Why Doesn't Anyone Listen to the Kinks?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Celluloid Heroes is one of my favorite songs of all time. I can't speak highly enough of the band.

The Kinks are one of those bands where I feel like I don't have nearly enough of their catalog as I should.

But I do still listen to the Kinks.

Must Owns -

Village Green

Arthur or the decline. . ..

Lola vs. powerman

Muswell Hillbillies

(I'm a sucker fo the first four as well, even though they are pretty stright forward)

The Live LP from '80 is a pretty fine live record. The version of Superman on that record is great for crankin' up the speakers. And Low Budget too.

Great band. Fantastic songwriting. What's not to like?

I probably have about 10 records of their's, usually one gets in the rotation when I need some inspiration.

I am someone. I am an editor of a minor, non-metropolitan newspaper. I am an award-winning journalist. I have a blog, a 1986 Mets throwback jersey, and two satellite radios. I listen to the Kinks.

I will admit that I've only really listened to a double disk greatest hits until recently. I've been enjoying discovering all these great album cuts of theirs lately.

there's alot to find on a lot of their records, I just listed what i did, because those folks need to hear for sure if they have not. Everyone's in ShoBiz is great, the early albums again are really good to, I like Sleepwalker, Both presrvation acts and if you can find it, the GREAT LOST KINKS RECORD or ALBUM cant remember which it is off the top of my head.

I've been spinning a lot of kinks stuff lately, or as much as I can get my hands on. It seems impossible to track down any of their albums locally in Vancouver. I bought Village Green in Chicago a few years ago and I got Musewell Hillbillies off a friend. My band has been kicking around a cover of "Wicked Annabella" lately as well.

I've been quite obsessed with Arthur lately. The riff on that last track is fucking unreal. Catchiest thing ever? I think so.

I think the Kinks were better than the Beatles, by the way. Hope that helps them seem a bit less underrated! :cheers

Where were you to back me up in The Beatles thread when I said that?

The albums that I'd say are essential are, as mentioned, Village Green Pres, Arthur, Lola, Muswell Hillbillies. I'd also say that Percy is a great album, as is Face To Face; and although I don't like all of Something Else, it's got a lot of brilliant songs on it (especially if you get the more recent reissue with the bonus single cuts & b-sides on it). Also, the first 3 have some incredible songs on them too. Then, I'm also a big fan of Soap Opera - if you can put up with the narration, the songs are fandabidozi

"To The Bone" The best Sing-Along album for ages

AllMusic:

Since the mid-'70s, The Kinks have not been able to stop themselves from attempting their own variations on pop music trends, taking stabs at everything from bombastic heavy metal to sleek disco-flavored pop. On To the Bone, the group became another one of the scores of veteran rock acts to record an acoustic, "unplugged" album. However, the group's American popularity was at an all-time low in the mid-'90s and the band wasn't able to score a major-label record deal, let alone land a spot on MTV's prime-time ratings bonanza, Unplugged. So, the group financed their acoustic greatest-hits record To the Bone themselves, releasing it on the U.K. independent label Grapevine. Naturally, Ray Davies' songs work well in such a stripped-back setting, but the album is nothing more than a pleasant diversion, featuring a lovely version of "Waterloo Sunset," possibly the most beautiful song of the rock & roll era.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned You Really Got Me. Now that's Rock and Roll!!! :guitar

Wilco fans should certainly enjoy Face To Face, Village Green, Lola vs Powerman, Musewell Hillbillies and Arthur. Maybe even Misfits.

I like Tweedy's version of Oklahoma, USA.