• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

exactly like everything all the time. boring as hell

boy you're just a barrel of fun aintcha

i can see it not being your (or other peoples) thing, but boring?

after the slower intro (which did you even make it past?) it's hard for me to take someone seriously when they call it "boring"

maybe offer up some actual critique...

hate to say it, but after a couple listens, this album definitely doesn't touch the first for me

it has a few great moments (3 or 4), but plenty of really dull moments too :(

i like it more than the new Rogue Wave, but i'd say it's a bit further of a fall from the last one than RW, as EATT was way better than the fine Vultures.

edit: i should say, this is pretty good still. if ETTAT was an 8.5, this is prolly a solid 7.5 or so. definitely not a Sophmore Slump, but not exactly a triumph either. def not gonna be in my top 10 that's for sure.

wish i could say the same...

it's not that i dislike it though, just doesn't excite me or interest me even remotely as much as ETATT did out of the gate. like the new Rogue Wave i ask: where are the killer hooks? plus the energy is down a good deal.

but it joins a number of records that i've been let down by a bit the last few months so i'm not that surprised.

So, I've listened to the album 5 times today... :lol

And I will admit to being completely biased as I am totally in love with this band, but I am really digging Cease To Begin. The only song I find to be remotely boring is General Specific. Highlights for me are Is There A Ghost (when that guitar kicks in at about the minute mark...), No One's Gonna Love You (probably the track that sounds the MOST like EATT), Detlef Schrempf (the harmonizing), Lamb On The Lam ( :wub ), Window Blue (just a beautiful track - steel guitar and banjo, aaahhh...).

It doesn't seem to be quite as reverb-heavy as EATT, Ben's voice is in top form, and I just love their unique sound, a lot due to Ben's inflection/pronunciation/whatever in his singing.

I don't know if this one will make my top ten, but that's more down to the number of amazing albums this year than the quality of this album. All I know right now is I just want to listen to it over and over again... :music

really? Detlef?? :/

that song reminds me of some bad ironic country song from the mid-80's i guess :/

my favorites are No One's Gonna Love You, Marry Song, and Is There A Ghost.

Lamb has some pretty harmonies, but musically it bores me.

i like Ode to LRC, but those lyrics are pretty bad if you listen to 'em closely

i think the loss of Matt Brooke (who wrote a few songs on EATT and co-wrote a ton) is more important than i'd initially thought (which at first i didn't care, cuz i like Ben more). and the fact that Ben is the only member left (makes you wonder...)

i agree about less reverb (still has plenty tho)

i'll definitely be buying this one (on vinyl), but i don't see myself playing it even remotely on the level of EATT, which was the only thing i played for all of Jan and part of Feb last year :lol

edit: Bridgette, it mystifies me how much you love BoH but dislike MMJ (or is it only live?) :brow