The inevitable sell out post

• Replies 816
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I did read the article. The article is about file-sharing, not about music appearing in commercials. Ergo, those comments are not addressing music appearing in commercials, they're addressing file-sharing. Why is this so hard for you to understand?

The most recent example of him talking about file-sharing, not music in commercials. THESE TWO THINGS ARE DIFFERENT. Your attempt to use these quotations to buttress your argument against music appearing in commercials is intellectually dishonest. If you're going to use quotations, at least find some that are actually relevant to your argument. What you're doing only undermines your own argument, and makes you look ridiculous.

So, I guess we can assume Jeff would say

WHO USES A FUCKING LOAF OF BREAD TO SELL A VEHICLE?

Are you always so literal?

Personally, I think the quotes are very relevant to our discussion

He didn't post a link, but it's here.

That article isn't about trading songs for dollars with the Nazis.

P.S. From the same article about file-sharing:

I don't want potential fans to be blocked because the choice to check out our music becomes a financial decision for them.

And now Jeff has completely contradicted himself by allowing a sample of one of his songs to be heard by millions of people, free of charge. Oh, wait...

did Nabokov sell out by selling a novel to Hollyowood?

is Anselm Kiefer a sellout because you can't buy a painting by him for less than US$400,000?

was Andy Warhol a sellout because he was a 'sellout'?

is Ian McKellan's Lear diminished by his Professor Xavier?

identifying with an artist is understandable but it is narcissistic

an artist and his/her work are not to be confused

Jeff Tweedy/Wilco is/are not doing this to extend the patio on that property their investor purchased for them in Vanuatu (tax purposes)

music is aesthetics and Father Time sorts all that out - five years from now what people are getting from Gun/Passenger Side/Kingpin/California Stars/Remember the Mountain Bed/Pieholden Suite/Reservations/ALTWYS/Side With the Seeds will have bugger all to do with Volkswagen, and so it should

to abandon 20 years of artistic and ethical integrity on the basis of one financial decision is conceit

"there arises from a bad & unapt formation of words a wonderful obstruction to the mind" - Bacon

did Nabokov sell out by selling a novel to Hollyowood?

is Anselm Kiefer a sellout because you can't buy a painting by him for less than US$400,000?

was Andy Warhol a sellout because he was a 'sellout'?

is Ian McKellan's Lear diminished by his Professor Xavier?

identifying with an artist is understandable but it is narcissistic

an artist and his/her work are not to be confused

Jeff Tweedy/Wilco is/are not doing this to extend the patio on that property their investor purchased for them in Vanuatu (tax purposes)

music is aesthetics and Father Time sorts all that out - five years from now what people are getting from Gun/Passenger Side/Kingpin/California Stars/Remember the Mountain Bed/Pieholden Suite/Reservations/ALTWYS/Side With the Seeds will have bugger all to do with Volkswagen, and so it should

to abandon 20 years of artistic and ethical integrity on the basis of one financial decision is conceit

"there arises from a bad & unapt formation of words a wonderful obstruction to the mind" - Bacon

Despite your rather odd line-breaking scheme, nice post. :thumbup

Now you're scrambling. You've been caught trying to misapply Jeff's comments to a situation he wasn't even discussing when he made them, and you're desperately trying to make a connection.

It's not working. Go find some Tweedy comments that specifically address the issue of music appearing in commercials, and maybe I'll re-engage you on this subject. Until you can do that, you're just wasting my time.

In the event you actually find such comments, don't think I won't go check them out. You better make sure that they really came from Tweedy, and that they actually address the specific subject of music appearing in commercials.

But really, don't waste your time.

That's called spin, kid. You're definitely the one spinning now. "I think his idea speaks to a larger issue as well"? Give me a break. You can't find the quotes you want, so you're applying spit and bubble gum to these ones. Weak.

I

Guest Speed Racer
I think someone said it earlier, but I haven't even seen these stupid commercials and every time I hear that song I am going to think of VWs now.

I'm sorry, I really am. I'd hate to think of a commercial everytime I hear a song (and a VW, no less! Never liked them much, but I love their keys), but that's just not how I roll. Probably why it bothers you and not me.

As I mentioned before, I did not come to this opinion based on speculation on my part, this subject has a history.

Then in this, the internet age, you should be able to find actual examples that support your position.

I'm sorry, I really am. I'd hate to think of a commercial everytime I hear a song (and a VW, no less! Never liked them much, but I love their keys), but that's just not how I roll. Probably why it bothers you and not me.

Well, I meant it tongue in cheek. It doesn't really bother me all that much. And in reality, I will probably be thinking of this [insert adjective] thread every time I hear the song, not the actual cars. :)

Then in this, the internet age, you should be able to find actual examples that support your position.

The articles were written long before everything became immediately available via the internet

This is a good discussion to have, and I've enjoyed it.

Me too. It's just that so many people are getting defensive. It's really not going to change anything either way, so you shouldn't get all in a huff... If it wasn't a good discussion, it wouldn't be almost 30 pages long.

Also, I clicked on that article "Music Is Not A Loaf Of Bread" and there was a Volkswagen advertisement. I nearly pissed my pants :yay

Just out of curiosity, are your principles exactly the same as they were in 1991? I know mine aren't, and that's not a bad thing.

seriously, people change.

big deal.

'big deal' is all i have to say to this whole thread. no offense to J or anyone.

they still make good music in my book, and that's ALL that matters, VW commercial or not.

jesus..

So, articles on Wilco were being written in 1993? Awesome.

I bet Jeff considered Jay Farrar one of his best friends around the time that No Depression was released.

I wouldn't know, though, because I didn't start listening until Still Feel Gone.