the soccer thread

Bad luck today, I thought Arsenal had it when the scored, I guess I learned not to write Chelsea off at home. Sends Chelsea second, I think United will get their tenth title now.

I do not know if Bolton can get out of the drop, maybe just maybe.

Ac won yesterday, but they are still 5. The Uefa cup isn't that bad, right? 4 points is not that hard to pick up with 8 to go. keep on hoping.

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dusting off this ancient thread for some exciting news from Germany: https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11891/13113740/xabi-alonso-leads-bayer-leverkusen-to-first-bundesliga-title  

Posted Images

Bad luck today, I thought Arsenal had it when the scored

So did I. Double bummer today. It is definitely set up nice for Man U now.

I was nervous with Eboue on the field. I thought for sure he'd get a second yellow card. I still don't know what he brings to the team, other than a constant pouty face.

Anyone have thoughts on Mascherano's red? I think the referee was right to get him off the pitch. From what I read he did not stop 'back chating' the whole game, even after his first yellow. I think it is a good official who can say enough is enough and then take the necessary action.

Anyone have thoughts on Mascherano's red? I think the referee was right to get him off the pitch. From what I read he did not stop 'back chating' the whole game, even after his first yellow. I think it is a good official who can say enough is enough and then take the necessary action.

It was deserved, but I think there's a general inconsistency. Particularly when you consider that his crime, swearing and moaning at the ref, is really no different to Rooney or John Terry's usual method of petulant complaint. In fact John Terry is usually well over the top when confronting the ref, so much so that it may have cost him his England captaincy.

So in summary: yes, to send him off, but a shame it took the referees such a long time to act on something that's been happening for quite a while.

Basically, they should move towards the rugby way of treating the ref - the players have the utmost respect for him. If you swear you'll get yourself a yellow, and a 10 minute sit down of the field of play.

I think it's disgusting the way players treat Refs, regardless of whether their calls are right or wrong.

I agree that Masch deserved a red. The officials need to get respect and control back. Granted Graham Poll antics are counter-productive but those types should be fired or at least demoted anyway!

Did anyone watch the Poland/USA friendly? True, the Us still showed too little offense - though Altidore and Adu left at home having just played in the Olympic qualifiers AND succeeding! - but I'll take 3 goals from set pieces and a shut out on European soil anyday!1 WHOOT!! Bob Bradley is doing a fine job. Finally a coach is scheduling matches on hostile ground. That is the only way to progress. We have some fine young players that are getting the experience they deserve and need.

Big games this weekend. I am disappointed that Liverpool won, I would have like to have seen Everton in 4. Man U looks unstoppable at this point. I think Fulham have an almost impossible task to stay up and Bolton are not very far away from being resigned to going down.

I was angry that C. Ronaldo could not play for his country on Wed. but could play all 90 for club on the Sun before and the Sat after. Thought friendlies are not the most important thing it would have been nice for him to just say that he did not want to play rather than hide behind a fake injury.

I agree that it is promising that Bradley is scheduling more difficult friendlies than previous coaches, and it is good that they won. I am looking forward to the England - US game in May.

My Rapids beat the snot out of the Galaxy last night 4-0. And we do not even have David Beckham.

Had a bit of a scare this weekend but we pulled through somehow. It's hard to say how much i hate playing Middlesbrough. Also a good weekend for Juve although we didn't even play. Notice that Edwar is sidestepping another shocking Milan performance. I didn't catch the table but I assume Samp must be right behind you now if not infront.

Also, I disagree with you that playing Poland is a step forward. The next WC is years away and Poland do not play like the teams in your region (concaf?), you should take a page out of Brazil's book and be playing under 23 teams in preperation for the Olympics because you could actually win it. The good nations always choke

I avoided the AC situation because one it pisses me off, also most people on this board follow English football so I was trying to keep the conversation open. Samp is right behind us on goal difference.

We are thee big fish in our region and nearly assured of qualification along with Mexico so playing the likes of Bermuda or US Virgin Islands, two of the lowest rated teams in the world. By playing better teams, even if it is just Poland, the US is increasing it chances of doing well at the world cup, a bigger stage than the Olympics for football.

Liverpool vs Arsenal. Terrible game :punch

Only joking. It was amazingly captivating, showing just how football can be both joyous and cruel, and often at the same time.

I know it's a bit of a cliche but there truly is something indescribable about those European Anfield nights.

However, the Chelsea semi-final might be a different affair as the first leg is at Anfield.

• 2 weeks later...

Barcelona totally outplayed Man Utd and with the clean sheet are in a good position going to Old Trafford. I am hoping Barca go through.

I am really bummed about the talks of Flamini leaving Arsenal, and it sounds like he'll sign with Milan. I don't want him to go but if he must then that's where I would like to see him.

With the final set who will win? I think at this point it is 50-50, but in three weeks the tide could turn depending on injuries, and who wins the league. I honestly cannot call it one way or the other.

Which Milan team do you think Flamini is more likely to end up with? I have heard a lot about him and Inter, along with Helb, but now AC have entered the mix. This summer should be interesting, with lots of big name moves.

I think Man Utd will win league but Chelsea will win the CL. Though it would be sweet to see Man Utd lose both.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id...988&cc=5901

AC Milan confirm capture of Arsenal's Flamini

"AC Milan have agreed a four-year contract with Arsenal midfielder Mathieu Flamini, the Italian club confirmed on their website today. The 24-year-old, who is out of contract at the Emirates Stadium in the summer, underwent a medical on Monday and has reached agreement over a deal that will see him remain at the San Siro until June 2012."

:ohwell

Flamini, you made a big, bold move and I bet it doesn't work out for you. He should have stayed and cemented his place at Arsenal, he waited long enough for a run and established himself this season and then just ups and fucks off.

I am excited about Flamini, not only because he is a good player, but also because it shows a shift in direction. Milan are going to go after some good, young player this summer, which is what they need to do.

I don't get it, people say Milan are to old, yet when they go get younger players they say it was a bad idea. How can these both be true?

• 3 weeks later...

So with all the seasons over how does everyone feel?

I am pissed that AC only got fifth.

Bolton stayed up, I still do not now how, and United won the league, and now the Champions league.

Not a very good game. Pens are always exciting, but other than that not great football.

(I saw the other thread, but well you know)

Any interesting buys that you all know of?

The transfer rumors I've heard for Arsenal - Hleb's going to Inter, as his agent cannot keep yapping about. Samir Nasri from Marseille (the new Zidane as he's called) would be his replacement and I guess they are close to a deal, depending on where you are reading.

Hatem Ben Arfa of Lyon, who was Young Player of the Year in France, is another rumored to be coming. Yaya Toure is another that may come. Adebayor to Barcelona and possibly for Eto'o and Toure. I've also seen Roque Santa Cruz if Adebayor goes. Robinho, I guess, is in talks with Arsenal and Chelsea.

I bet Ronaldo is gone to Real Madrid. Not much left to prove at Man Utd.

• 2 weeks later...

:o

http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news?slug=afp-...p&type=lgns

Croatia's Da Silva set to return after horrific injury

ZAGREB (AFP) - Arsenal's Croatian striker Eduardo Da Silva, who suffered a horrific leg break earlier this year, said doctors had given him the all-clear to return to action in August, Croatian sports daily Sportske Novosti reported on Friday.

The 25-year-old Brazilian-born Croatian has been recovering since mid-April in a clinic in Rio De Janeiro and his return is good news as just in March, he had believed his recovery would take 15 months.

Eduardo suffered a compound fracture of the left leg following a tackle from Birmingham defender Martin Taylor at St Andrews in February.

"I am returning to Europe from Brazil at the beginning of August, perhaps even the end of July," Da Silva told Sportske Novosti. "Doctors tell me by then I will be fully recovered and able to play football again. I hope so too.

"I'm feeling well and my rehabilitation is going better than I would ever have hoped."

Croatia are in Group B of the June 7 to 29 Euro 2008 finals and will face Austria on June 8, Germany on June 12 and Poland four days later.

The recent absence of Eduardo, who has scored 13 goals in 18 matches for his country, has been a huge disappointment for coach Slaven Bilic. His replacement in the meantime has been 28-year-old Dortmund striker Mladen Petric.

A modest Eduardo had faith in his colleagues at the 16-nation tournament in Austria and Switzerland.

"I think the boys will play very well without me," Da Silva said. "They'll get through the group and, after that, we'll have to wait and see."

• 2 weeks later...

Jesus, that was a nice piece of soccer from David Villa just now.

it was pretty smooth although i thought torres' goal was one of the best i've seen in a long time.

I was making French toast when that happened. They just ran the clip of the call of that play from Spanish radio - it was hilarious.