Madison 9/11

It was like hearing the band for the first time.... You could actually hear bass notes and intricate snare drum work.

I agree. While the audience energy was more subdued than usual, the sound quality more than made up for it.

For many fans, being able to stand up and dance is an important component of a "great show." I'd like to think that I can listen to and enjoy the music and exceptional sound while dancing. Maybe you're annoyed with the use of the term "poser" which was probably thrown around somewhat carelessly; there are obviously wildly different expectations from fans in a crowd of that size and makeup. The notion of who "gets" the spirit of Wilco (and therefore acts accordingly at a show) is all about perspective anyway. Seems we all agree that the band sounded sensational. As for what kind of venue is the "best" Wilco venue, we all have different ideas. Good thing they play most of them, then.

I was in the second row of the first balcony and had an excellent view - mostly because the folks around me weren't standing up and dancing. I appreciated this, because I like to be able to see the stage and usually there's tall people around blocking my view. The crowd down on the floor seemed to be having a really good time, which was fun to watch. Sad we missed out on a couple songs due to the curfew, though, and I would have liked to see more Dr. Dog as well. But the sound was great (except for the guys who wouldn't shut up behind me).

I'm glad I grabbed a ticket to the Eagles Ballroom show next month. It'll be great to see the band in two very different venues. (I went to Summerfest a few years ago and it just wasn't worth it, but the Minus 5 show I caught in Chicago in 2003 was one of the best I'll probably ever see - second row, surprise Wilco showing, fantastic Tweedy.)

My 4th Wico show (Bridge School 2003, Farm Aid 2005, Madison 2006 - Barrymore Theater). I've seen Tweedy twice solo (Milwaukee Pabst 2007 and Orpheum Theater 2006). Great venue, the Overture Center is. It's nice that they don't allow you to bring in drinks into the theater itself. I wish I could of seen the view from the stage because with all the wood and lights going in different angles seemed pretty cool.

I personally enjoyed just sitting in the first balcony, row 3 dead center because I could see everything. No need to get up and dance because the sound was just perfect. It was amazing. The lighting was soooo cool. On and On and On is my favorite new song. Huge stage though, I mean they had like room enough to fit them like 5 more times. Tweedy's voice however seemed a little muffled like someone else said. However, the acoustics were perfect. The wood does a great job creating a great sound in there. Maybe turn it up just a hair like someone said during the show.

I liked how he made fun of the people that were late however they were coming from the very last row I guess. Then the whole sit and stand thing was kinda funny. I liked sitting and enjoying the whole show. Just because I wasn't up and dancing and annoying people trying to see the show behind you, didn't mean I DIDN'T enjoy the show. I enjoyed it just as much as the person downstairs dancing. I did the same thing for a St. Louis Ryan Adams show. I was like second row balcony at the Pageant. Perfect seats to see the light show and the whole band.

Great show!! Can't wait for them to come thru Madison again. They always seem to sell out shows in Madison. The barrymore theater show last year was my favorite show that i've seen by them. However, the all acoustic set at Bridge School was pretty bad ass. Even Adam Duritz from the Counting Crows really enjoyed that set he said. That was the best festival i've ever seen, especially that year.

Now I know why I have to see my favorite bands standing up in dumpy places. I can't believe the complaints about the crowd and the venue. Wouldn't someone who is more concerned about dancing, and what other fans are doing at the show than watching the band, be the poser? I can't think of a more fitting description. May I suggest a dance club for dancing, and State St. for people watching?

It wasn't a violin recital. Live rock music is all about the vibes between the band and the audience. From where I was sitting, it was a one-way thing. The band was playing its heart out, and the crowd was observing it like it was a lab specimen. You don't need to "people watch" to pick up the fact that lots of people in the crowd weren't allowing their pulse to raise beyond resting level. You can just feel it. As far as dancing, I couldn't care less about that. I much prefer standing during the entire show, though - the energy level in the place plummets when everyone sits. This is why Tweedy spent the whole night complaining about people sitting.

The Overture Center is beautiful; it's just not a rock venue. Elderly ushers shining flashlights in people's faces telling them to sit down just ain't right. I think we just have different attitudes toward concert-going. Sure, the Eagles Ballroom is a dump, but I've enjoyed the sweaty, crowded Wilco shows there more than the sterile luxury of the Overture. Having said all that, Tuesday night's show was still a lot of fun.

"Live rock music is all about the vibes between the band and the audience".

I'm quite sure they can create great music without your vibes.

"This is why Tweedy spent the whole night complaining about people sitting".

People sat only for the second and third song on the floor, what are you talking about?

"Elderly ushers shining flashlights in people's faces telling them to sit down just ain't right".

ditto above

I'm quite sure they can create great music without your vibes.

That's my point. Great music is only part of a great concert. The audience should meet the band halfway, try to match its energy level and enthusiasm. That's why last year's show at the Barrymore (and the shows at Otto's in '04, for instance) were truly special, and Tuesday's show was merely good.

But hey, I understand that not everybody agrees with me on this. If you're purely focused on the band's performance and don't care about the atmosphere, I don't want to continue arguing with you. I'm not looking to be a buzz kill - I'm just giving my honest opinion about the venue.

People sat only for the second and third song on the floor, what are you talking about?

I wasn't talking about people sitting on the floor level (although Jeff did keep after the folks on the floor who were bobbing up and down depending on the song's tempo). I was sitting in the first balcony. Maybe this accounts for the misunderstanding. Also, as far as my "poseur" comment: I'm not sure why you took that personally. I was distracted by people around me who were clearly disinterested in the show - sitting and talking throughout songs, leaving 3-4 times, etc. I wasn't referring to genuine fans of the band like you.

as much as I have also repeatedly looked on via chicago to see if this show is available for download... it is customary to wait 1 to 2 weeks before requesting the show. I noticed some mic's setup in the front row and I can only hope there will be a recording of this. But please be patient with the tapers.

• 1 month later...