TM's existence baffles me. The last show I went to, the venue sold the ticket to me online and I picked it up the night of, no extra charge. How hard is distributing tickets that venues need this company to take over and bring the ticket-price from reasonable to ridiculous?

I will use the PNC Arts Center as an example once more. I once thought I could save a bundle going to the box office at the venue. I get there wait in line and walla still a service charge almost as high as online?! How is this? Well the box office rep explained to me it is not a venue box office but a ticketmaster location thus they are not service charge free. I laughed then said ok if that is so I would like to buy a ticket for a show in NYC. A long silence ensued. Nope I can only can sell you tickets for events at the PNC!? You see the problem here?! :fish

This is true, I tried to go to the venue to get FLight of the Conchords tickets the other week, I was around 15th in line before the sale started , sold out by the time I got to the box office around 20 min after noon, apparently they are just running a ticketmaster location and their tickets come from the same pool the online folks use. That really got me steamed, venues should at least hold SOME tickets at the box office.

As far as the building maintenance fee goes, I agree that is should be built into the ticket price. To me that charge is part of the facility's cost of doing business. It might be nit picky to want them to just included it in the ticket price but really who needs to know how much of the ticket price goes to the facility up keep. It's almost like going to a restaurant and being charged an additional fee and having it just be said oh thats for the building. Hello! You are a business you don't need to charge separate fees for every business expense that you incur! Just bundle it all into the final price. If one wanted to take it to its furthest ridiculous end you could say....Ticket price broken down to all the tiny little details of the band's cut fee, hotel for band fee, food for band fee, maintenance of band equipment fee, Jeff's wardrobe fee (that Nudie suit for SNL wasn't cheap I'm sure), GLenn's Wrist band upkeep fee, etc etc etc

I think what it comes down to is that if you don't like it don't buy it. If people stop paying their prices they have to lower them, especially since there is no real logistical reason the prices and amount of extra fees keep increasing. Pressure needs to be put on artists to find other outlets or promoters.

I hate the Metro here in Chicago but i'll definitely be more interested in seeing shows there now since they have cuts ties with the bastard.

For those of you in Minneapolis do places like first ave. ever sell through ticketmaster or it always privately sold?

People are overthinking the "building fee." It's just an arbitrary charge added by the venue to make some extra money. Simple as that. It's sometimes called a "restoration fee" or "maintenance fee" to make it seem like there's some special reason for it. But it's just a cash grab. It has nothing to do with the band paying to book the venue.

For those of you in Minneapolis do places like first ave. ever sell through ticketmaster or it always privately sold?

First ave sells tickets through ticketmaster most if not all of the time, but they also distribute some REAL tickets to some independent record stores throughout the area for purchase.

People are overthinking the "building fee." It's just an arbitrary charge added by the venue to make some extra money. Simple as that. It's sometimes called a "restoration fee" or "maintenance fee" to make it seem like there's some special reason for it. But it's just a cash grab. It has nothing to do with the band paying to book the venue.

Exactly. If it was part of the ticket price, a percentage would go to the band or promoter.

It's sometimes called a "restoration fee" or "maintenance fee" to make it seem like there's some special reason for it.

It is a running joke in Boston. A lot of bands play the Orpheum Theater which is kind of a dump, even though every ticket as long as I can remember has included a restoration fee.