Because it's pretty much the same thing

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

okay...but WHY do you find it offensive? you are still missing my point. is it offensive to you because it is being used to belittle somebody or, in the case of the black person using it, the disregard towards the fact it is also used to belittle people?equally a missed point is the quotation thing. in the case of the 'kike' question...you didn't bolster, you deferred. plus, (don't make me use the search function) a lot of the quotes you post are other people's beliefs and hardly fact. posting irrefutable fact to substantiate a point is one thing, posting someone else's beliefs verus articulating your own is another.
Because its use is meant to be hateful
1. of course you do. the issue is whether you have the right to belittle and/or view yourself as superior to me based upon it.

2. where it does become equitable...there is a choice upon how you interact or tolerate w/ someone based on the differences.

3. some people, based on the way the choose to express their certain religious beliefs, are intolerant.

The bible, itself, is, in many ways, intolerant.

Ok, answer this please:

If our civilization was to fall, and rise again, is it possible that a new god may take the place of the current god? And, if so, is it possible that the new version of god would, in no way, resemble the current version? And, if so, would that render current god obsolete?

I think this actually speaks clearly to how off base you are. You confuse religion with personal beliefs and and the conditioned presentation of a faith's diety with the experience of godliness.

Except for some narrow groups you're trying to deride the point isn't in being right, but in the act of worship itself.

There is a distinction--albeit probably an irrelevant one in terms of its effect on the person on the receiving end--between a slur based on a trait like skin color or sex, and one based upon one's beliefs.

So,

TDW is convinced that he doesn't think he's "above" believers in god, and some of you are convinced that he does think he's above believers in God despite what he says.

does that sum up where we are at this point? (I've had to work and grab lunch, I just want to make sure I'm caught up)

The bible, itself, is, in many ways, intolerant.

the bible, based on the way some people choose to interpret it, can be viewed as intolerant.

is the oweness of these issues you take w/ christianity on man or god/the bible? should we abolish both versus trying to foster a dilaogue of understanding between opposing viewpoints. you are all about accountability for one's personal beliefs...why take issue w/ the bible or concept of god itself?

There is a distinction--albeit probably an irrelevant one in terms of its effect on the person on the receiving end--between a slur based on a trait like skin color or sex, and one based upon one's beliefs.

So,

TDW is convinced that he doesn't think he's "above" believers in god, and some of you are convinced that he does think he's above believers in God despite what he says.

does that sum up where we are at this point? (I've had to work and grab lunch, I just want to make sure I'm caught up)

Also, Jews are both a particle and a wave, just like light.

while i would never personally disagree w/ a popular distinction between the two...due to the bolded part above...the end result makes any sort of slur counter-productive to co-existence and serves no purpose other than putting yourself above someone.

so, yes, TDW is convinced that he doesn't think he's "above" believers in god, and i'm convinced that he does think he's above believers in God despite what he says.

so, yes, TDW is convinced that he doesn't think he's "above" believers in god, and i'm convinced that he does think he's above believers in God despite what he says.

For the record, I think I'm above you. Which isn't meant as a dig at you...it's just that I'm really, really awesome.

a mackerel snapper

Never mind all that guff. What the hell is a mackerel snapper? It sounds dirty. Bear in mind that for some reason I have lesbians on the mind so that may have something to do with the connotations.

while i would never personally disagree w/ a popular distinction between the two...due to the bolded part above...the end result makes any sort of slur counter-productive to co-existence and serves no purpose other than putting yourself above someone.

yep.

I'm below most of you, at least latitudinally.

the bible, based on the way some people choose to interpret it, can be viewed as intolerant.

is the oweness of these issues you take w/ christianity on man or god/the bible? should we abolish both versus trying to foster a dilaogue of understanding between opposing viewpoints. you are all about accountability for one's personal beliefs...why take issue w/ the bible or concept of god itself?

It has nothing to do with interpretation, some parts are downright intolerant.

But one example:

"If we apply sola scriptura to slavery, I'm afraid the abolitionists are on relatively weak ground. Nowhere is slavery in the Bible lambasted as an oppressive and evil institution: Vaughn Roste, United Church of Canada staff.

Overview:

The quotation by Jefferson Davis, listed above, reflected the beliefs of many Americans in the 19th century. Slavery was seen as having been "sanctioned in the Bible." They argued that:

Biblical passages recognized, controlled, and regulated the practice.

The Bible permitted owners to beat their slaves severely, even to the point of killing them. However, as long as the slave lingered longer than 24 hours before dying of the abuse, the owner was not regarded as having committed a crime, because -- after all -- the slave was his property. 4

Paul had every opportunity to write in one of his Epistles that human slavery -- the owning of one person as a piece of property by another -- is profoundly evil. His letter to Philemon would have been an ideal opportunity to vilify slavery. But he wrote not one word of criticism.

Jesus could have condemned the practice. He might have done so. But there is no record of him having said anything negative about the institution.

Eventually, the abolitionists gained sufficient power to eradicate slavery in most areas of the world by the end of the 19th century. Slavery was eventually recognized as an extreme evil. But this paradigm shift in understanding came at a cost. Christians wondered why the Bible was so supportive of such an immoral practice. They questioned whether the Bible was entirely reliable. Perhaps there were other practices that it accepted as normal which were profoundly evil -- like genocide, torturing prisoners, raping female prisoners of war, forcing rape victims to marry their rapists, executing religious minorities, burning some hookers alive, etc. The innocent faith that Christians had in "the Good Book" was lost -- never to be fully regained.

Yes, El, you are correct, in general, I think I