Because it's pretty much the same thing

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

to prove it has nothing to do with interpretation you post someone else's interpretation? :brow

right on. some people used the lack of any specific condemnation of slavery as support and that makes the book itself intolerant. i still fault man in that case, not the book itself. besides, getting to the root of your issue w/ the belief that there is an actual god...as god himself didn't write the book, using it as a silver bullet against or to discount my belief seems a red herring (or mackarel). some people may look at the book as the absolute word of god, i don't. i view it as someone's interpretation of the word of god coming through them. considering you are talking w/ me, lets use that view to level-set.

Yes, El, you are correct, in general, I think I
What do I look like? Some kind of Skygoddess?

Well, yes, you do, actually.

:blush

go camping.

The thing that makes this thread such a train wreck is that you have some speaking of their personal experiences of religious practice or belief. Then you have another party refuting their belief, one can only assume to either justify their own existential crisis or to try and coerce others to give up their beliefs. If one wants to disprove god or any spiritual system it isn't particularly difficult to do. It is, however, irrelevant. The point is in the practice. The healing and peace comes from the mindset that accompanies it. In the other thread Joe Dirt eluded to the eradication of religion which to me was both scary and ironic. Ironic since we're a nation founded on religious freedom & scary based on one wanting to remove the rights of another. Particularly one who claims to be so far left as Joe Dirt. It would lead me to the belief that the fear that the right wants to curtail civil rights might be accurate, but that those fears should not only be reserved for conservatives. It's just another form of think as I do and we'll get along fine.

pretty much. i'll just oversimplify it and say i have no problem w/ anybody denying the existence of god or disagreeing w/ the pillars of any faith/religion whatsoever...i just have a problem w/ someone being judgemental or intolerant towrds these things because...they...don't...like...how...people...who...do...are...judgemental and intolerant.

seriously though, the whole comment on the curtailing of civil rights really is frightening. equal rights...as long as they equal what i want them to be. it's happening on both wings too.

maybe that's where my grandpa picked it up.

Mackerel Snapper, or Mackeral Snapper, is a sectarian term for Roman Catholics, referring to the pre-Vatican II custom of Friday abstinence. The Friday abstinence from meat (red meat and poultry) distinguished Catholics from other Christians, especially in North America, where Protestant churches prevailed and Catholics tended to be poor immigrants from Italy and Ireland.

One example of the term's use comes from a letter to University of Notre Dame president Fr. Matthew Walsh from an anonymous Klansman who was upset with the recent actions of Notre Dame students in breaking up a Klan rally in South Bend:

. . . You can thank your lucky stars that you have your buildings intack (sic), for if the Knights of the Ku Klux Klan assembled in South Bend last Saturday (May 17th) had been as lawless as your bunch of Anarchist students, they would have wiped the Notre Dame Buildings off the earth.

. . . You will see that the Klan will grow by leaps and bounds in and around South Bend. Your Mackerel Snapping (emphasis added) hoodlums couldn't have done anything to help along the cause of the Klan any better.

. . . We showed you a few tricks at the recent Primary, now we are going to show you several more at the election in the Fall. I say down with Catholic dominition (sic) of every kind in AMARICA (sic).[1]

The moniker "Mackerel Snapping Anarchist" has been adopted by some students on the Notre Dame campus in much the same way the originally insulting "Fighting Irish" was adopted by the University as a nickname and source of pride.

The Church still calls Catholics to a Friday abstinence. However, individual Catholics are allowed to choose their own form of abstinence. Catholics are still called to abstain from meat on Ash Wednesday, Good Friday, and every Friday of Lent.

That is all Wikipedia had -