Ashes of American Flags

Spiders

----------------------

Misunderstood*

California Stars

I'm Always in Love*

Outtasite(Outtamind)*

*Not played, but on the set

Stellar show, even though the crowd was a little stale (but that's to be expected in a seated venue). I was the only person in the lowest balcony that had the balls to dance. If nobody else was moved to dance by ANY of these songs....no, that's not possible. All in all, it was probably the most fun I've had at a concert in a long time. I do kinda wish that Jeff talked a little more. He was pretty quiet, except for a "If we can't clap together, the terrorists have won!...If you learned nothing from September 11th...." Here's to tomorrow!

Great show, but it KILLS me that we didn't get those last three songs. I haven't heard "Outtasite" in four years. There was clearly a curfew at the venue, because Dr. Dog was told to wrap up after only a half hour, and Wilco came back for the second encore after about 30 seconds. The Overture Center is pretty, but I'll take a smaller, cheaper venue that lets the band play as long as it wants. Plus with such a big crowd there were plenty of disinterested poseurs. Still a great time...a guitar orgy.

Dr. Dog was told to wrap up after only a half hour, and Wilco came back for the second encore after about 30 seconds.... Plus with such a big crowd there were plenty of disinterested poseurs.

How was Dr. Dog? And what gave the posers away?

Sorry to beat Paul to it....

:lol Good thing you posted; we probably would have been waiting a loong time.

The first encore was excellent. And the Overture Center is beautiful, but I think the Barrymore show last November spoiled me forever in terms of Madison venues for Wilco.

The crowd was small but polite for Dr. Dog. A good amount of applause at the end of each song. I'd seen them once before and thought they were terrific. I wish they could've played longer. Once again, thanks, Overture curfew!

I was in the first balcony and nearly everyone near me just sat there. No singing, no fist pumping, not even any feet stomping. Definitely no dancing. It was like they were watching it on TV. But at least they were quiet, i.e. no extended conversations during songs. Lots of getting up and leaving in the middle of songs.

I was in the first balcony and nearly everyone near me just sat there. No singing, no fist pumping, not even any feet stomping. Definitely no dancing. It was like they were watching it on TV. But at least they were quiet, i.e. no extended conversations during songs. Lots of getting up and leaving in the middle of songs.

That sucks. Why go to a Wilco show then? I will be glued to my chair tomorrow, well not the chair, but my general area around the chair. There will be plenty of fist pumping, cheering, head nodding, and maybe a little dancing in my area. :thumbup

Damn! I can't believe we missed out on Misunderstood and et cetera! :realmad

I was in the 10th row, first row after the break, so there was lots of room to move around and plenty of dancing, bobbing, bouncing, fist pumping, etc. I agree on the poseurs in the crowd.... but after Jeff referenced all the empty seats down front and the fans waaaaaaaaay up high, plenty of folks came down to fill in the blank spots. Not the poseurs, but the ones there for the music and the fun.

Nels was, of course, ridiculous! Hey, what was he shredding on the guitar with? A comb?! Told hubby I'd ask here. I agree the venue was beautiful, but there should be no sitting at a Wilco show! And I thought everyone was in good spirits. Jeff was relatively quiet, but he had his moments with the up-down stuff, the clapping, the empty seats, etc.

The people around me were kind, into it, and quiet--very nice. I was a Nick's but didn't see anyone--no red Wilco jersey! But the burger and beers were good, so thanks for the recommendation. Even though Eagle's Ballroom sucks, I'm looking forward to a GA crowd. (I'll probably retract that on 10/10...)

I had high expectations for this venue, the Overture Center being one of the most amazing places I ever dreamed of seeing Wilco. The sound was inconceivably perfect where I was sitting (way way way up high near the back) and that alone made up for all the shortcomings. For instance, the girl in front of me that couldn't hold her liquor. She sat on the edge of her seat, so I had to do the same to see the band over her. But then she kept flailing her arms over hear head and practically hitting me. This annoyed me, but then again I can't blame her because NO ONE up there was standing or dancing. Eventually I got fed up with the deadbeats and got my thrills during Red-Eyed and Blue > I Got You.

The band sounded absolutely amazing. I'm just glad I have good seats in Minneapolis to get out the minor frustrations from Madison. All in all this was well worth the road trip to madtown because of the unique atmosphere in the Overture Center.

My favorite moment was the groove in the middle of Pot Kettle Black. This is a show I would listen to on disc over and over.

:lol Good thing you posted; we probably would have been waiting a loong time.

Sorry for the brief dereliction in setlist duty, Kevin and other Madison show attendees, but I was otherwise occupied last night! :) Wonderstruck, you might say. Glad people had fun at the show...:cheers

Did you see me over on the right dancing and jumping and, yes, flailing my arms during the appropriate songs? :dancing

Thought the set was great, although the vocals were muddy for both Dr. Dog and Wilco. Could've been that we were in the back corner of the dress circle seats. Was cool to hear "Too Far Apart" and "Pot Kettle Black."

Always the toughest of decisions to stand up and dance in a hall where the majority of people are sitting, especially in the dress circle. Will definitely get our energy out tonight - even bringing our friend to his first Wilco show (4th row!!!)

Can't wait...

-billy

great show! we were 3rd row center and it fricken rocked. The 3 people I went with it was there first show and afterwards they were going crazy. I am glad they closed with california stars, I seem to always miss the shows that they pull that one out at. Dr Dog was really great too, I wished they woulda played a little longer but oh well.

Thanks for the pics--they look great. It's interesting to read how many people came away with many of the same impressions such as the power of On and On and On and the incredible sound... and flat audience. I can't wait until the next show.

Now I know why I have to see my favorite bands standing up in dumpy places. I can't believe the complaints about the crowd and the venue. Wouldn't someone who is more concerned about dancing, and what other fans are doing at the show than watching the band, be the poser? I can't think of a more fitting description. May I suggest a dance club for dancing, and State St. for people watching?

This is the best venue Wilco has ever played. It was like hearing the band for the first time. I didn't think Jeff was more quiet than usual, and the comment about being able to "lay you all out" if the crowd was into resting and sitting, was hilarious.

The reworked Via Chicago was much more enjoyable than ever before. Jeff's acoustic did indeed sound amazing at times.

You could actually hear bass notes and intricate snare drum work. This was the spoiler show. Any other venue will pale.