Sales of drugs like Oxycontin jumped 90 percent from 1997-2005

No.

I'm guessing the "aggressive marketing" would be aimed at physicians and executed by Pharmaceutical Sales Reps. I can't imagine why anyone would love that job but on multiple occasions I have overheard young people expressing their desire to do that "when they grow up."

It's insane how pill-dependent we are becoming. Sometimes it seems like everyone is on something for some problem. My Dad, who is eighty-one, offers to let me select from his buffet of pills (includes the -codones) every time I mention the slightest discomfort (toothache, headache, etc.) I decline...I don't even take Tylenol until I feel like I'm just torturing myself too unreasonably. I just go for the acupressure or rest until the pain passes.

BC asprin, anyone???-Robert.

I'm guessing the "aggressive marketing" would be aimed at physicians and executed by Pharmaceutical Sales Reps. I can't imagine why anyone would love that job but on multiple occasions I have overheard young people expressing their desire to do that "when they grow up."It's insane how pill-dependent we are becoming. Sometimes it seems like everyone is on something for some problem. My Dad, who is eighty-one, offers to let me select from his buffet of pills (includes the -codones) every time I mention the slightest discomfort (toothache, headache, etc.) I decline...I don't even take Tylenol until I feel like I'm just torturing myself too unreasonably. I just go for the acupressure or rest until the pain passes.
the less pills the better..... :thumbup -robert.
I'm guessing the "aggressive marketing" would be aimed at physicians and executed by Pharmaceutical Sales Reps. I can't imagine why anyone would love that job but on multiple occasions I have overheard young people expressing their desire to do that "when they grow up."

It's a good paying job.

It's insane how pill-dependent we are becoming. Sometimes it seems like everyone is on something for some problem. My Dad, who is eighty-one, offers to let me select from his buffet of pills (includes the -codones) every time I mention the slightest discomfort (toothache, headache, etc.) I decline...I don't even take Tylenol until I feel like I'm just torturing myself too unreasonably. I just go for the acupressure or rest until the pain passes.

It is scary. A pill for whatever you don't like. I think it's funny how some people I know will not touch illegal drugs like pot, but because the FDA says this pill is safe then they'll swallow 'em down. I know people who have real problems with Aderall, Oxycotin and Vicodin.

It is scary. A pill for whatever you don't like. I think it's funny how some people I know will not touch illegal drugs like pot, but because the FDA says this pill is safe then they'll swallow 'em down. I know people who have real problems with Aderall, Oxycotin and Vicodin.

I totally agree with this post. Right on the money. I've buried friends in the last few years from overdoing stuff like this.

As someone who has taken a bit of Vicodin, I can assure you that when it is needed, nothing is better. But at a point you have to quit using it.

My doctor the other day said that one in five people take anti-depressents. We are a drugged up society and that isn't going to change any time soon.

LouieB

My doctor the other day said that one in five people take anti-depressents.

Yeah, that sounds about right. I've got no beef with anyone who finds that prescriptions are very beneficial to them. I'd have beef with an awful lot of people if I did!

The whole pharmaceutical industry is such a mess though. Americans are so sucked into the idea that we need pills to get by. I'm sure there are some outrageous numbers I could be quoting here regarding how many kids there are out there who were quickly prescribed meds for ADHD or the like which they were diagnosed with by someone who may or may not know what the hell they are talking about.

Not to mention all the men and especially all the women who continue to cling to some ridiculous idea that they are going to eventually find a pill that will magically melt away their thighs and bellys...if said pill doesn't destroy their heart first.

I've recently seen a television commercial advertising pills for restless leg syndrome. The disembodied voice with a soothing tone said something like, "(insert pill name here) is not for everyone. Check with your doctor if you experience abnormally strong urges to engage in gambling and sexual activity."

What is that about?! :-O

Edit: Adding that: All of this might be slightly less disturbing if it wasn't for all the fat profits that the big guys on the other end are receiving while the general public walks around like some army of chemical receptecals.

i took wellbutrin when I tried to quit smoking. it's an antidepressant, but supposedly helps curb the urges for nicotine too. is stopped after 3 days of it because it felt like my synapses were buzzing and it made me feel so on edge it was insane.

how that shit is supposed to help people feel better is beyond me.

i took wellbutrin when I tried to quit smoking. it's an antidepressant, but supposedly helps curb the urges for nicotine too. is stopped after 3 days of it because it felt like my synapses were buzzing and it made me feel so on edge it was insane.

Out of curiosity...did you manage to quit smoking by some other method?

"Check with your doctor if you experience abnormally strong urges to engage in gambling and sexual activity."

Damn, the ONE thing I don't need a pill for!

Seriously, I live in a very rural part of Eastern Kentucky; you have no idea the rampant prescription pill problem this part of the country is under! (I know a lot of you will make fun) I can go to Wal-Mart and I swear the whole society here is in a daze, it as scary as you can Imagine!!

Between the Crystal Meth Lab busts and the Dr.'s going to prison :thumbup Bring back the days when everyone here made a living growing Weed!

I took it for depression.......I had some wierd pyshco-effcts as well......took myself off after a month.

I would rather be fullly aware,cognigzant(sic) and depressed than go back to that.......

BTW......I'm doin' pretty well....all things considered.

-Robert.

I took it for depression.......I had some wierd pyshco-effcts as well......took myself off after a month.

I had an odd experience with Paxil, though I guess it wasn't really a big deal. I told the doc the pills were causing me to feel even worse and so we tried something else that ended up working great.

And that's the thing--the drugs, themselves, aren't necessarily the problem. In fact, they can do a lot of good. But they're a "quick fix" for problems that generally run much deeper. Particularly the anti-depressant bunch--they don't cure anything, they just help make you feel a little closer to normal for a while. Which can be great if you use that time to sort shit out and learn to understand your own mind, but a lot of people seem to think is a cure--to stay on them indefinitely. I guess its a fuckload easier that way, but probably not the best long-term solution. Lots of people seem to think so, though.

My brother in law works in biotech. Ideally, he prefers to work in the labs and do research, but lately he finds most of the jobs keep slanting more and more towards sales. Its like the black hole of the industry--everything gravitates towards it.

I was at a Walgreen's over the weekend and saw a woman having to give her personal information and signature to purchase over the counter Sudafed. I guess "kids make meth with it"

What a police state...

I've been taking Oxycontin for the last five years due to a back injury - I'm sure I would be dope sick if I just stopped - but I take it as directed and it has both saved my career and quality of life.