the soccer thread

Whoever Jay is he is a smart man! :thumbup

:cheers

Setanta broadband is worth the $15/mo. The only bummer is (as compared to getting it though satellite or cable) no Scottish Premier League and Champions League matches are PPV unless you pay for a year up front. I am impressed by the quality of the video. if you are on a Mac you'll want to download Flip 4 Mac. It works without it but better with it.

Setanta Broadband

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dusting off this ancient thread for some exciting news from Germany: https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11891/13113740/xabi-alonso-leads-bayer-leverkusen-to-first-bundesliga-title  

Posted Images

AC Milan won today 2-0 with Pato grabbing both goals. moving up into 6 with two games in hand. 4 place is not out of reach.

I DVR'd that and was telling my son about Pato and saying to watch for him but we only got to see the first half. Then my two year old decided it was time to watch cartoons. So I'll have watch the rest later tonight.

I think he will and as you say 4th is not out of reach. Though I hope Milan have a temporary drop in form when the Champions League starts back up next month.

I agree that Birmingham is the stronger of the three on 20 points and the most likely to stay up, but I think Wigan will also stay up.

What about the 4th Champions League spot? I think Liverpool will take it. They haven't played well this year and are still hanging around that position (and if they win their game in hand they would jump Everton by a point) and I think it's more likely they will improve than Everton, Aston Villa or the others hanging around.

does anyone remember Rodney Marsh !

Tampa Bay Rowdies? (When he was in the U.S., obviously)

More importantly, does anyone remember Arno Steffenhagen? :thumbup

(I was a Chicago Sting fan.)

Milan drop form in the Champions league? I hope not!

I cannot see Liverpool staying in 4 if their home form does not improve. With the current off the pitch problems or alleged problems that will not happen. It would be great to be Aston Villa or Pompy in the Champions League. Getting rid of the 'Big Four' hold on the top 4 spots would be great especially if the first to go was Liverpool.

is it ok that i'm a ManU fan ?

not really but as long as you are not a Liverpool, or Juventus fan I will tolerate you.

I am all for a change in the big four, just as long as Arsenal are still one of the four. I would also like to see Liverpool drop out, just don't know that they will this year. I do see Inter knocking them out pretty easily in the CL, though.

When I lived in London I adopted Queens Park Rangers as my side for no particular reason (probably because I knew how to get to their grounds on the Tube). They were pretty terrible, as I recall. This was in the pre-Premier League days.

Since then I've not really had a favorite European side. I just enjoy watching the matches when I get a chance.

I also saw matches at Wimbledon and Arsenal. I kept meaning to get to Chelsea, Tottenham, and West Ham but never did.

I grew up watching Soccer Made In Germany on PBS with Toby Charles as the announcer, so I have fond memories of the likes of FC Schalke 04 and Borussia M

Arsenal are my favorite of the four as well. Inter are one of the best teams in the world right now, as much as it pains me to say it, and should deal with Liverpool handily. AC Milan will crush Arsenal though.

QPR are now the richest football club in the world now. They are quite terrible right now but with more investment their supporters are saying they will be in the Premier League not next year but in 2009-2010.

Schalke are still one of the premier clubs in Germany, but M

I haven't watched the match yet, but I see Pato scored another goal this weekend.

Arsenal gave Man City their first league home loss of the season. Eduardo scored a great goal but Flamini's during midweek was even better. So with Man Utd and Chelsea dropping points it was a good weekend.

I figured that Man U would drop points at some point, but I thought they could handle Spurs. Maybe that Carling Cup win over Arsenal gave them their confidence back. Eduardo is starting to produce in the absence of Van Persie. I would not count efficient Chelsea out of the race yet. They seem to good at beating everyone they are supposed to.

With Champions League still 2 weeks off hopefully both Ac and Arsenal can get everyone fit for an exiting tie. I will be in England for the second leg, but they are playing in Milan. Still trying to get tickets for the Man U - Lyon game, but do not want to spend an arm and a leg.

African Cup of Nations semi-finals have been decided. Stop reading if you do not want to know.

Ghana v Cameroon and C

I figured that Man U would drop points at some point, but I thought they could handle Spurs. Maybe that Carling Cup win over Arsenal gave them their confidence back. Eduardo is starting to produce in the absence of Van Persie. I would not count efficient Chelsea out of the race yet. They seem to good at beating everyone they are supposed to.

The most consistently infuriating thing about Man Utd is that, no matter how badly they're playing, they still know how to grind out a result, be it a draw or victory, against any team. I think this will see them retain their Premiership title.

I work with a lot of Arsenal fans and they are very surprised by Eduardo, at the start of the season they didn't think he looked like much of a player, and still don't think he's so handy in the creative build-up play, which is the hallmark of the current Arsenal side. However, in the penalty area, they've told me he's reminiscent of Robbie Fowler before the injuries, in that he only needs a glimmer of chance and it's usually in the back of the net.

Chelsea have their destiny in their own hands. Since Grant has come in they've steadied a pretty rocky ship, admittedly they've dropped points by drawing more games than they should, but, crucially, Man U, Arsenal and Liverpool still have to go to Stamford Bridge. I'm not saying they'll win all those games, but they could, and if they do and maintain form against the other teams they'll be in the thick of things.

Liverpool were out of the race immediately after Christmas. Their home form is shocking, drawing far too many games against teams they should comfortably beat. Also the upheaval with the new American owners and their cack-handed approach to public relations hasn't helped. Washing their dirty linen in public, and a stubborn manager who cannot accept when he's wrong has undermined them and plotted theirs, and possibly Rafa Benitez's, downfall.

But, hey, I'm a Bolton fan, and can't really comment on other people's problems. :)

With Champions League still 2 weeks off hopefully both Ac and Arsenal can get everyone fit for an exiting tie.

I agree and hope Toure is fit because Arsenal's chances go down with Senderos playing.

I heard Man Utd have an interest in Karim Benzema, so it will be interesting to see how he does against them.

With how well Chelsea have been playing given all their injuries they will be really scary when people start coming back, especially with Drogba playing with Anelka. No doubt the top 3 will be close in the end.

I think a Ghana v Ivory Coast final would be great...not that I can watch it in the States, though. :ohwell

I think the biggest things for all the teams; Arsenal, Man U, Chelsea, and AC, is to get everyone healthy. That said, when everyone is healthy I think it will change from a two horse race into a three. I am not sure how well Anelka and Drogba can do together. they both play better as a lone striker. It will will be interesting to see what formation Grant goes with.

Senderos has not really fulfilled his potential, which is strange because Wanger is so good at spotting talent.

Liverpool have just been terrible at home, and maybe they will follow Leeds down. :pray

Bolton need to find a new striker. Did they get on in January?

Ivor Coast - Ghana would be great, Drogba vs Essien.

I am not sure how well Anelka and Drogba can do together. they both play better as a lone striker. It will will be interesting to see what formation Grant goes with.

I'm not sure how they'll pan out either, but let's face it, it's sure to be an improvement on no-quicker-than-a-bag-of-cement Andrei Shevchenko. I originally thought they were signing Anelka to fill the void left by Drogba whilst he was on African Nations Cup duty, and because Drogba had been making noises about moving on after Mourinho left. When you're as wealthy as Chelsea, you can buy players on a whim like that, and to hell with the consequences.

Liverpool have just been terrible at home, and maybe they will follow Leeds down. :pray

I can't see that happening, but the financing of the takeover by Hicks and Gillett is very risky indeed. They've basically mortgaged the club, and immediately put it in debt to the tune of about

Oooo... nice buy there Mark...

Predictions for tonights game? Right or wrong for Capello to leave out Becks?

Either 2-0 or 3-0 to England.

100% correct to leave him out. He's not match fit for a start, so that makes sense. We should be looking to the future and to someone who can fit easily within a system, and not someone who is in effect an ageing dead ball expert, and who has been something of a liability and concession to the team over the past few years.

He'll probably get his 100 caps at some point, probably more to do with the clamour from the press than actual form.

I hope Bentley does well enough to secure a long term place.

I hope Bentley does well enough to secure a long term place.

Likewise - I'm a big fan of Bently. He's been playing very well for Blackburn and has sorted his attitude out, thought it was a bit offish to begin with.

You been watching any of the African Cup of Nations? Some of the matches have been very good. Been impressed with the Ivory Coast.

Tonights game will easily be won by England. Not that the Swiss are bad, just that the whole England squad have something to prove to their new manager, and old fans.

I think Beckham should have been given his 100th cap and the captaincy for this game and then sent on his merry way. If Capello had selected him the whole brouhaha would have been done with, but as it is now every time there is a squad announcement the focus will be on Beckham, rather than the team.

ACN finals predictions? I have not seen a single game so I really cannot comment.