Alejandro Escovedo

It's definitely a brilliant rock record. There's a lot of diversity re: the instrumentation (strings, backup singers and all the rest), but something about the production reminds you that you're listening to a suite a songs, not just a bunch of singles.

They really don't make 'em like this anymore. I can't get over how good this is, and I don't think that's just lowered expectations talking.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's definitely a brilliant rock record. There's a lot of diversity re: the instrumentation (strings, backup singers and all the rest), but something about the production reminds you that you're listening to a suite a songs, not just a bunch of singles.

They really don't make 'em like this anymore. I can't get over how good this is, and I don't think that's just lowered expectations talking.

Agreed that the album is great. Production sounds good as well. The idea is this a collection of songs that encaptures his 30 year music history.

Side note: anybody notice there is an unusual amount of time between some of the songs?

Great article here:

http://www.austin360.com/music/content/mus...626xlcover.html

Also noticed that KGSR is having a live broadcast Friday night (6/27) from the Continental Club. I hope someone rips the stream.

http://www.kgsr.com/

Wow, that is a great article. Thanks for posting. Looks like I was right, he hasn't been on network television in over a decade. Talk about someone finally getting their just due. I hope this album and tour do well for him.

Sat Jun 28 '08 (3 pm) Austin, TX Keep Austin Weird 5k & Festival

Sun Jun 29 '08 (8pm) Nashville, TN 3rd and Lindsley TBD

Wed Jul 2 '08 (9pm) St. Louis, MO Blueberry Hill TBA

Thu Jul 3 '08 (7:30pm) Milwaukee, WI Summerfest

Fri Jul 4 '08 (TBD) Chicago, IL Taste of Randolph

Sun Jul 6 '08 (TBD) Montreal, QUE Club Soda

Mon Jul 7 '08 (9pm) Toronto, ONT Mod Club Theatre TBD

Wed Jul 9 '08 (9pm) New York, NY Highline Ballroom

Thu Jul 10 '08 (8pm) Boston, MA Paradise Rock Club Tulsa

Fri Jul 11 '08 (TBD) Camden, NJ WXPN XPoNential Music Festival

Sat Jul 12 '08 (TBD) Washington, DC 9:30 Club Vandaveer

Tue Jul 15 '08 (8pm) Asheville, NC The Orange Peel Carrie Rodriguez

Wed Jul 16 '08 (8:30 PM) Atlanta, GA Variety Playhouse Hayes Carll, Carrie Rodriguez

Fri Jul 18 '08 (10pm) New Orleans, LA Tipitina's Carrie Rodriguez

Sat Jul 19 '08 (9pm) New Braunfels, TX Gruene Hall Carrie Rodriguez

Thu Jul 31 '08 (TBD) West Hollywood, CA Troubadour TBD

Sat Aug 2 '08 (TBD) Madison, WI Madison Roots Festival

Thu Aug 7 '08 - Late Show with David Letterman, NYC

Sat Aug 23 '08 (8pm) Fort Worth, TX McDavid Studio @ Bass Performance Hall

Well I fucked up....I walked into Laurie's this afternoon with every intention to buy Alejandro, but the clerks there laid a big old pile of used stuff on my to look through and damn if I didn't find $40 worth of other stuff to buy....

Sadly I will be in Seattle when Alejandro plays Taste of Randolph on the 4th.

LouieB

Lou! that is ridiculous! I just got it on vinyl and had my first listen a few minutes before you came in and meant to bring it up! I loved it on first listen, probably the first time he has really wrung together all aspects of his career that I have always loved: Nuns, Rank and File, chamber-y/VU sounding stuff... Amazing! We'll be out of it by tomorrow for sure, I'll hold a copy for you Tuesday when we restock ;)

Lou! that is ridiculous! I just got it on vinyl and had my first listen a few minutes before you came in and meant to bring it up! I loved it on first listen, probably the first time he has really wrung together all aspects of his career that I have always loved: Nuns, Rank and File, chamber-y/VU sounding stuff... Amazing! We'll be out of it by tomorrow for sure, I'll hold a copy for you Tuesday when we restock ;)

Okay....thanks....I would like a copy.

LouieB

• 1 month later...

When you get right down to it, this is the perfect indie record.

Alejandro Escovedo backed by Chuck Prophet.

• 2 months later...

Has anyone found this EP to purchase?

http://www.alejandroescovedo.com/?p=184

Known for his enigmatic and engaging live shows, Texas rocker Alejandro Escovedo will release a live EP LIVE ANIMAL on November 11, 2008, featuring a selection of stellar tracks from his latest release REAL ANIMAL (EMI/Manhattan/Back Porch). A masterful storyteller, Escovedo blends introspective ballads with shattering blasts of punk rock and string quintets. On LIVE ANIMAL, Escovedo breathes life into his autobiographical tales and showcases the raw emotion and compelling power behind his music.

Featured tracks include:

• 1 year later...

this sounds very cool!

Actually it sounds fairly uncool from the descriptions I have heard. Demme has made some great music movies, but the word is that he will have other folks play Alejandro's songs. Maybe there are issues with the production, because it has been talked about for a few years. Maybe it just didn't coalese, who knows. I hope it is cool though. he deserves something good.

LouieB

• 6 years later...

Bumping this because I'm hoping to see Alejandro for the first time this week in NOLA. Any suggestions for his best album(s) to listen to and/or pick up?

You can't go wrong with any of his albums.  They are all consistently great.  My favorite is Man Under the Influence.

Your are in for a treat.  I've seen him several times and the man is a consummate professional.  His set list always includes great covers.

As for albums, I agree with the recommendation of "A Man Under the Influence."  "Bourbonitis Blues" and "Real Animal" are also excellent.  Have a great time.