Where to begin with Wilco?

Hello everyone,

First of all, I'd just like to say I'm happy I found this forum and community. But getting down to business, over the last few years I've been slowly loving Wilco more and more. It started with Heavy Metal Drummer and then I was off and on with YHF and AGIB. I always liked the band, but never realized how much until recently.

Anyway, I bought Tweedy's Live In The Pacific North-West DVD this past year as a kind of a platform to dive off of into his giant catalogue of music. Now don't get on my case about this, but I chose this because my love for the Dave Matthews Band began the same way (I don't know how everyone feels about Dave around these parts). I used the acoustic Live At Luther College to begin my adventure into his catalogue of music. Anyway, that worked for me, so I thought I'd do the same with Jeff. The only difference is that I've found out his musical tastes and albums go off in all sorts of different directions.

So anyway, I've got YHF, AGIB, Being There, Mermaid Ave (1 & 2), a couple songs off Summerteeth and a couple random live songs. I just picked up Sky Blue Sky and love it and I'm hoping to see the band sometime this summer, which I'm excited for.

So, basically, my question is can anyone point me in some sort of direction as of how to tackle his IMMENSE catalogue of music? Maybe a specific album or live show (I'm currently downloading Jeff's 2007-04-06 show)? Or should I just find my own way (which is what I did with Dave)? I know this is going to be a LONG process, but thankfully I'm highly looking forward to it and waiting to enjoy every second.

Any help or opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Try the VW commercial first.

:lol

Sorry I couldn't resist. All the stuff is great -- I am a huge fan of the live stuff -- grab the Nov 2006 Chicago shows. The taping is fantastic.

So anyway, I've got YHF, AGIB, Being There, Mermaid Ave (1 & 2), a couple songs off Summerteeth and a couple random live songs. I just picked up Sky Blue Sky and love it and I'm hoping to see the band sometime this summer, which I'm excited for.

Speaking just of studio albums...

I'd spend as much time with Being There, YHF, and SBS as possible and fall in love with those first.

Then spend time with 'Summerteeth' to marvel at the turn they took post-Being There. Then 'A Ghost is Born' to see what happens when you do a lot of drugs and lose your songwriting sidekick (#2).

Then buy/rent the DVD of 'Man in the Sand'. Next, listen to Mermaid Avenue Vols. 1 & 2--starting with "Remember the Mountain Bed" off of Vol. 2 and "One by One" from Vol 1.

Then listen to the double live CD, "Kicking Television".

radio

So, basically, my question is can anyone point me in some sort of direction as of how to tackle his IMMENSE catalogue of music?

For solo Tweedy shows, a great place to start is March 4-5, 2005.

http://owlandbear.com/downloads/20050305tw...ic_matrix_flac/

http://owlandbear.com/downloads/20050304tw...ic_matrix_flac/

I started with A.M. the 1st album but fell in love with Wilco through Being There the 2nd album. It's how I started and I'm hooked. You can always do a little bit of research maybe through Amazon because each album is quite different and you might just find one that hits the style of music you prefer. Hope that helps. Also I'd save the Mermaids for last. B)

Dave Matthews :no :throwup

Just kidding, broseph (cool name, reminds me of Anchorman). Lots of sarcasm amongst these peeps. Welcome.

It sounds like you only need A.M. and Summerteeth to complete the studio albums. They are all different from each other. The live album from '05, Kicking Television, is a good measuring stick for how the current lineup sounds.

My best advice: Go see them live as soon as you can. Where are you from?

IMMENSE cataloque? 6 albums and don't forget Golden Smog- Down By The Old Mainstream .The other ones like Loose Fur,Minus5 and a few hundred live items will follow automatically .Be glad you didn't "discover" Neil"IMMENSE"Young

IMMENSE cataloque? 6 albums and don't forget Golden Smog- Down By The Old Mainstream .The other ones like Loose Fur,Minus5 and a few hundred live items will follow automatically .Be glad you didn't "discover" Neil"IMMENSE"Young

Calm down.

Try the VW commercial first.

good one! It's hard to call Jeff a sellout when a good portion of his "fans" get studio albums from dubious locations. I don't mind Jeff making a few dollars...I think he was driving a Honda in IATTBYH. Maybe VDUB will give him a Toureg so he can try to fit in with his "East Hampton" neighbors!

Does Jeff have an immense catalogue? I never really thought so. Try 30 years of dead tapes, Neil Young, Dylan, or Zappa. Jeff is manageable.. But watch out for that Tupelo stuff, you may get sidetracked into the Carter Family and then you're stuck with us blues and roots scouring folks for years.

Does Jeff have an immense catalogue? I never really thought so. Try 30 years of dead tapes, Neil Young, Dylan, or Zappa. Jeff is manageable.. But watch out for that Tupelo stuff, you may get sidetracked into the Carter Family and then you're stuck with us blues and roots scouring folks for years.
Nothing wrong with that....

LouieB

I dunno, I think I meant "immense" as in variety... but that was based on what I'd peiced together from reading about Jeff and his work. Maybe it's just as much of a musical evolution as any other band...I won't know until I listen to it all. I can't wait. :thumbup

I dunno, I think I meant "immense" as in variety... but that was based on what I'd peiced together from reading about Jeff and his work. Maybe it's just as much of a musical evolution as any other band...I won't know until I listen to it all. I can't wait. :thumbup

If you're a newer fan, there's definitely a lot of material to cover. There's all the studio stuff, some live stuff, side projects, UT and unreleased/rare stuff. I would consider the size to be rather significant. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions.