I actually think Lamb is better than Selling England but you do have to sift through some of the 2nd disc filler. Disc 1 is pretty f'in solid, love Back in NYC and Counting Out Time. Hard for me to listen to In The Cage without the Cinema Show/Slipperman/Afterglow medley to follow though.

I'm kind of the weird Genesis fan in that my favorite period is 76-80. For me, the songwriting got stronger and more focused. At Abacab they kind of lose me although there are some good songs from it (and the sessions) but with Lucky Charms and Invisible Touch I'm gone, except for Home By The Sea and Domino.

i think invisible touch is a tight pop record. we can't dance is pretty bad, but fading lights is such a great song.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think invisible touch is a tight pop record. we can't dance is pretty bad, but fading lights is such a great song.

Having been a senior in high school when Invisible Touch came out, I am forever fried on that record. It's certainly well produced but it's not my cup of tea. It's funny because I'm huge fan of well produced pop, just not Genesis' well produced pop.

Fading Lights is great. I also like Driving the Last Spike and Living Forever from that record.

Really? And Then There Were Three is my least favorite record from that era and have reisited downloading torrents of '78 shows because of all of the ATTWT material. Maybe I'll have to check it out. I love the Duke tour, great mix of old and new.

And Then Were three is my least favorite Genesis record as well (before they started sucking), but the 1978 live shows are just mindblowing

check out Oct. 13, 1978, in Chicago ... my favorite genesis live show ever ... it's available on every tracker in many forms ... an absolute A+++ performance

the last few minutes of supper's ready - starting with apocolypse in 9-8 - is some of the greatest music ever written

tony banks is the greatest musician who ever lived

I agree with that. The end of Supper's Ready is about as good as it gets. Perfect. The version on Seconds Out is similarly amazing. For anyone thinking of getting into Genesis I always recommend Seconds Out.

I also think that Selling England is probably the most 'complete' Genesis record. I envy anyone sitting down to listen to it for the first time. Firth or Fifth and Cinema Show are genius (Battle of Epping Forest less so!). As someone else mentioned 'Invisible Touch' is a great record. If you take it on its merits, without the Genesis baggage, its a staggering pop recording. Its also got six hit singles on it.

I have the double disc SACD versions and the interviews on each disc are really interesting. Tony Banks and Peter Gabriel are so 'English'. Just listening to Banks say that 'Watcher of the Sky' wasn't great and is a bit wordy or Gabriel saying he didn't really like 'I know what I like' was amazing. They are so self-deprecating. Also, Phil Collins comes accross really well in the set of interviews. He is the guy in the band who collects all the soundboard recordings and photos etc and is really into the Genesis history which surprised me somewhat.

In reference to the comments that Tony Banks is God I would simply say (Although he is a genius)....God would never write a song as bad as 'All in a mouses night' and therefore Banks can't be God!!

Anyway, its really nice to see all the Genesis love around here. They are such a misunderstood group who deserve a lot more credit.

And Then Were three is my least favorite Genesis record as well (before they started sucking), but the 1978 live shows are just mindblowing

check out Oct. 13, 1978, in Chicago ... my favorite genesis live show ever ... it's available on every tracker in many forms ... an absolute A+++ performance

I will, any Matrix or SBD you can point me to?

In reference to the comments that Tony Banks is God I would simply say (Although he is a genius)....God would never write a song as bad as 'All in a mouses night' and therefore Banks can't be God!!

God also made the duck-billed platypus, so there's that.

Just listening to Banks say that 'Watcher of the Sky' wasn't great and is a bit wordy or Gabriel saying he didn't really like 'I know what I like' was amazing.

i don't like "I know what I like" either ... sooo dull

I will, any Matrix or SBD you can point me to?

the versions i have are all soundboards. there are like 15 different versions of this show circulating.

it's on the genesis tracker at http://torrent.genesis-movement.org/torrents-details.php?id=3880

if you're on dime, the 30th anniversary remastered edition is posted and well seeded @ http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=291029

also seeded at The Trader's Den @ http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/showthread.php?t=60461&highlight=genesis

if you're not on any of the trackers let me know & i'll up it here when i have the chance

i don't like "I know what I like" either ... sooo dull

the versions i have are all soundboards. there are like 15 different versions of this show circulating.

it's on the genesis tracker at http://torrent.genesis-movement.org/torrents-details.php?id=3880

if you're on dime, the 30th anniversary remastered edition is posted and well seeded @ http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=291029

also seeded at The Trader's Den @ http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/showthread.php?t=60461&highlight=genesis

if you're not on any of the trackers let me know & i'll up it here when i have the chance

Sweet, I'm on dime. I now have a project for tonight, it'll be a break from all the Dead I've been pulling down. Thanks much for links, I appreciate it.

Searching on dime is one of the more frustrating excersizes there is. You type in "Genesis" and you get 3,000 torrents that have a G in it or some thing. If have no idea how that search engine works.

Sweet, I'm on dime. I now have a project for tonight, it'll be a break from all the Dead I've been pulling down. Thanks much for links, I appreciate it.

Searching on dime is one of the more frustrating excersizes there is. You type in "Genesis" and you get 3,000 torrents that have a G in it or some thing. If have no idea how that search engine works.

Do a search this way:

%Genesis%

There is a whole list there of characters you can use to aid you in a search. That is what I came up with a few years ago. It seems to work.

I should have figured, we use % with our work DB. Just don't like to think about work at home.

dime rules

you'll love this show

steurmer's playing is insanely great and i'm not sure i ever heard phil sing better

life-affirming stuff

(as for dead downloads, i downloaded the entire 1971 through 1979 projects on bt.etree.org ... mind-blowing ... i now have every dead show from 1971 through 1979 [some in multiple formats - aud, sb, matrix] on a giant external hard drive that i nicknamed hard drive to handle)

dime rules

you'll love this show

steurmer's playing is insanely great and i'm not sure i ever heard phil sing better

life-affirming stuff

(as for dead downloads, i downloaded the entire 1971 through 1979 projects on bt.etree.org ... mind-blowing ... i now have every dead show from 1971 through 1979 [some in multiple formats - aud, sb, matrix] on a giant external hard drive that i nicknamed hard drive to handle)

I got it. Sounds great, listened to Moonlit night/Musical Box and it is awesome. For some reason, when I import this into winamp, the first track, intro, and the last track, interview with Phil, don't come over, I can't figure out why. If I click on them in their folder they play in winamp but they won't import, very weird. SInce it's not part of the show I don't really care but it bugs me that they don't come over. Thanks again for the link. Have you heard the Montreal SBD from Duke tour? Pretty great. It's up on Dime.

Good name for your external HD. I saw those complete years for the dead stuff on bt, thats just crazy. The guys that take the time to put all of that stuff together are awesome. I've been on a kick just pulling down matrixes of interesting shows, trying to keep it under control a little. It's hard though when a click of a button gets you an awesome sounding recording.

Jesus Christ. Reading this makes me want to slit my wrists for being such an idiot/Luddite-type person. I have NO CLUE about how to do stuff like that - I have 2500 hours of GD and every bit of it was obtained through trades/snail mail. Hell, it's only taken me 25 years! :lol

Jesus Christ. Reading this makes me want to slit my wrists for being such an idiot/Luddite-type person. I have NO CLUE about how to do stuff like that - I have 2500 hours of GD and every bit of it was obtained through trades/snail mail. Hell, it's only taken me 25 years! :lol

haha ... yeah, you need to explore bit torrent - it's actually really easy, the software is simple and free download, and it will forever alter the way you listen to music

each dead project was so heavily seeded that each entire year probably took maybe two or three days to download. the only issue is where to keep this stuff, but the massive external drives are so cheap now it's pretty easy

i just checked & the projects are all still very heavily seeded (between 400 and 500 seeders), which basically means all those people are immediately available to share those torrents with you -- and the more seeders, the faster you download the shows.

give it a shot -- you'll be listening to every dead, wilco and genesis show you ever dreamed of within a week!!

(and there's plenty of people on this forum who could talk you through all the tech stuff, which is all very simple)

God also made the duck-billed platypus, so there's that.

Fair comment. 'All in a mouses night' is still a dreadful song though and almost manages to ruin (almost) an otherwise supurb record. When I skip back a couple of tracks and listen to 'One for the vine' I soon forgive Mr. Banks. What a song. I also love the 'Unquiet Slumbers For The Sleepers...In That Quiet Earth...Afterglow' passage which is also genius.

haha ... yeah, you need to explore bit torrent - it's actually really easy, the software is simple and free download, and it will forever alter the way you listen to music

each dead project was so heavily seeded that each entire year probably took maybe two or three days to download. the only issue is where to keep this stuff, but the massive external drives are so cheap now it's pretty easy

i just checked & the projects are all still very heavily seeded (between 400 and 500 seeders), which basically means all those people are immediately available to share those torrents with you -- and the more seeders, the faster you download the shows.

give it a shot -- you'll be listening to every dead, wilco and genesis show you ever dreamed of within a week!!

(and there's plenty of people on this forum who could talk you through all the tech stuff, which is all very simple)

I also know of a really good FLAC blog. The guys who runs it, puts up Genesis, Pink Floyd, and Grateful Dead shows all the time. I am not very fond of messing with Rapid Share links, but I will grab shows from there sometimes, instead of killing my ratio at Dime a Dozen.

Fair comment. 'All in a mouses night' is still a dreadful song though and almost manages to ruin (almost) an otherwise supurb record. When I skip back a couple of tracks and listen to 'One for the vine' I soon forgive Mr. Banks. What a song. I also love the 'Unquiet Slumbers For The Sleepers...In That Quiet Earth...Afterglow' passage which is also genius.

yeah, i skip over mouse, too

one for the vine is brilliant

I guess I'll be contrarian here and say that I kind of like Mouses Night, at least musically. The lyrics are sort of dumb. On the flip side, I think One For the Vine is little too long. I consider Wind and Wuthering my favorite Genesis record but I'm not sure I'd put any song from it in my top 5 Genesis tunes. I just think it's a really strong overall listening experience.

I had to look up the lyrics to remind myself how silly they were and ....they're as bad as I remembered. Lyrics in bold represent the lowpoint in Genesis, and indeed any, wordplay.

Loving Couple:

I can't see you but I know you're there.

Got to get beside you cos it's really cold out here.

Come up close to me you'll soon be warm.

Hold me tightly like we're sheltering from a storm.

Mouse:

Think I might go out for a stroll

Into the night, and out of this hole.

Maybe find me a meal.

Walking along this new shag pile

Presents a problem all the while.

Nearly the door.

Suddenly he bumps into wood, the door is closed.

A voice from the bed, he'll be exposed.

Which way to run, must make for the hole,

The light's been turned on, he's blind as a mole in coal.

Now I can see they're coming at me,

They've blocked off my door, I haven't a chance in hell.

Couple:

Come on baby let the poor thing go.

I'm not sleeping with that thing around here, no.

Alright then, I'll fetch a box from below,

Guard him carefully, they're very quick you know.

Mouse:

The door's been opened, my chance to escape.

Must run out quick, better sorry than late.

I'm out on the stairs.

They won't catch me now, I've the run of the house now.

I'll make it downstairs and into the breadbin.

That would be nice.

Suddenly he bumps into fur, that's very unwise,

A cat is much quicker than men and their eyes.

The chase that ensues can have only one end,

Unless outside help steps in for our friend in need.

But now the cat comes in for the kill,

His paw is raised, soon blood will spill, yes it will.

Cat:

Hard luck mouse, this is the end of your road.

The signpost says inside me, let me bear your heavy load.

But it's not to be, that final pounce

Knocks a jar upon his head, and lays him out.

But it's all in a mouse's night

To take on all those who would fight.

Cat's Story:

There I was with my back to the wall,

Then comes this monster mouse, he's ten feet tall,

With teeth and claws to match.

It only took one blow.

I had to look up the lyrics to remind myself how silly they were and ....they're as bad as I remembered. Lyrics in bold represent the lowpoint in Genesis, and indeed any, wordplay.

I'll go ahead and amend my previous comment from "sort of dumb" to "very f'in dumb" Been a long time since I've listened to this, forgot how inane these were, thanks for the reminder.

I do still like this song musically though.

not sure I'd put any song from it in my top 5 Genesis tunes.

ok, you got me thinking ...

here's my top 20 genesis tracks

1) musical box

2) supper's ready

3) cinema show

4) carpet crawlers

5) stagnation

6) firth of fifth

7) watcher of the skies

8) return of the giant hogweed

9) afterglow

10) in the cage