edit: Bridgette, it mystifies me how much you love BoH but dislike MMJ (or is it only live?) :brow

ok, honestly, it's baffled me too, with all the comparisons I've ever seen. I've only witnessed MMJ live once, and was bored to tears. I will admit that I haven't given their studio stuff a whole lot of chances, but I have It Still Moves and the live one, and I just... don't... care. :unsure

And I still like detlef schrempf... and I don't like bad ironic country songs from the 80's... :lol

there's just something about Ben Bridwell that I love, I can't put my finger on it. I was worried about the loss of Mat Brooke as well but the impact to me doesn't seem too consequential. I guess we'll see how I feel after I've sat with it for the 18+ months that I've been listening to EATT.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok, honestly, it's baffled me too, with all the comparisons I've ever seen. I've only witnessed MMJ live once, and was bored to tears. I will admit that I haven't given their studio stuff a whole lot of chances, but I have It Still Moves and the live one, and I just... don't... care. :unsure

And I still like detlef schrempf... and I don't like bad ironic country songs from the 80's... :lol

there's just something about Ben Bridwell that I love, I can't put my finger on it. I was worried about the loss of Mat Brooke as well but the impact to me doesn't seem too consequential. I guess we'll see how I feel after I've sat with it for the 18+ months that I've been listening to EATT.

I can agree with you to a point. The second time I saw MMJ live I was bored silly as well. Since that time I've seen them twice and they were unreal. So, perhaps when they're off they're off...

i've spun this a couple of times and i was going crazy trying to peg who a lot of the vocals sort of reminded me of...then it hit me this morning: Sean Kelly from the Samples. i always liked the Samples, so that's not a bad thing.

i think this is a really beautiful sounding album, but as i'm just now checking these guys out...it seems looking back at the previous release that this is a little less rocking in totality and sparse (seems to jive w/ what i'm reading from some folks here).

i'm with kyle and really like Ode to LRC (lyrics aside), No One's Gonna Love You, Marry Song, and Is There A Ghost...those tracks alone were worth me checking them out and i think i'm going to purchse the last one too.

I think it must be just me, but I put the "uninteresting music" down to the poor production. It's too bright, there's no dirt or darkness to the arrangements which it really needs. I'm not sure if it's the promo, but I think that's the biggest let down. I was wanting big, dirty guitars, the perfect foil for his vocals. But, alas, it's not to be...

From Pitchfork:

Call Band of Horses what you will: totally awesome, meanies, sellouts... Wait, sellouts? When did this happen? Do we have a link for that?

Er, yeah, unfortunately. Seems the Band has licensed a song apiece to a forthcoming Ford commercial and a really tacky Wal-Mart website-- the latter of which suggests some link between cheap warez and existential satisfaction.

Though the marriage of cool tunes and uncool companies is hardly news, any whiff of indie rockers making nice with corporate interests tends to raise a bit of stink among purists. So we asked Band of Horses main man Ben Bridwell if he'd like to comment on the thinking behind the band's decision to lend their music to Wal-Mart and Ford.

He responded with the following statement,

"Dear friends,

"As you may have heard, there's been some recent discussion of a couple of licenses for BoH songs. Just to provide some clarification...

"I did allow Wal-Mart to use a song for a new website they created and have also given permission to Ford Motor Company to license a song from our new album. Because some people see Wal-Mart as a huge, evil corporation, they seem to be especially bummed about this license and see us as posers and/or corporate whores as a result.

"I'd like to just state for the record that we let all kinds of folks use our songs in all kinds of mediums - TV, films, school projects, etc... My personal stance is that once that music is recorded and released to the world then I don't really care where it goes. "The Funeral" has been licensed to death (ha, wretch) at this point and if somebody wants to throw down some duckets for it, then feel free. It also beats the hell out of stealing batteries from Wal-Mart to sell them back for 8 bucks.

"As for Ford: I drive a 1986 F-150 that still runs great. Maybe I'll get the a/c fixed with the cash they kicked down. I'm also stoked that people will hear our song on TV and we might pick up some new listeners in the process. I see no negative.

"That's our reasoning and I'm okay with it. I hope fans of the band are, too.

"We promise to use the money to buy camcorders (at Wal-Mart) for people to film "The Funeral," so I can get mad and crap my diaper. Fuck it.

-bb"

Walmart???

Walmart???

Oh well, whatever - nevermind.

/sigh.

i have always been a fan of bands that i love making a buck, but this wal-mart business is a bit disappointing. but whatever.

"We promise to use the money to buy camcorders (at Wal-Mart) for people to film "The Funeral," so I can get mad and crap my diaper. Fuck it.

THAT, though. that shit is fucking hilarious. go ben.

• 2 weeks later...

so i went to see Blitzen Trapper & Two Gallants the other night here in Minneapolis, and who did i see on the Blitzen Trapper guest list?

"Ben Bridwell +1"

i thought... huh, that's weird, maybe they just are great friends (they're both on Sub Pop) and put him on the guest list all the time.

about 2 minutes later Ben comes in with his girlfriend... i guess she lives in Minneapolis and they met after the last Minneapolis show last year sometime. pretty cool.

i didn't really wanna bother him but i did eventually say hello and that i was looking forward to their upcoming First Ave show. he was super nice btw...

they left after Blitzen Trapper and missed a fantastic TG set though ;)

I am really getting sick of bands getting into bed with these corporations. Where are the priniciples and the defiance of the younger generation? Wal Mart? And the most annoying part is the de facto explanation by every band who does something like this: "everyone else is doing it. Its accepted." , "Radio doesn't play our music". blah, blah, blah...

Band of Horses have surrendered thier Rock and Roll cards.

I think there are larger and possibly more important things to concern ourselves with.

True, of course. But isn't this situation a microcosim of our attitudes as a society, and how the are adversely affecting lives around the globe?

When a band (or corporation or individual) says something to the effect of,"well, I don't agree with their business practices and associations (handguns, censorship, poor hiring practices, associations with countries that commit human-rights violations,etc, etc...we could go on forever about Walmart, China and so forth-but in this case its just symbolic) but I need to get mine too.", then its a problem. We allow too much of this attitude in the world today when it comes to governments, politicians, corporations and individuals. I am tired of greed, on any scale, becoming socially acceptable.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm surprised by the lukewarm reception on this one...i think it's a really nice record. Wish it had an extra track or two as its quite short...perhaps that's why I spin it so much.