the soccer thread

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dusting off this ancient thread for some exciting news from Germany: https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11891/13113740/xabi-alonso-leads-bayer-leverkusen-to-first-bundesliga-title  

Posted Images

Where's edwar591 this morning?!? What a great match!

I was in Manchester all week. I went to the Lyon-Man U game. As we were leaving they announced the scores. I was pissed. I do not remember the rest of the night after drowning away my pain.

Now I have to go for Roma to win it all. And hope Fiorentina slip up some more.

Good to see the Gooner's midfield stand up to the Rossineri. Sometimes I think teams are beaten before they even step on the pitch by thinking about the fact that they are playing Milan or Barca or Madrid. Giving the opponents too much respect. Get into them and whack 'em. Pato and Kaka didn't want to know after a while.

Champions League quarter-final draw:

1 Arsenal v Liverpool

2 AS Roma v Man Utd

3 Schalke 04 v FC Barcelona

4 Fenerbahce v Chelsea

Winners of 1 play winners of 4 in the semis.

Arsenal and Liverpool will play 3 times in a week. Wow. I am exhausted just thinking about that.

maybe it is just me being sore over a loss, but none of these ties really excite me. Liverpool play such boring football. and the other ties, with respect to all the sides, seem rather one sided. I cannot see any upsets.

TBH, I think that if Milan had have gotten through it would have been much worse. Arsenal are playing great stuff and are great to watch as are Barca and Roma and to a lesser extent Man Utd and Schalke. I would have loved to see Sevilla get through for entertainment reasons. The draw was a bit of a letdown for the neutral though. Schalke and Fenerbache got impossible tasks, Roma got the team they are least suited to playing again and Arsenal vs. pool just falls on a bad weekend

From being five points clear we now trail and Chelsea are close behind. Big games next Sunday. Arsenal and Chelsea and Liverpool and Man U.

Come on Bolton, take all 3 points today! That would help take some of the sting out of Arsenal's recent league form.

Absolutely shocking tackle by Cashley in an otherwise cracking game

His reaction to the referee afterwards has cemented his position as the league's most hated player.

This from the football365 blog, and this is mild comared to the Cashley related letters received on that site:

Has Ashley Sunk To The Very Lowest?

Posted 20/03/08 12:12EmailPrintSave

It's not about the tackle. It was rash, it was a red card, it was no less savage than Martin Taylor's challenge on Eduardo despite the merciful lack of lasting damage - but it was a mistimed tackle in the same vein as those committed by Steed Malbranque and Stephen Hunt this season, and those players have not been singled out for vitriol. Anyone who has ever played football on a regular basis knows they are guilty of at least one 'oh bugger, I've misjudged that slightly' moment.

No, it was the reaction. He is supposedly a grown man but he acted like a three-year-old. Actually, make that a two-year-old, because by the time most children are three they know when they have done something very, very wrong and have the good sense to say sorry.

I defy anyone - even Chelsea fans - not to watch the footage of Cole's booking by the cowardly Mike Riley and not mouth the word 'c***'. He argues the case, then turns and refuses to look at Riley in a 'if I don't see the yellow card, it doesn't count' way, only finally turning around when he is threatened with a red card, and then walks away muttering to himself at the injustice of it all.

Now read this extract from the tabloid tale of 'PRETTY blonde Aimee Walton', who did the sex thing with Cole after he vomited in the back of her friend's car on the way back from a club, and try again not to use the C word. And I don't mean Cole.

"During the ride he was slurring his words and was a right mess. Then he just threw up everywhere. My friend was going mad but he just smiled and said to me, 'She should be privileged Ashley Cole was sick in her car.'"

She should be 'privileged' that he vomited in her car.

Arsenal fans had good reason to villify Cole ater his behaviour before, during and after his move to Chelski. Not only did he meet (accidentally, of course) with Peter Kenyon and Jose Mourinho about a move while still an Arsenal player, admitted he nearly crashed his car when Arsenal only offered him a pitiful

Some good results for the bottom half, and some not so good results for the bottom half. I think Newcastle might just be clear, with Middlesbrough out of the relegation picture. I cannot see Fulham getting out. Tomorrows games should sort out the top a little more, or just muck it up.