Wolfgang's Vault

Genesis

Shrine Auditorium (Los Angeles, CA)

Peter Gabriel - lead vocals

Phil Collins - drums, vocals

Tony Banks - keyboards

Steve Hackett - guitar

Mike Rutherford - bass, guitar, vocals

This show has been counted among the "Holy Grail" items for Genesis fans, as it's rumored to be one of the only professional recordings made on the band

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

Has anyone heard anything by the band Henry Cow.

According to Allmusic, Henry Cow is in the Genesis "genre of music", hence I am asking in this forum.

From Gallanter's write up, Henry Cow sounds interesting.

HENRY COW [FRED FRITH/TIM HODGKINSON/CHRIS CUTLER/GEORGIE BORN/JOHN

GREAVES/LINDSAY COOPER/DAGMAR KRAUSE et al] 's

40th Anniversary Box #1 - The Road Vols 1-5:

Beginnings/1974-5/Hamburg/Trondheim [5 CD Box Set + Book] (ReR

HC7-11BOX; UK) Disc 1 - Beginnings; Disc 2 - 1974-5; Disc 3 -

Hamburg; Disc 4 & 5 - Trondheim

and..

40th Anniversary Box #2 - The Road Vols 6-10 [4 CD + DVD Box Set +

Book] (ReR HC12-16BOX; UK) Disc 1 [v6] - Stockholm & Goteburg; Disc

2 [v7] - Later And Post-Virgin; Disc 3 [v8] - Bremen; Disc 4 [v9] -

Late; Disc 5 [v10; DVD] - Vevey 1976

"My introduction to Henry Cow: 1972 was the year when it all came

together for me. I entered college (Glassboro State) in September and

finally found a new family of friends who were as enthusiastic as I

was about music. My two favorite bands were the Mothers of Invention

and Soft Machine plus I listened to as much interesting music as

possible. I took a "History of Jazz" course freshman year with Manny

Albam as one of my two professors. It started with Herbie Hancock

('Sextant' LP) and Miles Davis ('Bitches Brew') and then worked its

way backwards through jazz's long history. I soon became a jazz fan,

absorbing everything I could get my hands on. I recall hitching home

for a weekend to visit my girlfriend Mindy and hanging out with an

older friend named Bob Grohl [Dave's brother]. Bob had the largest

collection of British import albums and singles that I've ever seen

and turned me on to hundreds of obscure British rock bands through

our long friendship. He played me the first Patto album, which blew

my mind and said he had a present. He handed me an album and said

that it was way too weird for him but that I would most likely dig

it. It was Henry Cow's first album, 'Leg End' and he was right since

it became one of my favorite records of all time. The first time I

listened to it, I was mystified. It didn't sound like anything I had

ever heard, yet I thought I heard the influence of The Mothers (circa

'Uncle Meat') and Soft Machine ('Third' & 'Four'). I played it over

and over for my friends from college and home and turned many folks

on to this unique gem. 1972-1974 were my favorite years for music

with a number of my (still) favorite records produced then: Robert

Wyatt's 'Rock Bottom' & 'Ruth is Stranger Richard', the first two

Henry Cow albums & the first two Hatfield & the North albums.

It took me a long time to figure out how this music was made and

what exactly I dug about those two Henry Cow records. They still

remain mysterious in certain ways even today. I wrote to members of

Henry Cow during the summer of 1974 and when I got back to college in

September, lo & behold, I received response from Fred Frith, Chris

Cutler & Tim Hodgkinson, with a letter from each. I had asked about

their influences and the music they liked and received lengthy notes

from Chris & Fred and concise response from Tim. My three roommates &

myself read these letters over and over to learn more about these

mysterious folks. Since then, I have become friends with all three

and continue to look forward to all of the discs they have been

involved with through the years. I asked Fred, Tim and Chris to play

together for a DMG curated month at The Stone in December of 2006 for

the first time since the Henry Cow days (1968-1979) and they did! We

recorded all four trio sets, which will eventually be released on the

DMG/ARC label, so please remain patient.

In the meantime, this Holy Grail double-collection of Henry Cow

live recordings, The Road Vols 1-10, has finally been released and

all we can say is, "Hallelujah!". During their recorded lifespan,

Henry Cow released just six albums, five studio and one live double

album ('Concerts'). It has been a couple of years since Chris Cutler

mentioned that he was working on a large Henry Cow live box-set, so

there has been a great deal of anticipation involved. The great news

is this: this massive box-set with 9 CD's and 1 DVD is even better

than anyone could've imagined. As with Soft Machine, whose personnel

and sound changed/evolved on every record, Henry Cow's distinctive

sound was constantly in flux. This colossal box-set, fills in the

space between each of the six albums with incredible live

performances from various venues in Europe throughout their history.

As with any important document (box-set), it will take a while to

absorb this entire 10-disc set, there is a great deal listen to and

to think about. A friend of mine took an entire weekend to listen

carefully to this 10-disc set and it still reeling from the immense

amount of historic music and great listening involved. I am slowly

listening to each disc, one at a time, so that I can consider and

savor each one. One of the great things about this box is that it

includes two lengthy (60 page) booklets which discuss the way these

pieces develop. All members of Henry Cow get a chance to discuss

their time with and ideas about the band. This helps to unravel the

mystery quite a bit. There a number of both fascinating and

occasionally hilarious stories told throughout. A longer version of

this review will appear in our database as I review each disc.

Prog(ressive) heads worldwide are now rejoicing with the release of

this fabulous double box-set. Without any doubt these are the finest

historic recordings of the year." - Bruce Lee Gallanter, Downtown

Music Gallery

It's very easy to put a beat down on the pop mid-late '80s era. I'd venture to say that close to none of us posting in this thread are regularly spinning Invisible Touch and the like. The period of '70 to '80, with or without Peter Gabriel, was pretty unique, though. So, I basically agree with you . . .

I will stand up for 80's Genesis. I am a kid of the 80's. I was born in 1980 and grew up with 80's Genesis. The songs from 80's Genesis got lots of play during my childhood. I loved the video for Land of Confusion!. I ended up buying the album on vinyl and played it oftent. Also, We Can't Dance I played oftent. Sure I was only a youth, sure it was very cheesey but I did enjoy it at the time and get sentimental when I hear this stuff. Ironically it lead me to be introduced to earlier Genesis which sounds nothing like anythign else. The funny thing is for most of my childhood Phil Collins Genesis was the only Genesis I knew of.

I will stand up for 80's Genesis. I am a kid of the 80's. I was born in 1980 and grew up with 80's Genesis. The songs from 80's Genesis got lots of play during my childhood. I loved the video for Land of Confusion!. I ended up buying the album on vinyl and played it oftent. Also, We Can't Dance I played oftent. Sure I was only a youth, sure it was very cheesey but I did enjoy it at the time and get sentimental when I hear this stuff. Ironically it lead me to be introduced to earlier Genesis which sounds nothing like anythign else. The funny thing is for most of my childhood Phil Collins Genesis was the only Genesis I knew of.

i used to hear that from a lot of people ... "Peter Gabriel was in Genesis?"

i remember expecting the worst when i rode my bike to the neighborhood record store to pick up Trick of the Tail and being just blown away. that's when it him me that tony banks was every bit as important to the early band as peter.

i still think Trick / Wind & Wuthering / And Then there were three / are a hell of a three-record run and although things started to get uneven after that, duke & abacab have some great stuff also. they did lose me after that though ...

amazing band in both incarnations

I have been playing Duke and Selling England.. a lot lately at work. Really getting to like the early period stuff and getting to know it better. I still can't take to anything they did after that Mama single though.

Mama ain't too bad - Phil is DEFINITELY channeling Peter's vibe on that one. Just imagine how good it would have been with Peter handling it!

Mama ain't too bad - Phil is DEFINITELY channeling Peter's vibe on that one. Just imagine how good it would have been with Peter handling it!

Well, I meant that it was a great single but after that I kinda lost it with them. The Land Of Confusion stuff and all that malarkey didn't appeal to me at all.

• 1 month later...

The Musical Box

(Official site - check out the clips section)

The Musical Box (band)

Taking their name from the 1971 track of the same name, they formed in Montreal, Quebec in 1993 to commemorate the twentieth anniversary of the 1973 album Selling England by the Pound. The original band was a seven-piece, and incorporated visual effects and costumes that were in the original Genesis shows of the 1970s.
The Musical Box

(Official site - check out the clips section)

The Musical Box (band)

I've seen this band twice... Doing the Lamb show and the Selling England tour (white show). Friggin' AMAZING!!! Just to witness a Supper's Ready with full costumes, blocking, etc.. As a lifelong fanatic of that lineup, but never having seen 'em, it was (nearly) a dream come true.

Exactly. I thought the "Close To The Edge" Yes tribute was pretty damn cool, and now this. Stuff like this goes so far beyond the 'cover band' thing. I would KILL to have a band like these.

I was thinking of the Yes band. They should do a tour together.

I'd go see that, but the Genesis band really should have named themselves "Hogweed."

The Genesis 'Live' remasters box set is in the making. It will follow the same format as the two recently released box sets. It will include 'Live', 'Seconds Out', 'Three Side Live', Live over europe' and 'Long and Short'. Each disc will include bonus content. I believe the 'Live' album will include Suppers Ready.

http://forums.genesis-movement.org/viewtop...?f=1&t=1780

• 2 months later...

Billboard article about the live re-masters:

Genesis Round Out Reissues With Live Box Set

July 09, 2009 12:51 PM ET

Gary Graff, Detroit

When Genesis released "Genesis: 1970-1975," its third boxed set of studio albums, last fall, keyboardist Tony Banks told Billboard.com that "the next logical thing to do would be something with the live albums. We have a few of those, and we have quite a bit of stuff in the vaults that could be added to flesh things out a bit."

That will happen on Sept. 29, when Rhino releases "Genesis Live 1973-2007," a 10-disc set featuring five of the group's six official live albums -- it will include a spot for last year's "Live Over Europe" album from the 2007 reunion tour -- along with a wealth of unreleased material. Included in the latter will be "Live at the Rainbow 1973," an oft-bootlegged nine-song collection (portions of which have been previously released) recorded during October of that year in London after the release of "Selling England By the Pound."

The 1973 release "Genesis Live" will be bolstered by five tracks from "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway" tour recorded in January of 1975 at the Shrine Auditorium in Los Angeles. "Seconds Out" from 1977 will remain intact, while the version of 1982's "Three Sides Live" in the box will feature the live tracks from the U.K. edition of the album -- "One For the Vine," "Fountain of Salmacis" and a medley of "It" and "Watcher of the Skies" -- rather than the studio songs that were part of the U.S. package. The box also reconciles the two versions of "The Way We Walk," which had been sub-titled "The Shorts" (1992) and "The Long" (1993), and combines them in the original concert sequence.

Genesis members Banks and Rutherford rode herd on the remixing of the albums with Nick Davis. "Genesis Live," "Seconds Out" and "Live At The Rainbow 1973" all feature 5.1 Dolby Digital Surround Sound versions.

Delving into the backlog of live recordings may also hasten the release of individual shows via Genesis' web site, something the group promised when it launched the portal several years ago. "We still talk about that," Banks acknowledged. "We will get to it. I don't know when, but I promise you we'll do it. We've pulled tapes from all sorts of areas, and we've got board mixes from quite an early era, so that will be quite fun for some people." Rutherford added that, "There's some quite nice things there, I think. It just requires energies from someone to pull it all together and put it all out in a way that makes some sort of sense."

The full track listing for "Genesis Live 1973-2007" is:

Genesis Live: "Watcher Of The Skies," "Get 'Em Out By Friday," "The Return Of The Giant Hogweed," "The Musical Box," "The Knife" Bonus Tracks: "Back In N.Y.C.," "Fly On A Windshield," "Broadway Melody Of 1974," "Anyway," "The Chamber Of 32 Doors"

Seconds Out: "Squonk," "Carpet Crawlers," "Robbery, Assault & Battery," "Afterglow," "Firth Of Fifth," "I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe)," "The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway"/"The Musical Box (closing)," "Supper's Ready," "The Cinema Show," "Dance On A Volcano"/"Los Endos"

Three Sides Live: "Turn It On Again," "Dodo," "Abacab," "Behind The Lines," "Duchess," "Me And Sarah Jane," "Follow You Follow Me," "Misunderstanding," "In The Cage"/"Cinema Show"/"Slippermen"/"Afterglow," "One For The Vine," "Fountain Of Salmacis," "It"/"Watcher Of The Skies"

The Way We Walk: "Land Of Confusion," "No Son Of Mine," "Driving The Last Spike," "Old Medley" -- "Dance On A Volcano"/"The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway"/"The Musical Box"/"Firth Of Fifth"/"I Know What I Like," "Throwing It All Away," "Fading Lights," "Jesus He Knows Me," "Home By The Sea"/"Second Home By The Sea," "Hold On My Heart" "Domino" ("In The Glow Of The Night"/"The Last Domino"), "The Drum Thing," " I Can't Dance," "Tonight, Tonight, Tonight," "Invisible Touch," "Turn It On Again," "Mama," "That's All," "In Too Deep"

Live At The Rainbow 1973: "Watcher Of The Skies," "Dancing With The Moonlit Knight," "The Cinema Show," "I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe)," "Firth Of Fifth," "The Musical Box," "More Fool Me," "The Battle Of Epping Forest," "Supper's Ready"

The Genesis 'Live' remasters box set is in the making. It will follow the same format as the two recently released box sets. It will include 'Live', 'Seconds Out', 'Three Side Live', Live over europe' and 'Long and Short'. Each disc will include bonus content. I believe the 'Live' album will include Suppers Ready.

http://forums.genesis-movement.org/viewtop...?f=1&t=1780

This is gonna be AWESOME. I sure wish Wheelco was still around here. He must be drooling over this.

In response to Hardwood, that '73 London show is killer! Wheel sent me that one, and the Jan. '75 LLDOB show, and a couple others. All of it is essential listening imo.