Why aman? Some of their stuff is pure pop genius, Mr. Blue Sky, Do Ya, Evil Woman etc.

I began my teenage years in 1978/79 - I could never get into ELO, Kansas, Styx, etc. - just never could. I thought you were looking for recommendations - my bad. I like some songs of The Move.

ditto

heard too much of it at age 10

I gotta agree w/ wheel & A-man here. Other than their remake of Roll over Beethoven I find it to be a little, shall we say, too 'radio friendly' for my tastes.

Not a big fan of ELO but there was a tribute album put out a few years ago (early 00's I think) called Lynne Me Your Ears where Ken Coomer and some guys from the Mavericks and Cheap trick played a track or two on it. So there you go.

Face the Music

A New World Record

Out of the Blue

When I was 12, ELO was the first band I was into - I heard Mr Blue Sky on the radio, bought the single, then bought Out of the Blue. Then bought A New World Record, Face the Music, Eldorado, and Discovery when it came out a few years later. I even paid money for the Xanadu soundtrack. I then discovered the Ramones and punk rock (I was always late to the party) & my ELO collection gathered dust for years. I used to think of ELO's music as a guilty pleasure - sure most of the lyrics are trite and the faux orchestra/opera elements get a bit heavy-handed at times (hey, it was the 70's) but at it's best (Mr Blue Sky, side one of Out of the Blue, Livin' Thing) it's some of the best pop music ever produced.

And Fire on High is a great song to air-drum to.

I like most of the stuff he did for Tom Petty, but the problem is all his production / drums sound the same, no matter who he was working with. Like the stuff he did on the Beatles single, Free As a Bird, or whatever it was called, that made it sound like "Jeff Lynne Productions"...

I may be in the minority here but I kind of liked the 80's ELO album Balance of Power. It had two great pop tunes in "Calling America" and "So Serious." I can't remember the album but I like the tune "Twilight" and the robot voiced intro.

Yes, the production is somewhat over the top and cheesy but I love that stuff sometimes.

Jeff Lynne's only solo record, "Armchair Theatre" is pretty good. I remember reading at the time that he wanted to move away from tracking 88 piano tracks and just get down to a simpler production. For him, "Armchair Theatre" was pretty bare bones.