New Dylan compilation on the way

Has anyone read this book yet:

Bob Dylan: Intimate Insights from Friends and Fellow Musicians

by Kathleen Mackay

there was a John Lennon similar to that.

never read that Dylan one but i'd like to.

i think the whole Pictures inspired by Dylan is a nice idea.

i might submit some of my own.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fan Input To Shape Fall Dylan Retrospective

Bob Dylan

June 21, 2007, 1:05 PM ET

Jessica Letkemann, N.Y.

Fan input will help shape the songs that will make the cut for "Dylan," a three-disc Bob Dylan retrospective and companion greatest hits disc due Oct. 1 via Columbia.

The larger set will feature 51 songs that will be chosen in part based on "fan lobbying" and votes cast at Dylan07.com, which launched in February. Visitors to the site will also find the record's artwork, a trailer and details on how to contribute photos to a future online Dylan photo album.

The three-disc "Dylan" will be released in standard packaging as well as in a "deluxe" cloth-bound, photo-laden version that includes ample liner notes. The one-disc "best of" version of "Dylan" will feature 18 songs.

Dylan is on tour in North America through late July and will then head to Australia and New Zealand for an August run.

• 1 month later...

Uncut article with tracklist

Columbia Records have today (August 10) revealed the 51 song tracklisting that will make up Bob Dylan's long-awaited retrospective box set 'DYLAN.'

The three disc set, due out in October, spans 45 years from the great man and ends many months of speculative debate about what was to be chosen for inclusion.

It also features the new Mark Ronson remix of ''Most Likely You Go Your Way (And I'll Go Mine).'

'DYLAN' will come in three versions, one as a single disc 18 track retrospective.

The three CD set will come in a limited edition deluxe box covered in red cloth, the discs themselves designed to look like replica vinyl in their own sleeves.

The box will also include a 40 page booklet with extended liner notes and rare photos, as well 10 limited edition postcard prints.

Also in October comes the first Dylan live at Newport Folk Festival DVD release. 'The Other Side Of The Mirror' captures Dylan playing at the event in 1963 - the DVD boasts 80 minutes of previously unreleased material.

So, anyway back to the tracklisting, with a drum roll... Here is the definitive tracklisting:

Disc One:

Song To Woody

Blowin' In The Wind

Masters Of War

Don't Think Twice, It's All Right

A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall

The Times They Are A-Changin'

All I Really Want To Do

My Back Pages

It Ain't Me Babe

Subterranean Homesick Blues

Mr. Tambourine Man

Maggie's Farm

Like A Rolling Stone

It's All Over Now, Baby Blue

Positively 4th Street

Rainy Day #12 & 35

Just Like A Woman

Most Likely You Go Your Way (And I'll Go Mine)

All Along The Watchtower

Disc Two:

You Ain't Goin' Nowhere

Lay, Lady, Lay

If Not For You

I Shall Be Released

Knockin' On Heaven's Door

On A Night Like This

Forever Young

Tangled Up In Blue

Simple Twist Of Fate

Hurricane

Changing Of The Guards

Gotta Serve Somebody

Precious Angel

The Groom's Still Waiting At The Altar

Jokeman

Dark Eyes

Disc Three:

Blind Willie McTell

Brownsville Girl

Silvio

Ring Them Bells

Dignity

Everything Is Broken

Under The Red Sky

You're Gonna Quit Me

Blood In My Eyes

Not Dark Yet

Things Have Changed

Make You Feel My Love

High Water

Po' Boy

Someday Baby

When The Deal Goes Down

Just caught wind of this: A few Dylan compilations at ridiculously low prices ($0.25).

Yes, that's 25 cents.:

Biograph

http://www.sonymusicstore.com/store/c/Bob-...D/LT_sku=26824/

Bootleg Series Vols. 1-3

http://www.sonymusicstore.com/store/c/Bob-...D/LT_sku=25199/

Greatest Hits Vols. 1-3

http://www.sonymusicstore.com/store/c/Bob-...D/LT_sku=50785/

Just caught wind of this: A few Dylan compilations at ridiculously low prices ($0.25).

Yes, that's 25 cents.:

Biograph

Bootleg Series Vols. 1-3

Greatest Hits Vols. 1-3

I am unbelievably devastated right now. They don't ship outside the United States! That would have been the absolute best Canadian $5 (approximately, I'm guessing, including S&H) ever spent.

Also in October comes the first Dylan live at Newport Folk Festival DVD release. 'The Other Side Of The Mirror' captures Dylan playing at the event in 1963 - the DVD boasts 80 minutes of previously unreleased material.

I read somewhere this is going to the next Bootleg Series release.

Yes, that's 25 cents.:

Biograph

Bootleg Series Vols. 1-3

Greatest Hits Vols. 1-3

Looks like those deals are now gone.

I was looking at Expecting Rain and some guy was talking about how he had bought ten of each.

[Wow - thanks! I've had this on vinyl but it is hard to resist getting it on CD for $3.

It looks as if they've gone back to a more sane sale price. Here's hoping the original sale price will be honored, as I put several orders in.

i dont think Newport will be the next boot series, just a normal release.

as for the 3cd comp above, some albums arent even represented.. one (+ a single) tune from H61, no Visions of johanna... hmmm

...or desolation row, love minus zero/no limit, she belongs to me, it's alright ma, john wesley harding, girl from the north country to name a few.

this set is lame.

It looks as if they've gone back to a more sane sale price. Here's hoping the original sale price will be honored, as I put several orders in.

Just got an email saying that they made a mistake and the orders are not being honored.

If something sounds too good to be true, it probably is ...

Just got an email saying that they made a mistake and the orders are not being honored.

I'm not surprised, I've had that happen to me with something before. I'd suggest going around to their offices and smashing it up, then claim that you'd made a mistake and were supposed to be smashing up something else. What exactly happened to the concept of paying for your mistakes, in the business world?

I'm pretty sure we'll see a vol.2 and 3 Chronicles before too long. (i.e. in the next 10 years)

Dylan has to retire (or semi retire) from performing at some point...he's a compulsive writer and a damn hard worker, so apart from the usual womanizing I can't imagine what else he'd do with all the free time. :D

Why?

Muddy Waters and John Lee Hooker were kicking it until the kicked it.

I wish dylan would semi-retire. Ive seen im about 15 times now and although i still have fun he has lost it since larry left the band. I wish he be more like tom waits at this point occasionaly doing shows that are highly inspired.

There's some law (at least in Massachusetts) that the customer has the right to pay the advertised price no matter what it is, if the company marks it as the wrong price it doesn't matter. I don't know if this applies online or whatever, but I do remember last year my dad was quite excited after he bought a ton of lamb because they had accidentally marked it as 15 cents/lb at the supermarket.

i was under the same impression. MY girlfriend said she though they wouldnt sell them at that price sure enough she was right but ive herd airlines have gotten screwed by these type of makes.

There's some law (at least in Massachusetts) that the customer has the right to pay the advertised price no matter what it is, if the company marks it as the wrong price it doesn't matter. I don't know if this applies online or whatever, but I do remember last year my dad was quite excited after he bought a ton of lamb because they had accidentally marked it as 15 cents/lb at the supermarket.

Their email said this:

Due to a typographical error, several Bob Dylan box sets were listed with

the incorrect price. Unfortunately, we had to cancel all orders that were

priced incorrectly.

We deeply regret any inconvenience this error has caused you. To make up

for our error, we are providing you a coupon good for an additional 10% off

the 200+ box sets that are currently on sale for a total discount of

up to 46% off the suggested list price.

You can view the full list of eligible box sets at

http://www.sonymusicstore.com/store/boutiq...section=boxsets

Please note that the coupon is good for a single purchase

and expires on 10/15/2007.

Your credit card has **NOT** been charged for the cancelled items. However,

if you used a debit card, your bank may have temporarily withdrawn the

funds from your account and held them in reserve. Your bank should deposit

the funds back into your account within 3-7 days.

Once again, please accept our sincerest apology.

SonyMusicStore.com Customer Service

My guess is: when Bob Dylan dies, and probably Robbie Robertson too.
Mine too....

Robbie didn't kill Manuel; Manuel killed Manuel. Sadly mental illness knows no boundries. Robbie may be a tool but the guy wrote some great songs and helped make the Band what they were. They had a great run, what else do we need. Hell even the Beatles didn't stay together forever. Sadly the Band DID continue without Robbie and the result was not always pretty.

LouieB