I always think of the Randy Newman song about ELO....also for some reason I also think of the Sex Pistols EMI, which has nothing to do with ELO.

LouieB

yup.

So do tell..how great was it?? Did Jay Bennett show up? I am so pissed I was out of town.

LouieB

I always think of the Randy Newman song about ELO....also for some reason I also think of the Sex Pistols EMI, which has nothing to do with ELO.

LouieB

So do tell..how great was it?? Did Jay Bennett show up? I am so pissed I was out of town.

LouieB

it was really good. lot's of folks showed up, but it was far from being sold out (which kind of surprised me). Jay was there, they did about 4 or 5 songs together, including a nice cover of "Me and Paul".

I must be a minority here because I've always been a fan of ELO. Maybe it stems from long car rides with my parents. I also did see ELO part2 (sans Jeff Lynn) in concert with an orchestra.

My faves have got to be "Do Ya", "Turn To Stone", & "Showdown" (for it's appearance in Kingpin)

Edit: Wow... I can't believe I'm also going to go ahead and admit "All Over The World" from the Xanadu Soundtrack.

I'm not a huge fan. I don't find their music, nor the music of Jeff Lynne as offensive as some here do. I've never really owed too much of their stuff because it was always on the radio. What I have always tried to own is a copy of face the music which is a darned fine album. Of course now in the era of the CD you can't play it backwards to hear the hidden message.

I find that they got really commercial eventually but On The Third Day I think is almost revoulationary and isn't commercial at all. They're almost a guilty pleasure for me.

I like most of the stuff he did for Tom Petty, but the problem is all his production / drums sound the same, no matter who he was working with. Like the stuff he did on the Beatles single, Free As a Bird, or whatever it was called, that made it sound like "Jeff Lynne Productions"...

And for that, he should be punished. Hard.

When I was a kid their stuff was on the radio all the time. Do Ya, Turn To Stone, Sweet Talkin' Woman, Can't Get It Out of My Head ... all very radio friendly, and just as good as most of the Top 40 I heard, or so I thought at the time.

I never bought any of their records, but I knew a lot of the songs ... just didn't hear them for years. Recently, however, I picked up a copy of their greatest hits at the library, thinking I'd check it out for the nostalgia factor.

I was stunned by how bad it actually was. Even the songs I thought were great 30 years ago sound like utter crap today. The over the top production, the grating string sections ... I just kept hearing part of one hit after another, pushing the skip button. I couldn't get through a single song.

They were still better than Journey, though. :lol

Oh man, that's a whole thread in itself...'How Bad Does Journey Suck?' :lol

When I was a kid their stuff was on the radio all the time. Do Ya, Turn To Stone, Sweet Talkin' Woman, Can't Get It Out of My Head ... all very radio friendly, and just as good as most of the Top 40 I heard, or so I thought at the time.

I never bought any of their records, but I knew a lot of the songs ... just didn't hear them for years. Recently, however, I picked up a copy of their greatest hits at the library, thinking I'd check it out for the nostalgia factor.

I was stunned by how bad it actually was. Even the songs I thought were great 30 years ago sound like utter crap today. The over the top production, the grating string sections ... I just kept hearing part of one hit after another, pushing the skip button. I couldn't get through a single song.

that's a bit harsh, but to each his own, right ?

It seems really funny now, but in the early 70's ELO had a certain coolness to them. Certainly up until about 1975.

today is you lucky day - is you are signed up with Wolfgang's Vault.

Winterland

San Francisco, CA

02/14/1976

Fire On High

Cello Solo

Nightrider

Cello Solo

Show Down

Eldorado / Can't Get It Out Of My Head

Poorboy

Be Your Guy

Eldorado (Part 2)

Violin Solo

Strange Magic

10538 Overture / Do Ya

Evil Woman

Ma Ma Belle4

Rollover Beethoven

Jeff Lynne - guitar, lead vocals

Bev Bevan - drums

Mike Kaminski - violin

Hugh McDowell - cello

Melvyn Gale - cello

Kelly Groucutt - bass, percussion, vocals

Richard Tandy - keyboards, vocals

Date Night 1976: It

today is you lucky day - is you are signed up with Wolfgang's Vault.

I saw them on this tour...right after I saw Springsteen (if I remember correctly)

It seems really funny now, but in the early 70's ELO had a certain coolness to them. Certainly up until about 1975.

musically, i try to forget the 80's ever happened. there's a few exceptions, but elo wasn't one of them. i definately liked their earlier years and their stuff as the move before that.