To mark the 40th anniversary of the original release of Pink Floyd's first album 'The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn', a special edition is planned for release via EMI Records on Tues 28th August in North America, and Monday September 3rd in Europe.

The packaging, designed by Storm Thorgerson, resembles a cloth-covered book, and holds 3 CD discs, along with a 12-page reproduction Syd Barrett notebook. Discs 1 and 2 will contain the full 'Piper' album, represented in both stereo and mono versions. Both have been newly remastered by James Guthrie. Disc 3 includes bonus tracks, including the following: all the Pink Floyd singles from 1967, ('Arnold Layne', 'See Emily Play', and 'Apples And Oranges'), plus the B sides 'Candy And A Current Bun' and 'Paintbox'. Other tracks are a version of 'Interstellar Overdrive' - Take 2 of the original recording sessions, previously only available on an EP in France - and the 1967 stereo version of 'Apples And Oranges'.

Other activities surrounding the 40th anniversary celebrations will be announced in due course.

Dang ... that's one of my favorite albums of all time.

They need to have some better bonus tracks on Disc 3: at the very least, remastered versions of Scream Thy Last Scream and Vegetable Man.

I agree. I have yet to ever hear either of those tracks you mention. this is great news!

This does indeed sound great, Vegetable Man is a must for inclusion I would have thought. Don't ya get peeved with all these re-releases and remasters? How many times are we expected to shell out for stuff?

This does indeed sound great, Vegetable Man is a must for inclusion I would have thought. Don't ya get peeved with all these re-releases and remasters? How many times are we expected to shell out for stuff?

Hang with me here, but here's a crazy thought. With music becoming increasingly distributed digitally, I wonder about the possibility of purchasing "upgrade subscriptions".(similar to a piece of software--say, your antivirus software or something) Buy a song/album and it comes with "free upgrades/re-releases" for X amount of time, at the end of which time you can opt to extend your subscription (for a fee, of course) to cover future re-releases. I'm really not sure if I like that thought...just figured I'd throw it out there for you guys to tear apart and say what a terrible idea it is. :P

Or you could just buy it once and Oink the re-releases, if that's your bag. :lol

I've actually thought of that too, which is no recommendation in itself really. The thing about these re-releases and box sets comprising stuff you already have is that they are always packaged so beautifully and you end up wanting it anyway.

"Vegetable Man" is a Syd Barrett song. I've never heard his version, but I heard a version once that was either done by the Jesus and Mary Chain or My Bloody Valentine.

Those songs are out there to snag. Personally, I am not that big of a Syd fan and not really into PF all that much to begin with. If I listen to them - it has to be Meddle/DSOTM/Live At Pompeii type stuff.