Band of Horses Throws Hissy Fit

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/page/news/44...album-sex-clubs

Ben does not come off as very likable in this interview. Maybe I'll just ignore all of his press leading up to the new release so it doesn't affect my taste in his music. I don't disagree with some of the stuff he's ranting on, but he just sounds like an asshole. I guess that could explain the revolving band lineup.

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/page/news/44...album-sex-clubs

Ben does not come off as very likable in this interview. Maybe I'll just ignore all of his press leading up to the new release so it doesn't affect my taste in his music. I don't disagree with some of the stuff he's ranting on, but he just sounds like an asshole. I guess that could explain the revolving band lineup.

I interviewed Ben once not long after the album came out, and he was nice as can be. He even read the article I wrote and talked to me about it at the show. Definitely not an asshole. A smartass, maybe, but not an asshole. And as someone guilty of taping shows for youtube, I can still see his point. It's out of hand these days.

I completely agree with him on the camera thing ... and not just regarding concerts. Seems like people feel like they've not really experienced anything unless they have a video record of it. It's pathetic.

Also, the kids who were bored until the one song they knew was played -- fuck those people. I see them at nearly every show I go to. What really pisses me off is that they usually have better seats than I do.

I completely agree with him on the camera thing ... and not just regarding concerts. Seems like people feel like they've not really experienced anything unless they have a video record of it. It's pathetic.

:yes

it is super annoying.

now i take photos at certain shows, but 1) i never use flash 2) i actually know what i'm doing somewhat and am not just gonna get horrible photos or grainy camera phone shit either. 3) don't do it ALL FUCKING SHOW

Ben does not come off as very likable in this interview.

did we read the same interview? the guy even admitted to "being a fucking asshole". and as for all the cameras and shit, i totally agree with him. i can't tell you how many times i'm at a small venue just to have at least one person with a fancy camera prowl up and down the front row getting a shot from every possible angle.

the merry swanskter has a great post about this exact problem at a recent brakes show in denver:

http://www.merryswankster.com/archives/200..._most_an_1.html

but then again, i admit to being a total ben bridwell fangirl, so maybe i'm just biased. ;)

I thought it was a great interview. In my opinion, he isn't being an asshole about it, he just spoke his mind about something he saw as being wrong.

I too, am biased. I think that they really are a great band and I love them to death.

Ben's a total smartass and goofball, far from an asshole...

Yeah, smartass is probably a better way to put it. I just don't like smartasses, so I'll still plan on ignoring him and happily pick up the new release in October.

:yesit is super annoying.now i take photos at certain shows, but 1) i never use flash 2) i actually know what i'm doing somewhat and am not just gonna get horrible photos or grainy camera phone shit either. 3) don't do it ALL FUCKING SHOW
Those are the exact three cardinal rules.
I just don't like smartasses
And yet you read Pitchfork? And surf the Internet? :lol
Ben's a total smartass and goofball, far from an asshole...

Defo - we've dealt with him recently and he's been brilliant... and Muller met him at ATP and he came across as the nicest man in Indie Rock™ :)

Urgh... that is the modern curse of gigs... seems as if everyone wants to be the first to post it on youtube, myspaz or what ever. Just watch the fecking gig and put your mobile phone, or whatever, down!!

And yet you read Pitchfork? And surf the Internet? :lol

Hey, quit being a smartass. :D It's hard to explain. In my job I'm forced to make snap judgments on people based on very brief interviews/conversations. My snap judgment on Ben was that his personality might grate on me. Some of you that have been around him say he's a pretty good guy. That's more than I have to go on, so I'll take your word for it.

Now that I've sucked it up and admitted the error of my ways, let's slightly change the subject. Does everyone have high expectations for the new album? I'm not sure what to think with the lineup changes, isn't one of the main writers for the last album gone? Anyway, I'm hoping it's not a sophomore disappointment like the Lamontagne album.

His reaction against the reasons for the girl's blog seem lacking. She really is providing him free publicity, and it might be annoying for him to see all these people with cameras that come out when the first notes of The Funeral start, but he needs to remind himself that he should be so lucky that these people want to record his performance. Flipping her off like that was a little childish. However, props to him for owning up to it and apologizing for his behavior.

I don't own a digital camera but frequent concert going friends of mine usually bring theirs and snap some pics and the occasional vid, and I love having those to look back on and remember the concert. One day quite a few years from now, that media might be the only memory of the concert I have. Of course they aren't relentless with it and we usually spend most of the time rocking out/dancing/paying attention to the music because we are all big music fans, one of the things Ben seemed upset that there was a lack of.

Now that I've sucked it up and admitted the error of my ways, let's slightly change the subject. Does everyone have high expectations for the new album? I'm not sure what to think with the lineup changes, isn't one of the main writers for the last album gone? Anyway, I'm hoping it's not a sophomore disappointment like the Lamontagne album.

No sweat! I'm definitely looking forward to the album.

whatever happened to asking the band if you can tape? i read the interview, then the whiney blog. it seems like she's bitter they didn't come to her birthday party. things like this episode and the elevation of this girl to mattering whatsoever make me hate the series of tubes that is the internet(s).

Does everyone have high expectations for the new album? I'm not sure what to think with the lineup changes, isn't one of the main writers for the last album gone? Anyway, I'm hoping it's not a sophomore disappointment like the Lamontagne album.

I have high expectations for the new record for sure but the new songs I heard on April were fantastic. They have had a few line up changes and it just seems to be the nature of the band. I am certain it won't disappoint. Other than Ryan Adam's album, it was my most anticipated of this year.

Pitchfork said the new albums title is Cease to Begin. I still love the Pastor of Muppets title too. That's just too funny.

this comment on Stereogum is so damn funny (and true):

I saw these guys play with Iron & Wine (zzz) a couple of years ago. They put on a good show but BOH are merely Go-Bots to My Morning Jacket's Transformers

i love BOH, but still, too funny :lol

Defo - we've dealt with him recently and he's been brilliant... and Muller met him at ATP and he came across as the nicest man in Indie Rock™ :)

Totally. The guy was a sweetheart. At the end of the day we're all capable of snapping and getting pissed off with people at the wrong time and place, especially if you've got a load of kids with mobile phone cameras in your face. I seem to remember him commenting at the amount of press taking shots at him at ATP during their show - though, not sure if he was pissed about it or not.

Aside from the whole camera incident, the comment about calling the album Jason made me laugh..

Guest Speed Racer
did we read the same interview? the guy even admitted to "being a fucking asshole".

I'm not singling you out, but I thought I would use this as reference.

What grated me about the interview is that, while he admits to "being a fucking asshole" and actually apologized, I get the sense that he'd do it again in a minute if he were in the same situation. That's what I didn't like - if you apologize for doing something that you'd do again, the only thing you're sorry for is getting called on it.

I hate digital camera-toting indie hipsters, and I really get annoyed with the people who only listen/rock out to their favorite song. But I also can't stand people who throw out apologies like confetti and do the same thing two minutes later.

• 11 years later...

I can't load the article quoted in the OP, but the first iPhone was released less than three weeks before this thread was made. Think how much of a non-issue filming concerts was back then compared to today. Obviously some phones could shoot video in 2007 and lots of phones could take pictures, but none of that was anywhere near as common place as it is today. I would have agreed with Ben even back in 2007 but we had no idea how bad it was about to get.

• 3 weeks later...