Because it's pretty much the same thing

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's the thing. This is a debate. A debate about one of the subjects that Miss Manners warns is a subject one should not converse about in polite company. I would prefer not to generalize about my generalizations. I haven't generalized in the context of this debate. Extrapolate what you like, but we seem to have enough on the debate plate without having to bring in yet another course.
So, there are subjects in which you generalize
Where do you guys live that you have religious people going door to door?

We haven't had that in years.

Now, we just have people trying to shove Kirby Vacuums and encyclopedias down our throats.

I wish I could post the church listings out of the paper for you to see - in a town of about 50,000 - we have over a one hundred churches throughout the area.

Work keeps interferring with my post - what I am saying is - I live in a very religious minded state. Hench - the four religious channels on the cable system.

You sound like a politician by answering the question without actually answering the question.

so, you're really going to try and convince me that you aren't using the phrase in a deragatory fashion? you aren't trying to offend or belittle the intelligence of those who may actually believe in said god?

If you find the term derogatory, perhaps you should take a closer look at why you find it derogatory.

If you're going to criticize someone for not really answering a question, you should at least not do so yourself on the same page. I don't think you need an explanation for why "sky god" was derogatory, but I'll go ahead and humor you. You were doing so to be dismissive about people's beliefs. You know that no one here believes in Zeus, and you were trying to equate their belief in God to a belief in Greek mythology, something that is so obviously fabricated.

If you find the term derogatory, perhaps you should take a closer look at why you find it derogatory.

okay, i'll bite...i find it derogatory because you are using the phrase to belittle my intellignece via my belief in it. again, that's not what you're trying to do? please answer w/ a straight yes or no.

you continue to miss my point...i could care less if you actually respect my beliefs themselves. it's the respectful discourse in the articulation of those opposite views that you don't seem to grasp. i may not respect a certain belief, but yeah...I guess i do respect someone's right to have that belief.

how does my belief in god, whether IN YOUR VIEW there is little to no evidence of his existence, infringe upon you?

Your personal belief does not, but, if you are a member of the Christian faith, the organization you belong to does

I don't think you truly grasp how personal faith really works. Having faith does not mean you are automatically conscripted into an organization. It's possible to have Christian faith without belonging to any organized version of Christianity--and it's even possible to have such faith while simultaneously deploring the actions and attitudes of certain organizations that happen to share with you a few core theological ideas.

:thumbup

I don't think you truly grasp how personal faith really works. Having faith does not mean you are automatically conscripted into an organization. It's possible to have Christian faith without belonging to any organized version of Christianity--and it's even possible to have such faith while simultaneously deploring the actions and attitudes of certain organizations that happen to share with you a few core theological ideas.

AMEN! praise Beltmann!!! :worship

If you're going to criticize someone for not really answering a question, you should at least not do so yourself on the same page. I don't think you need an explanation for why "sky god" was derogatory, but I'll go ahead and humor you. You were doing so to be dismissive about people's beliefs. You know that no one here believes in Zeus, and you were trying to equate their belief in God to a belief in Greek mythology, something that is so obviously fabricated.

Yet belief in Zeus is every bit as valid as belief in our current version of

I do, of course, understand that