Robyn Hitchcock...Sex, Food, Drugs & Insects

I caught the tail end of a documentary featured on Sundance today about Robyn Hitchcock. It appears that it was filmed during the recent Venus 3 tour and the documentary features our friends Scott, Peter, and Bill prominently. I had never listened to the guy before but the music featured sounded interesting enough. It comes on again Saturday morning at 3am (eastern time) if anyone wants to tivo it. It runs about an hour.

in other Hitchcock news:

Limited-edition Robyn Hitchcock CD and LP box sets now available for pre-order

Stream the full box set

Robyn Hitchcock has finally begun the daunting task of compiling his groundbreaking post-Soft Boys solo catalog with the I Wanna Go Backwards box set. The first of two upcoming collections, I Wanna Go Backwards includes three of his most classic albums. Hitchcock's first solo album Black Snake Diamond Role is a private rock album featuring ex-Soft Boys, a Vibrator, a Fur and other friends. I Often Dream of Trains finds Robyn at his all-acoustic zenith with a seminal collection of kaleidoscopic, stripped down folk. Eye continues in the tradition of Trains draping Hitchcock's signature layered lyrical imagery over his most musically direct work to date. All the albums feature bonus tracks and enhanced liner notes: reminiscences (BSDR & WTMB), an excerpt from a novel in progress (Trains), and original poetry (Eye), plus previously unseen photos and Hitchcock cartoons. Additional bonus material includes While Thatcher Mauled Britain Part 1 & 2, a two-disc comprehensive look at a labyrinth of Robyn's largely unreleased solo b-sides, outtakes and home recordings.

The 5-CD set contains the three expanded reissues, plus While Thatcher Mauled Britain: a 2-CD collection of 57 bonus tracks (including 20 previously unreleased songs), available exclusively with this set.

The 8-LP set contains replicas of the three original LPs, plus the 5-LP collection of bonus material, While Thatcher Mauled Britain, all on 180 gram vinyl! In addition, you'll receive free MP3 downloads of every song, plus an autographed, limited edition poster!

Me too. No Sundance here.

Briggs was completely infectious to me, and the live version of the fantastic Minus 5 song Cigarettes, Coffee and Booze* :wub

Being a new convert, I have been getting into Robyn Hitchcock from his recent material and then going backwards, so the new set of out-of-print older work being released in October on YepRoc sounds interesting.

*If that's on the DVD, I'm going to hunt it down somehow. I absolutely loved the show I saw on that tour, and that song was incredibly fun.

Me too. No Sundance here.

Briggs was completely infectious to me, and the live version of the fantastic Minus 5 song Cigarettes, Coffee and Booze* :wub

Being a new convert, I have been getting into Robyn Hitchcock from his recent material and then going backwards, so the new set of out-of-print older work being released in October on YepRoc sounds interesting.

*If that's on the DVD, I'm going to hunt it down somehow. I absolutely loved the show I saw on that tour, and that song was incredibly fun.

"Cigarettes, Coffee and Booze", dang, the Minus 5 played this at Spaceland Saturday night. What a fun band . . . glad I went . . .

in other Hitchcock news:

Stream the full box set

I so badly need to replace LPs and reissue CDs that I already have.

I am totally unclear on why the original reissues of this material went back out of print. It seems like only yesterday these were in print and readily available. (even some of these LPs can still be had used.)

I guess Robyn needs to built up his retirement fund.

LouieB

in other Hitchcock news:

Stream the full box set

Holy crap this is good stuff. I had no idea. I only used to have Globe of Frogs, and he kind of annoyed me the other few times I'd heard him (Storefront Hitchcock mostly). But this is amazing!! Wow.

I have been listening to this all morning. Not only am I struck by Dylan's influence on Robyn (obviously), but man alot of this stounds like the Decemberists, particularly Colin Meloy's singing style.

LouieB

It was shown on BBC Four in the UK a couple of months back - great film. I love the bit with him and Nick Lowe in the kitchen, Lowe commenting on the completely different writing styles they've got!

Wasn't it great? Totally turned me back on to his stuff. Great to see Peter Buck happy about just playing music again even if he did have to travel on a cramped mini bus!

• 6 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Just announced, if you are around Seattle or Australia in March (with a new RH and Venus 3 album due in late February):

Robyn Hitchcock & the Venus 3 Micro Australian Tour, plus Seattle Preview

21 The Triple Door Seattle

25 The Annandale Hotel - Sydney NSW Sydney

27 The Corner Hotel Richmond, Melbourne

28 The Apollo Bay Music Festival Apollo Bay, VIC

• 1 month later...

Here are the top 5 to choose from. All were released from 84-86, except Ole Tarantula, so you may want to include that to have something from his recent period.

Element of Light - With the Egyptians. My favorite. Make sure you get this one.

I Often Dream of Trains - Solo, mostly acoustic

Fegmania! - First album with the Egyptians

Ole! Tarantula - With the Venus 3 (Peter Buck, Scott McCaughey and Bill Rieflin)

Gotta Let This Hen Out - Live album with the Egyptians

Should also add that those are not just the best 5 from what Yep Roc is selling, but if somebody wanted to know the what they should buy first from his entire catalog (released under his name) I'd probably suggest the same 5.

Should also add that those are not just the best 5 from what Yep Roc is selling, but if somebody wanted to know the what they should buy first from his entire catalog (released under his name) I'd probably suggest the same 5.

Excellent, streaming the box set and it sounds great.

I was listeing to Robyn H before Wilco . . . before Minus 5 . . . before REM . . . since Globe of Frogs in 88. He's tremendous. Sundance will also be showing a film of his recent I Oftern Dream of Trains tour -- which should be fantastic.

RH and the V5 also have a date at Irving Plaza in NYC on April 11h. These are excellent shows -- these guys may be thinning on top and widening in the middle, but they sure do kick ass. Good ole RH still sounds amazing, and there's a real joy onstage-- they really do enjoy performing together and it makes the show that much better.

Seeing Peter Buck in such a small setting is beyond words (My love for Mr. B is only surpassed by my love for JT.) If your lucky, he may also be at the merchandise table after the show selling CDs. Hearing Mr. Buck say, "That'll be $10" is worth the price of admission.

Another CD to add to the list is Spooked, that's the recored with Gillen Welch and Dave Something (names escapes me at the moment). Includes one of his best songs -- Full Moon in My Soul. First time I heard it, I thought it was a John Lennon cover -- which I think RH would take as high praise.

Yes! Although the UK February gigs are with a different band (

it looks like the Venus 3 (McCaughey/Buck/Rieflin) will be along for the rest of the tour!

http://www.robynhitchcock.com/auditori.htm

February 2009

UK tour with full band on the occasion of the release of GOODNIGHT OSLO

Catherine Feeny will be opening these shows.

7 ABC2 Glasgow

8 Academy 2 Newcastle

10 Brudenell Social Club Leeds

11 Glee Club Birmingham

12 Union Chapel London

13 The Met Bury

14 South Hill Park Arts Centre Bracknell

16 Komedia Brighton

17 The Junction Cambridge

18 The Fleece Bristol

19 The Globe Cardiff

March 2009