Because it's pretty much the same thing

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

judiasm isn't a race. nice job :thumbup

Jew (Hebrew: יְהוּדִי, Yehudi (sl.); יְהוּדִים, Yehudim (pl.); Ladino: ג׳ודיו, Djudio (sl.); ג׳ודיוס, Djudios (pl.); Yiddish: ייִד, Yid (sl.); ייִדן, Yidn (pl.))[1] is a member of the Jewish people, an ethnic group originating in the Israelites or "Hebrews" of the ancient Middle East. The ethnicity and the religion of Judaism, the traditional faith of the Jewish nation, are strongly interrelated, and converts to Judaism are both included and have been absorbed within the Jewish people throughout the millennia.

Kike is a racial slur based upon ones ethnicity - no?

I wish Al Gore or Haile Selassie would get the admins to outlaw the posting of whole shows in Mp3 on Via Chicago.

I read this whole damn thread and this was the thing I felt I could really hang my hat on. :thumbup

Cool - you may want to point that out to Jules.

okay. jules:

No.

now, as I was talking to you about your belief on how it's okay to 'belittle' me...answer me this, is there a difference between a white supremisicst using the word 'nigger' and a black man using the word 'nigger'?

Yeah, Britannica is wrong. It's used against Jews of any ethnicity, and there are a number of ethnicities represented among the Jews worldwide.edit: AND MORE IMPORTANTLY, it's NOT used against non-Jews of semitic origin.
Well then, you may want to email this Rabbi and set him straight. It's both. http://judaism.about.com/od/orthodoxfaqenk...eorreligion.htm
okay. jules:now, as I was talking to you about your belief on how it's okay to 'belittle' me...answer me this, is there a difference between a white supremisicst using the word 'nigger' and a black man using the word 'nigger'?
No, I don
Tell me how someone from Senegal who is Jewish is of the same race as someone from Acra who is Jewish (and not of the same race as the other Senegalese who live the next village over), and I'll agree with you.

Honestly, I'm not quite sure - why not ask the Rabbi?

http://judaism.about.com/od/orthodoxfaqenk...eorreligion.htm

Well, I'm asking you. Is it a racial term, or is it a religious term, as it is used? If one calls a Senegalese Jew a kike, but not a Semitic non-Jew, is it a racial term?

I would guess, in most instances, its use is meant to be ethnically derogatory.

But again, that is just a guess. You would have to ask a person who uses such a term in what context it is meant

I don't think you truly grasp how personal faith really works. Having faith does not mean you are automatically conscripted into an organization. It's possible to have Christian faith without belonging to any organized version of Christianity--and it's even possible to have such faith while simultaneously deploring the actions and attitudes of certain organizations that happen to share with you a few core theological ideas.

Wouldn't that just involve you believing there is a God, but also that there is no actual path to him which you can take during your lifetime. Otherwise as soon as you start thinking about wrongs and rights, and what God views as such, you're starting to step into the world of organized religion. Because you have to base those beliefs on someone else's teachings, or make up your own (which, again, is still organised).

Personally, if I think there is any kind of higher power running the universe then I think he is uninterested in us, therefore what I do will have no effect on how he views me, and if there is life after death it is not a heaven & hell situation - but I wouldn't call that a faith. I do believe in certain morals that I try hard to stick to, but I wouldn't call myself religious based on those facts. So, surely something more is needed (ie. a level of sway toward organized religion) to classify a person as religious. No?

Really?! The repeated use of 'nigger' as a term of endearment on the part of a sizeable number of black youth is no different than it's use by a white man to belittle and express a perceived superiority to someone who is black?!

You are backpeddling again and your use of this phrase is not at all facetious...'don't make me use the search function.' What I am equating, is the view that belittling anybody, regardless of it's connotation being based on ethnicity/sexual preference or belief...is still bellittling AKA being intolerant AKA expressing superiority AKA putting yourself above others.

please, respectfully, quit retreating into the quotes of others as well and follow your statements through. you've called yourself a person of strong convictions...i don't care as much about what 'the rabbi' or any of the other people you like to quote has to say, back yourself up.

I find it offensive regardless of who is mouthing it

Really?! The repeated use of 'nigger' as a term of endearment on the part of a sizeable number of black youth is no different than it's use by a white man to belittle and express a perceived superiority to someone who is black?!

You are backpeddling again and your use of this phrase is not at all facetious...'don't make me use the search function.' What I am equating, is the view that belittling anybody, regardless of it's connotation being based on ethnicity/sexual preference or belief...is still bellittling AKA being intolerant AKA expressing superiority AKA putting yourself above others.

please, respectfully, quit retreating into the quotes of others as well and follow your statements through. you've called yourself a person of strong convictions...i don't care as much about what 'the rabbi' or any of the other people you like to quote has to say, back yourself up.

I find it offensive regardless of who is mouthing it

If you choose to believe something that has no basis in fact, I have the right to question that belief.

Religious belief is, in now way, in my opinion, equitable with race, sex or sexual preference