hollow, because there are many avenues where they can earn money besides selling a song for a commercial.

That being said, however, I personally see a big difference in a band like U2 establishing one of their hits to be used as the backbone of an entire ad campaign, complete with their own special edition and more expensive red and black iPod, and a band like Wilco allowing an unreleased B-side to be used as essentially background music for a single car ad.

I can see how this can be seen as compromising principles, but I think a valid distinction exists. I'm not trying to make excuses for what Wilco has done here, and in a perfect world, I would rather not have the song associated with the ad. But in the long run, I don't think it will be. It's not ubiquitous enough.

this is absolutely ridiculous. how dare any of you even consider calling them sellouts. think of every single thing wilco has done for their fans. this isn't a band that puts out a piece of plastic every other year just so they can have money to eat with. wilco breaks their backs just to give the fans what they want. have you forgotten wilco practically gives their cds away via their website? do you know any other band that let you listen to their last 3 albums months before they hit the record store? do you know any other band that streamed a dvd the night before it hit shelves? i mean, seriously grow up. who cares if they put a song in a commercial? how do you know the record company didn't force them to. you have no clue what goes on inside the band, and inside the record company. you have no right to call them sellouts when you don't know the circumstances.

is that the thanks they get?

That being said, however, I personally see a big difference in a band like U2 establishing one of their hits to be used as the backbone of an entire ad campaign, complete with their own special edition and more expensive red and black iPod, and a band like Wilco allowing an unreleased B-side to be used as essentially background music for a single car ad.

I have zero intention of reopening this line of discussion, but for accuracy

To be fair, they didn't receive a cent for that ad. Apples. Oranges.

this is absolutely ridiculous. how dare any of you even consider calling them sellouts. think of every single thing wilco has done for their fans. this isn't a band that puts out a piece of plastic every other year just so they can have money to eat with. wilco breaks their backs just to give the fans what they want. have you forgotten wilco practically gives their cds away via their website? do you know any other band that let you listen to their last 3 albums months before they hit the record store? do you know any other band that streamed a dvd the night before it hit shelves? i mean, seriously grow up. who cares if they put a song in a commercial? how do you know the record company didn't force them to. you have no clue what goes on inside the band, and inside the record company. you have no right to call them sellouts when you don't know the circumstances.

is that the thanks they get?

Good post.....there can be no doubt that some of Wilco sales have been hurt by giving away of albums prior to release.

if this thread makes it to 50 pages, i think everyone who has contributed should get an icecream.

I am waiting....

LouieB

Fair enough, the most innefficient VW measures unfavorably to the most efficient Hummer. You've proven me wrong.

But really:

And if the whole world’s singing your songs

And all of your paintings have been hung

Just remember what was yours is everyone’s from now on

And that’s not wrong or right

But you can struggle with it all you like

You'll only get uptight

I think we've all realized that Jeff refuses to have his bag changed.

That was not my point at all man.Just trying to show how our opinions sometimes become facts for us.Like how the hell can we judge Wilco's character without actually knowing all the evidence.We might never know what makes a band sell a song to a commercial media unless we were in that decision ourselves at the time.

Would I still go to Wilco shows if Jeff drove a Ferarri?....................Yes

Would I still go to Wilco shows if ticket prices were $60.00?.................No

Wilco has yet to let us down by jacking up ticket prices,and yes,ticket sales are how these boys get paid.For all we know the release of this song to VW could of been in the hands of the record label.Probably not,but who really knows.

Good post.....there can be no doubt that some of Wilco sales have been hurt by giving away of albums prior to release.

ummm :unsure isn't that the exact opposite of why Jeff is quoted all the time in file sharing articles?

wow, even i wouldn't sink that low for an icecream. calling el tweedo a nazi is one thing, but seriously...

I think it's safe to say he's kidding...

Unless you're kidding too.

Internet killed sarcasm.

I know I'm getting pretty jazzed for my first election year at teh VC.

This thread is like a friendly scrimmage compared to those threads. Hitler still gets mentioned though.

and jnickerson, don't think that just because you've been staring at a screen all day and all night, and have posted 100 messages in one thread, pissed off tons of people, been called a troll, and dutifully replied to every single question...

...don't think that you're getting any more icecream than anyone else. cos you're not. we're all getting the same amount.