saw The Musical Box last night ... was very skeptical ... "why would i want to see a genesis cover band?"

blown away

great stuff

I was there Friday. You should check out when the do the Selling England tour. The lead singer does a better Gabriel IMO.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was there Friday. You should check out when the do the Selling England tour. The lead singer does a better Gabriel IMO.

is it the same singer? somebody said they use a different singer for the gabriel era shows?

i thought they were kind of more into the gabriel stuff last night - cinema show, firth of fifth, the lamb medley, supper's ready were highlights

the phil collins dude was a hell of a drummer ... both drummers ruled & the banks dude was phenomenal

is it the same singer? somebody said they use a different singer for the gabriel era shows?

Not really sure. I think so but don't follow it closely enough to really know. Not much of tribute band follower (this is the only tribute band I ever saw) but as you said, these guys are really good. Vocals aside, if you gave someone the pepsi challenge on the real genesis and the musical box, I think they'd have trouble telling them apart, at least I would. Maybe the drums would be the give away but the guys playing hacket, banks and rutherford are spot on.

The whole concept of doing note for note, visual effect for visual effect copies of tours could really backfire unless you are really good and they are. That goes to my original response, I think whoever does Gabriel in the gabriel era tours does a better job of doing gabriel than the Phil guy doing Phil, whether its the same guy or not.

Now I'm waiting for the Duke tour, to me, that was the last great Genesis tour that mixed the old with the new, and I love Duke.

Oh yeah, i think it sucks that gabriel won't preform at the induction, that rehearsal excuse is bullshit. Go pratice carpet crawlers for 2 days and shut the eff up. Or better yet, Back in NYC, now that would be cool.

Peter Gabriel is one of my all time musical heroes... Those years of Genesis were the band's finest, and some of the most remarkable rock music ever recorded, imho... It's not easy stuff to grasp with casual listens (much like Wilco, let's face it), but like Wilco, it's music that fifteen, twenty spins later, means more than you could ever have grasped/expected. They SO deserve their spot in the HoF. But which Genesis is being inducted? Invisible Touch sold a hell of a lot more "units" than Foxtrot. But I know which record remains in my playlist.

so I caught The Musical Box last weekend. had zero expectations and was pretty skeptical. why would i want to see a Genesis cover band when I saw the real thing 15 - 17 times.

but i'll tell you what, they were unreal. the nailed every nuance of every song, and if i wasn't sitting so close to the front and couldn't see the faces, i honestly wouldn't have been able to tell the difference. musically, they took no shortcuts - their arrangements, musicianship and instrumentation was all 100 percent honest to the originals. taking it for what it was - it wasn't genesis, but it was great to hear supper's ready, firth of fifth, dance on a volcano, cinema show, etc., performed so exquisitely.

recommend these guys if they swing by your town

so I caught The Musical Box last weekend. had zero expectations and was pretty skeptical. why would i want to see a Genesis cover band when I saw the real thing 15 - 17 times.

but i'll tell you what, they were unreal. the nailed every nuance of every song, and if i wasn't sitting so close to the front and couldn't see the faces, i honestly wouldn't have been able to tell the difference. musically, they took no shortcuts - their arrangements, musicianship and instrumentation was all 100 percent honest to the originals. taking it for what it was - it wasn't genesis, but it was great to hear supper's ready, firth of fifth, dance on a volcano, cinema show, etc., performed so exquisitely.

recommend these guys if they swing by your town

Where did you see these guys, HWF? I'd totally be into seeing this, but living near India-no-place I really doubt if they'll be coming this way. Ever. :hmm

Where did you see these guys, HWF? I'd totally be into seeing this, but living near India-no-place I really doubt if they'll be coming this way. Ever. :hmm

hey, the show was at the keswick theater in glenside, pa. - just north of philly

how far are you from chicago? they're playing the vic theater on saturday night

this tour is the trick or the tail tour, which means they are playing what genesis played on the trick tour (same set list, same order, same everything)

i was in chicago for work in 2007 and drove to indianapolis for a concert & made it back by the next morning, so i know it's do-able!!

I'm about 2 1/2 hours south of Chicago. I'd rather do almost anything else than drive in that city but I think I'd make an exception for this. :thumbup

I'm about 2 1/2 hours south of Chicago. I'd rather do almost anything else than drive in that city but I think I'd make an exception for this. :thumbup

MB, it's SO worth it... I missed this tour, but I saw them do the Lamb tour, and the Selling England tour. To see Supper's Ready performed in full costume, etc.. was a dream come true. Or Watcher of the Skies with that big triangle head Gabriel wears on the "Genesis Live" cover. It was incredible. I had to drive to Boston for both of those tours (they played at Berklee), and didn't mind a mile.

• 3 weeks later...

He put a covers album over his former bandmates? (Big surprise - another old guy making a covers album).

Genesis Says Peter Gabriel Missing Rock Hall Induction Is No 'Snub'

Peter Gabriel's Genesis bandmates are giving him the benefit of the doubt for bowing out of next month's Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony. Gabriel will not attend the March 15 affair because it conflicts with orchestra rehearsal dates for his upcoming European and North American concerts to promote his new album, "Scratch My Back." "(Gabriel) rang up and said, 'Look, everyone's going to say I'm trying to snub you and all the rest of it,' " Genesis keyboardist Tony Banks tells Billboard.com. "I said, 'Well, just tell them we didn't want you to come, so we're snubbing you!' "No...I mean, it's a fair enough thing. It would've been lovely if he could've come, but I understand his problem," Banks adds.

Guitarist/bassist Mike Rutherford says Gabriel was "very keen" about the induction and feels the singer's absence is "a very legitimate excuse. I know he would (come) if he could, but it's just the wrong timing." Gabriel's decision has effectively scuttled any hopes of Genesis performing at the ceremony, though a full complement of Genesis members will be there, including: drummer-turned-frontman Phil Collins, who's still rehabilitating from spinal surgery and is unable to play; guitarist Steve Hackett, who left the band in 1977; and longtime touring members Chester Thompson and Daryl Stuermer.

"I think at my age, any accolade is enjoyed," says Rutherford, who turns 60 in October. "It's nice to be inducted into something." Neither Banks nor Rutherford expect the induction to inspire any sort of renewed Genesis activity, however. The group last toured in 2007 and has not discussed anything further, although Banks notes that "we never rule it out." But he adds that he "can't see us doing any writing again, but in terms of just (playing live), it's always a possibility."

Rutherford, meanwhile, says that "the last tour was a nice kind of moment; it made us appreciate the band and each other as human beings. It kind of reminded us how much fun we'd had. And you never know what will happen; it depends on who's standing in five years' time or something like that."

The Genesis members are staying busy on their own, however. Besides Gabriel's project, Collins is recording an album of Motown songs that's due out this fall; he's also slated to receive the Johnny Mercer Award from the Songwriter's Hall of Fame on June 17. Hackett is collaborating on a project with Yes bassist Chris Squire, while Banks, who issued a remastered and expanded version of his 1979 solo debut "A Curious Feeling" last year, is working on a classical piece. Rutherford, meanwhile, has reactivated Mike & the Mechanics with British singer Andrew Roachford, among others, and expects to have a new album finished by May.

He put a covers album over his former bandmates? (Big surprise - another old guy making a covers album).

Genesis Says Peter Gabriel Missing Rock Hall Induction Is No 'Snub'

curious about hackett/squire thing. anyone hear hackett's most recent album? can't seem to find it anywhere. he's always busy. collins putting out a motown record...not surprising, but still sad. can't believe it's the same dude who sang on trick of the tale and played drums in brand x!

What Hardwood said.

Since Phil is nursing a back problem (and probably can't play the drums) then HE should get up and sing Carpet Crawlers or IKWIL or some Gabriel song and kill with it. Ha!

That album has been getting pretty viscous reviews, I think the critics might be treating that Cop Out movie more nicely than Gabriel's record. In other news Stagnation on Tresspass is pretty much the best song ever.

--Mike

Guest Runaway Jim

Currently listening to Foxtrot. It's my introduction to Genesis, minus the cheesy shit from the early or mid 90s.

It's taking a while to get into, but I dig Horizons and Supper's Ready. Supper's Ready is really just bad ass. The album is growing on me. I hope to check out The Lamb Lies on Broadway next.

Currently listening to Foxtrot. It's my introduction to Genesis, minus the cheesy shit from the early or mid 90s.

It's taking a while to get into, but I dig Horizons and Supper's Ready. Supper's Ready is really just bad ass. The album is growing on me. I hope to check out The Lamb Lies on Broadway next.

i'd go with selling england by the pound next

lamb is ok, a bit over-rated, lots of filler

selling england rules

then go to nursery cryme and trespass

the last few minutes of supper's ready - starting with apocolypse in 9-8 - is some of the greatest music ever written

tony banks is the greatest musician who ever lived

if you have a vinyl copy of Face Value it's really fun to take a picture with your finger up Phil's nose. ha. crop it so you only see his face. i did that yesterday. if i had photo editing software to make my hand black and white like the photo it would look halfway believable. =)

Guest Runaway Jim

Ok, I'll give those other albums a shot. I want to check out Lamb just because people on here, earlier in this thread, said it was a huge influence on Trey and gang.

Ok, I'll give those other albums a shot. I want to check out Lamb just because people on here, earlier in this thread, said it was a huge influence on Trey and gang.

I actually think Lamb is better than Selling England but you do have to sift through some of the 2nd disc filler. Disc 1 is pretty f'in solid, love Back in NYC and Counting Out Time. Hard for me to listen to In The Cage without the Cinema Show/Slipperman/Afterglow medley to follow though.

I'm kind of the weird Genesis fan in that my favorite period is 76-80. For me, the songwriting got stronger and more focused. At Abacab they kind of lose me although there are some good songs from it (and the sessions) but with Lucky Charms and Invisible Touch I'm gone, except for Home By The Sea and Domino.

Disc 1 is pretty f'in solid, love Back in NYC and Counting Out Time. Hard for me to listen to In The Cage without the Cinema Show/Slipperman/Afterglow medley to follow though.

yeah, no doubt there are some great great tracks on Lamb ... Carpet Crawlers one of the best songs ever written. I've never been a huge fan of the medleys, but the In the Cage / Cinema Show / brief snippet of Slipperman / Afterglow medley was just mindblowing. Afterglow was just massive live, and Phil sang the hell out of it during the late 1970s. damn, i gotta listen to some 1978 genesis tonight

I'm kind of the weird Genesis fan in that my favorite period is 76-80. For me, the songwriting got stronger and more focused. At Abacab they kind of lose me although there are some good songs from it (and the sessions) but with Lucky Charms and Invisible Touch I'm gone, except for Home By The Sea and Domino.

i kind of lost interest around Abacab as well, although I think You Might Recall is a really strong long-period track, one of the few I like

I saw Genesis with Gabriel once and without him about 20 times, and the band was never better live than in 1978, although 1973 was close.

i don't even know what lucky charms is

i kind of lost interest around Abacab as well, although I think You Might Recall is a really strong long-period track, one of the few I like[ /quote]

Yeah, I love You Might Recall and Paperlate. Abacab would have been much better had they included those 2 and skipped that dopey Who Dunnit and Man On The Corner

I saw Genesis with Gabriel once and without him about 20 times, and the band was never better live than in 1978, although 1973 was close.

Really? And Then There Were Three is my least favorite record from that era and have reisited downloading torrents of '78 shows because of all of the ATTWT material. Maybe I'll have to check it out. I love the Duke tour, great mix of old and new.

i don't even know what lucky charms is

LOL. It's that self titled '83 record with Mama all of those Lucky Charms shapes on the cover. That's what we called it back in the day.

i love Watcher of the Skies. Check out youtube for live versions with gabriel and his cape. great stuff. i always wondered why they didn't to horizons into supper's ready live. seemed like a nice intro.

i'd go with selling england by the pound next

lamb is ok, a bit over-rated, lots of filler

selling england rules

then go to nursery cryme and trespass

the last few minutes of supper's ready - starting with apocolypse in 9-8 - is some of the greatest music ever written

tony banks is the greatest musician who ever lived

selling is a great next step. lamb has got it's moments too. i also love duke.