be not so fearful

I was just listening to the 9-30-04 show from Burlington, VT I attended and I finally came across the last song which just so happened to be "not so fearful". I got to thinking that Tweedy really respects Bill Fay and, subsequently so do I, yet I've never heard Fay's version. This may be a reach but I was wondering if anyone has or knows where I can get a copy of Bill Fay's original version of "Be not so fearful"?

I remember having a studio version of this song by Wilco, but I can't find it anywhere..

Was it just a dream, or is it up for download somewhere?

it's in this list: http://www.owlandbear.com/2007/03/06/hoste...rs-compilation/

This is one of the greatest songs ever written in my humble opinion. Fay's version is excellent and both of his albums are in print and well worth tracking down. If you just want to sample, both Bill Fay and Time of the Last Persecution have been upped to many mp3 album sharing sites and a google search will probably lead you to them. I recommend eventually going out and getting them, come on for Be Not So Fearful alone the man deserves my 12.99. I am extremely thankful to Tweedy and O'Rourke for plugging this guy and getting me into him.

--Mike

I was just listening to the 9-30-04 show from Burlington, VT I attended and I finally came across the last song which just so happened to be "not so fearful". I got to thinking that Tweedy really respects Bill Fay and, subsequently so do I, yet I've never heard Fay's version. This may be a reach but I was wondering if anyone has or knows where I can get a copy of Bill Fay's original version of "Be not so fearful"?

Like many others I had never heard of Bill Fay (I'm from England and nobody here knows or remembers him!) until I heard a soundboard recording of Wilco's show at Hammersmith in London in 2005, a month or two before the Kicking Television shows in Chicago. Bill Fay was apparently in the audience or that's the impression you get from Tweedy's introduction which is actually quite moving, as is the version of the song.

I too went out and got his first album which is quite lovely. Imagine then the feeling when Fay turns up onstage at Shepherds Bush Empire in May this year (the first night of the two webcasts) and duets on BNSF. It was a magic moment, Fay's first time on stage in 30 years and Tweedy was kind of coaxing him through it almost whispering the song together. He just looked like an old man off the street, grey beard and shy. Talk about great lost albums........

the next best thing to a studio version of this track that wilco does is on a KRCW session or something. no audience banter or whatever but still not entirely a studio take, I'll find it and post it tomorrow or something.

that would be great. thanks!

Thread inspired me to listen to self-titled and Time of the Last Persecution. I can not understate the brilliance of this man.

--Mike

I couldn't believe it when he came on stage with Jeff at the first of the London shows earlier this year... He looked really uncomfortable at the praise he was fatting from Jeff (I think he said that his (Bill's) music meant more to him than any other artists over the past few years...

I was a little pissed and may be talking shit, but it was something like that... Man I love that picture on the cover of the self-titled record by BF, it looks like he's walking on water on the serpentine in Hyde Park, there's also some great sleeve notes with that album where he mentions how bewildering and flattering it has been te recieve all this attention since JT bigged him up...

Alex

the next best thing to a studio version of this track that wilco does is on a KRCW session or something. no audience banter or whatever but still not entirely a studio take, I'll find it and post it tomorrow or something.

Thanks! I guess that's the version I had.

I couldn't believe it when he came on stage with Jeff at the first of the London shows earlier this year... He looked really uncomfortable at the praise he was fatting from Jeff (I think he said that his (Bill's) music meant more to him than any other artists over the past few years...

I was a little pissed and may be talking shit, but it was something like that... Man I love that picture on the cover of the self-titled record by BF, it looks like he's walking on water on the serpentine in Hyde Park, there's also some great sleeve notes with that album where he mentions how bewildering and flattering it has been te recieve all this attention since JT bigged him up...

Alex

That show was webcast and Jeff did say that about Bill. I've had Garden Song stuck in my head all morning, and if I'm lucky it'll stay there all day.

--Mike

I'd love to hear that version too. That would be really cool if you could post it.

I don't have speakers on this computer but I am pretty sure this contains a false start where some ones cell phone goes off and causes the amps to get all wacky fuzz. Or that might be another song from that session. any way here it is

Wilco - Be Not So Fearful (Live on KRCW)

http://www.sendspace.com/file/y281md

hey, thanks very much! yes, quite a ways into the song jeff has to stop and start over because of someone's cell phone going off. otherwise the sound is good, better than the other live version.

yeah I couldn't remember if it was that track or when the roses bloom again. some one should split it into two tracks or I will once I redownload an mp3 splitter program

ooo, that can be done? (split into two tracks.) i for one would be VERY grateful, and others would be too. it's such a gorgeous song. i've been listening more to your version, and after the cell phone bit it really is way better than the only other one sung by jeff that i've found. thank you for persevering with this!

ooo, that can be done? (split into two tracks.) i for one would be VERY grateful, and others would be too. it's such a gorgeous song. i've been listening more to your version, and after the cell phone bit it really is way better than the only other one sung by jeff that i've found. thank you for persevering with this!

yep it can be done I will try and do it tomorrow if time in my busy schedule of having the day off permits.