Alejandro Escovedo

(sorry if this was discsused already, but nothing recent came up on a search)

from Harp Magazine: http://harpmagazine.com/news/detail.cfm?article=11541

Alejandro Escovedo Documentary (Demme Style) Plus Album (Johns Style) On Tap

8/9/07

HARP mainstay Alejandro Escovedo will soon be on the silver screen, courtesy Academy Award-winning director Jonathan Demme (Talking Heads, Neil Young, etc.). Demme is set to lens Escovedo in concert at the famed Las Manitas Mexican restaurant on Austin

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's fantastic. I love Alejandro--Gravity is one of my favorite records ever.

If you can see this guy live, do it. One of the most exciting concerts I've seen in the past couple of years. The Boxing Mirror has been in pretty solid rotation for me since it came out. Looking forward to this one.

--Mike

• 9 months later...
Escovedo Ready To Rock On 'Real Animal'

Alejandro Escovedo

May 19, 2008, 12:35 PM ET

Gary Graff, Detroit

On his upcoming album, "Real Animal," veteran singer/songwriter Alejandro Escovedo got to do something he hasn't done since his days in Rank & File and the True Believers.

"I finally got to make a rock'n'roll record; I don't feel I've done that as a solo artist," Escovedo, who's been putting out albums on his own since 1992 -- save for the 1997 rock side trip in Buick Mackane -- tells Billboard.com. "I've always claimed that I was borne of rock'n'roll and that I was essentially a rocker, but I think that I've never really just made a rock album."

Escovedo blames "the intensity of my life" -- including deaths, divorce and a bout with Hepatitis C -- for the more somber focus of his previous albums. But "Real Animal," co-written with Chuck Prophet and produced by Tony Visconti (David Bowie, T. Rex, Morrissey) is a musical travelogue, with songs that trace Escovedo's life from his birth in Texas to his musical development in California and his previous bands, including the punk rock outfit the Nuns. There's also a song that recalls his time living in New York's Chelsea Hotel at the same time as the Sex Pistols' Sid Vicious and his girlfriend, Nancy Spungen.

"It never really hit me until now, since I'm talking about this, that, wow, this has been a strange and crazy trip," Escovedo notes with a laugh. "There's some serious stuff, but I think it's a very up album. I was in this constant state of turmoil for awhile, and I don't feel those things anymore."

Escovedo will be touring to support "Real Animal," which comes out June 24, including a six-date run opening for the Dave Matthews Band in June. "His audience is very open audience for music," Escovedo says. "They're music lovers. I think we'll be in good company, so I'm looking forward to that."

Escovedo has TV appearances set for NBC's "Late Night with Conan O'Brien" on June 20 and the "Today" show on June 24. He also appears on his brother Pete Escovedo's next album and on a tribute album for Chris Gaffney, both of which are due out later this year.

I'm really looking forward to this one. I loved his last release but it certainly was not a "rock" record. I'm going to have to try and catch him as he comes through the midwest as well. If you haven't seen Alejandro, you should.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, definitely some props to Dave Mathews for choosing Alejandro. It's great exposure for him.

I can't say that they'll be kind to him but it's definitely a nice payday and he will certainly win new fans over. I remember when he did a benefit show in Chicago many years ago and there were a lot of big names there - Tweedy, Louris, Billy Corrigan, Marianne Faithful, etc. Alejandro absolutely stole the show with his cover of "I Wanna Be Your Dog". The entire place was on fire for the first time the entire evening. The guy is a consummate professional so he'll find a way to win some of the DMB fans over.

I'm really looking forward to this one. I loved his last release but it certainly was not a "rock" record. I'm going to have to try and catch him as he comes through the midwest as well. If you haven't seen Alejandro, you should.
Been awhile since I have seen him. Chicago is a big town for him and I am sure he will show up here soon. I hope to find a copy of this new album soon. The last one was good in parts (very good in others), but some of the rest of it left me a bit chilly. None the less, a decent album from Alejandro is better than other folks best efforts....

LouieB

None the less, a decent album from Alejandro is better than other folks best efforts....

I second that.

This new one of his is one of my more anticipated releases of the next few months.

I second that.

This new one of his is one of my more anticipated releases of the next few months.

Actually I was totally unaware that he had another one going until recently (I heard a song on the radio from it.) You gotta love Alejandro, he just keeps going and going....(the guy is my age...)

LouieB

• 3 weeks later...
Actually I was totally unaware that he had another one going until recently (I heard a song on the radio from it.) You gotta love Alejandro, he just keeps going and going....(the guy is my age...)

LouieB

the album got a good review in Paste months before its actual release date. I'm excited to hear it.

Free 4th of July with Alejandro with Old 97s at Taste!! How can we lose?!

Album is great. If you're a fan, you'll love it. I also think this release will capture a wider audience, not in the selling out way, but just because he's finally got lots of good press and a tour behind him.
I haven't heard this album yet, but Alejandro has never not had good press for his material and has always toured relentlessly unless he was too sick to do so and even then he got a ton of positive PR for himself. Somehow I doubt this album will bring him wide spread fame; he is famous for what he does and will continue to be so I think.

LouieB

I haven't heard this album yet, but Alejandro has never not had good press for his material and has always toured relentlessly unless he was too sick to do so and even then he got a ton of positive PR for himself. Somehow I doubt this album will bring him wide spread fame; he is famous for what he does and will continue to be so I think.

LouieB

Part bump, part response. The press for this album has been much stronger from what I can see. I've seen some full page length adds, etc with many featured reviews.

Picked this up last night and have given it a couple of spins. Possibly his best album. Based on the lack of response to Alejandro threads on VC over the years, not too many folks interested. For those that have even a subtle interest, I'd recommend picking this one up.

Part bump, part response. The press for this album has been much stronger from what I can see. I've seen some full page length adds, etc with many featured reviews.

Picked this up last night and have given it a couple of spins. Possibly his best album. Based on the lack of response to Alejandro threads on VC over the years, not too many folks interested. For those that have even a subtle interest, I'd recommend picking this one up.

Spinning it now. I'm pretty new to Alejandro but Real Animal is darn good stuff.

He was on one of the late night shows recently....Conan I think. Tore it up.

Spinning it now. I'm pretty new to Alejandro but Real Animal is darn good stuff.

He was on one of the late night shows recently....Conan I think. Tore it up.

damn, sorry I missed his TV appearance. That said, I think that helps make my point on the press. I don't recall him getting on too many late night shows in the past.

I plan to get it some day. Man Under the Influence will certainly be hard to top as his best work, but my mind remains open. Alejandro still has plenty fo life left in him. Nice guy (I have talked to him a time or two), just sorry he had a falling out with Bloodshot. Not sure what that was about, but all his Bloodshot albums are very high quality.

LouieB

Holy crap, this album is just HUGE. I'll admit that I positively disliked The Boxing Mirror - just felt like Al on autopilot to me, and none of the songs were anywhere near as good as what was on A Man Under the Influence - but I think this could well be the best solo record of his career. He's just unbridled here, kinda putting me in mind of the Boss circa The River, and the songwriting is hitting it out of the park on every level. Quite possibly the best album of 2008. I can't wait to listen to this 100 times. Y'know? It's having that effect on me.

Holy crap, this album is just HUGE.

That's a good way to put it.

I've had this for two or three days now and keep coming back to it, letting it spin two or three times consecutively . It's a bit all over the place which makes it a really great listen.