Sgt Pepper must die!

The Beatles, Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

Nominated by Billy Childish, prime mover of British garage rock

I was a big Beatles fan - I had a Beatles wig and Beatles guitar when I was four - so I know what I'm talking about, but Sgt Pepper signalled the death of rock'n'roll. Rock'n'roll is meant to be full of vitality and energy, and this album isn't. It sounds like it took six months to shit out. The Beatles were the victims of their success. This is middle-of-the-road rock music for plumbers. Or people who drive round in Citroens - the sort of corporate hippies who ruined rock music. I bought it the day it came out: it was ideal for a seven-year-old. These days, well, it's my contention that it represents the death of the Beatles as a rock'n'roll band and the birth of them as music hall, which is hardly a victory. The main problem with Sgt Pepper is Sir Paul's maudlin obsession with his own self-importance and Dickensian misery. (Paul McCartney is the dark one in the Beatles, not John Lennon, because he writes such depressing, scary music.) It's like a Sunday before school that goes on forever. It's too dark and twisted for anyone with any light in their life. Then again, when he tries to be upbeat, it rings false - like having a clown in the room. The best thing about the album was the cardboard insert with some medals, a badge and a moustache. But the military jackets they wore on the front made them look like a bunch of grammar-school boys dressed by their mummy. When I was in Thee Mighty Caesars we did a rip-off of the sleeve for an album called John Lennon's Corpse Revisited, featuring the Beatles' heads on stakes. This isn't the greatest album ever made; in fact, it's the worst Beatles album up to that point. Live at the Star Club trounces it with ease.

Just because you got molested doesn't give you the right to judge people and ask for attention. So go back to guest starring on the next SVU or Lifetime special. Just stop emptying your bowels in magazines and picking fights like Liam or Noel.

Son of a bitch, this guy is infuriating.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's my reply to Billy Childish : Sgt. Pepper certainly didn't signal the death of rock'n'roll: rock'n'roll never died (the Stooges came after, among many others). And Sgt. Pepper didn't mean to be a rock'n'roll album either. To some extent, you can also say that Rubber Soul and Revolver were taking the Fab Four away from their early rock'n'roll. It was getting more "arty" (in a good way) already. Sgt. Pepper isn't middle-of-the-road rock music either. The Beatles were far from being middle-of-the-road when they recorded this. To the contrary, they were going far. It was 1967, a special time. Psychedelia. You may think it's a big cliche to say that, but it's just true: psychedelia was really something in 1967. It came with drugs around 1965 ("day tripper"). The music didn't mean to rock, but to be trippy. And Sgt. Pepper is a trip. I actually like the autistic and surreal sound of this album. It's not especially rock'n'roll, but it's trippy pop music.

I don't think either that Paul McCartney was especially sad. He's usually the "always happy" guy, to the contrary of Lennon who often feels hurt or angry.

The only thing I don't really like about Sgt. Pepper is the project itself, for the most part. It's far from being terrible musically, but I don't like the way it goes (especially the Paul songs, though I consider "Lovely Rita" to be the best tune on the album). But the Beatles didn't stick to that, it didn't last more than a year. In 1968, it was already different stuff. And I don't see where their rock'n'roll died. Revolution? Yer Blues? Everybody's Got Something to Hide? Get Back? Come Together? Great stuff.

So I think B. Childish exaggerated his points in the wrong way. He probably just meant to say he prefers the early Beatles. Like myself. ;)

the mid to late beatles represents everything artistic in this world to me.

as much as i like the early beatles, the sheer artfulness of their latter days is astounding and preference is of no question to me.

but yeah, i agree with your response concerning Sgt.

those critiques were truthful but mostly dumb.

the mid to late beatles represents everything artistic in this world to me.

as much as i like the early beatles, the sheer artfulness of their latter days is astounding and preference is of no question to me.

but yeah, i agree with your response concerning Sgt.

those critiques were truthful but mostly dumb.

The thing is that I don't like all the artfulness of the latter days. I enjoy stuff like "Happiness is a Warm Gun" immensely, but not stuff like "Honey Pie". Just to mention two examples.

To me, nothing beats She Loves You, A Hard Day's Night, Ticket to Ride or Help! Their vibes are priceless. When talent and inspiration are combined to energy and youth, it's irresistible.

That list was entertaining, but would have been even better if they just let Ryan Adams write all of the blurbs. :thumbup

:worship

agreeing with this seems worthy of my 1,000th post!

i might feel differently about this if i liked the music of the people making the comments. also, in that "review of 'pet sounds', is it just me or is the guy saying something is crappy and then basically talking about many of the merits of the album? that seems stupid to me. as an english teacher, i told my kids when writing persuasively they should take a side and run with it and not be a fence-rider. i guess this dude gets an "F" from me for fence-riding and for trashing my favorite album of all time.

I agree with most of these. I disagree with the Sgt Pepper's one, though I don't think it's the best beatles album. It's like5th best. But it's still better than 99% of the music I've heard in my life.

The Velvet Underground one is spot on. I don't get them at all.

jim derogatis compiled a book like this a while back, though some might argue that non-musicians don't really have the same case that musicians have. personally, i can't play an instrument or write music, but i'd like to think that, due to my constant listening and reading about it, i'm pretty knowledgeable. anyway, here's a link to the book, kill your idols, on amazon.com:

here's the link, ya'll

jim derogatis compiled a book like this a while back, though some might argue that non-musicians don't really have the same case that musicians have. personally, i can't play an instrument or write music, but i'd like to think that, due to my constant listening and reading about it, i'm pretty knowledgeable. anyway, here's a link to the book, kill your idols, on amazon.com:

here's the link, ya'll

Yea, this book has been out for awhile. It is all sort of irreverent fun, in the Lester Bangs tradition (DeRogatis wrote his bio {hey Jen did you ever finish reading it??} which is why he figures this is funny.)

I like this kind of stuff too, but all these albums are truly important in their own way. So this kind of off the wall criticism should be taken with a grain of salt (and maybe some hot sauce.) edit-I had not followed the link, but apparently Amazon readers are too fond of this book anyway. Frankly there is better stuff to read about music anyway, so why bother with this.

LouieB

I always wished that VU album didn't have nico. All tomorrow's parties is so much better w/ Lou Reed signing it.

What the hell..I disagree....Nico's crazy German accent kind of gives this song a kick.

LouieB

What the hell..I disagree....Nico's crazy German accent kind of gives this song a kick.

LouieB

I can't stand it its so muddy and monotone. The demos w/ Lou singing it were a lot better. John Cale would have been the prime choice for vocals on it imo.

I agree with most of these. I disagree with the Sgt Pepper's one, though I don't think it's the best beatles album. It's like5th best. But it's still better than 99% of the music I've heard in my life.

The Velvet Underground one is spot on. I don't get them at all.

I suggest listening to them on the car stereo while driving into New York City. Then you'll get them.

LouieB

Yeah, she sounds like Lily Von Shtup from "Blazing Saddles," but I kinda dig it.

Wayne Coyne really nicely summed up why I don't listen to Nirvana anymore, but anyone who doesn't dig "Marquee Moon" is batshit insane, IMO.

If you go on Tuesday, remember -Tuesday is Soylent Green day.

Tuesday is the worst day for me. Not even Soylent Green improves that day.

No way I would take Reed or Cale's takes over Nico's one (concerning All Tomorrow's Parties). I like Nico's solo stuff a lot too. She's unique.

What's funny on the other hand about the early demos of the Velvet Underground, it's that's awful. You would never guess it could lead to that perfect first album.

On the other hand as well, some demos following that first album are extraordinary, such as the one of "Sister Ray", if I remember well.

I am sure the Velvets were not thrilled with having Nico (although Cale did produce Nico's first album so they couldn't have been on that bad terms) but her participation worked out for the best. And the bottom line will always be that their association with Andy Warhol was very important to them becoming as famous as they have become. Once again, you can't change history, but I suppose you can get involved in a the revisionist talk you like.

(As things turned out John Cale didn't make it all that long in the Velvet Underground either....)

LouieB

I saw an interview on the net where John Cale, who produced four albums of Nico (Chelsea Girl, The Marble Index, Desertshore, The End), said he admired her as an artist. At least when he started producing her. I wish I could remember where I saw that movie sample. Probably on one of Nico's web pages.

Yea, this book has been out for awhile. It is all sort of irreverent fun, in the Lester Bangs tradition (DeRogatis wrote his bio {hey Jen did you ever finish reading it??} which is why he figures this is funny.)

I like this kind of stuff too, but all these albums are truly important in their own way. So this kind of off the wall criticism should be taken with a grain of salt (and maybe some hot sauce.) edit-I had not followed the link, but apparently Amazon readers are too fond of this book anyway. Frankly there is better stuff to read about music anyway, so why bother with this.

LouieB

yup. i have it ready to give back to you whenever. it was ok, but nothing earth-shattering. i think that's what you said about it when you gave it to me, come to think of it.