Underrated Records

Damien Jurado -- Where Shall You Take Me?

Weird, I was just going to post this when I decided to read all the old posts. This is one of my favorite albums ever. Its super moody all the way from post-violence weirdness (Amateur Night) to the happiness of going to a movie (Matinee). Omaha is a stunningly beautiful road song. I can't recommend it highly enough and have never heard anyone (except you, Noah) talk about it.

4175TB4QANL._SS500_.jpg

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Weird, I was just going to post this when I decided to read all the old posts. This is one of my favorite albums ever. Its super moody all the way from post-violence weirdness (Amateur Night) to the happiness of going to a movie (Matinee). Omaha is a stunningly beautiful road song. I can't recommend it highly enough and have never heard anyone (except you, Noah) talk about it.

4175TB4QANL._SS500_.jpg

I'm glad there are others like me. It's probably one of my top ten albums of all time. Anyone who digs Springsteen's Nebraska should definitely pick it up.

Bob Dylan - "New Morning"

I've learned never to call anything underrated, but I like this album more than most people seem to. I would put it much higher in my personal ranking of Dylan's best albums than most people do. I love his singing voice on this one. I like the down home feel. I like the simple lyrics. There is nothing I don't like about this album.

Great call ... I love this album. If Dogs Run Free.

Great record! I'll go down as saying it's better than Plastic Ono Band and All Things Must Pass. I said it!

Ick.

also I would like to throw out there Swamp Ophelia by The Indigo Girls.........the harmonies and beauty of the songs on there is amazing.........also to me

I think they're great songwriters, and the harmonies, but more importantly is the production on this album. There's depth to songs that wouldn't otherwise be there. But an excellent choice.

My 3 year old learned the words to "Least Complicated" and would sing them at the top of her lungs. For some reason she referred to it as the "sister song"

Pretty much every Porcupine Tree album (except Fear of a Blank Planet, cause the critics loved it & talked about it)

Mark Lanegan's Field Songs

Soulsaver's It's not how far you fall, it's how you land.

Hell, pretty much anything Mark Lanegan is amazing but lost in the shadows and appreciated by the people who know & care.

Pure Reason Revolution's The Dark Third

Dangermouse and Jemini - Ghetto Pop Life It kind of got lost in the glory of all Dangermouse's other projects ala Gnarls Barkley & Dangerdoom.

John Phillips (of the Mamas and the Papas) - The Wolf King of L.A.

This is so freakin' awesome! "Let It Bleed, Genevieve" is a fantastic tune. I can't believe more people don't go around praising this album. I'm probably going to post it on my blog tomorrow (not the blog in my sig, my other blog.)

ah, well i wrote this piece of guff a while back - and it's in my list of 10 'lost' classics from the 1970s - so some people like it (well, me). so, i'll include that ten on that list of for my underrated choices, and add:

iixii by the cowsills (actually maybe not, but people should at least know they're not a one hit wonder)

the texas / jerusalem crossroads by lift to experience

simple pleaures by the tindersticks

the super furry animals in general (simply because they should be concidered at least as good as radiohead - as they are just as inovative - & certainly better known than oasis - as their songs are far more catchy, but they aren't)

edit: shit! i've already said most this on page 2 - i can't remember doing that, it was so long ago. anyway, i've said it all again now.

Don't know if this has been mentioned but I always thought Ryan Adam's Jacksonville City Nights was pretty freaking stellar and never got the attention it deserved... probably cause it was so country.

Local H - Pack up the Cats

Stone Temple Pilots - Shangri La Dee Da

NIN - With Teeth

Great Lake Swimmers - Ongiara

Okkervil River - Down the River of Golden Dreams

Silverchair - Diorama

Toadies - Hell Belove Stars Above

Two Gallants - What the Toll Tells

The Wallflowers - Rebel, Sweetheart

Okkervil River - Down the River of Golden Dreams

:worship

YES!!! Great choice. "Yellow" has got to be one of the all-time great songs about divorce.

I'll add these to what others have written...

anything and everything by The Mendoza Line (a criminally underrated band in my humble opinion; Tim Bracy deserves far more credit than he receives)

REM- Up

Pearl Jam- Riot Act

Buck Pets- Mercurochrome

Smudge- Manilow and Tea, Toast and Turmoil (these guys did the Lemonheads sound better than the Lemonheads)

anything and everything by Beatnik Filmstars (the British Guided by Voices, with a bit of The Fall and Wire thrown in too)

Son Volt- Wide Swing Tremelo

Dylan- Shot of Love

Soul Asylum- And the Horse They Rode In On (not as good as Hang Time, but still darn good)

Wire- the stuff they did in the mid/late 80's (e.g., A Bell Is a Cup Until It's Struck)

Nuisance- Confusion Hill and Sunny Side Up (a countrified version of Jawbreaker; Uncle Tupelo and Lucero fans should love these guys)

Smudge- Manilow and Tea, Toast and Turmoil (these guys did the Lemonheads sound better than the Lemonheads)

wow, smudge ... not sure they're under-rated because i'm not sure they're even rated ... but they are great ...

anything and everything by Beatnik Filmstars (the British Guided by Voices

i thought guided by voices is the british guided by voices!

0007567827882_500X500.jpg

Yeah.

I loved that album as a kid. I should pick it back up and give it another listen.

Hey.. when your backing band is basically Booker T. & The MGs, it's hard to go wrong.

Also, I can't understand why there's so much hatin' on this record:

trompe.jpg

It's a lot better than Bossanova, and hell, just a great record.

Excerpts From a Love Circus - Lisa Germano

Geek the Girl - Lisa Germano

Happiness- Lisa Germano

Slush - OP8

Songs for Dustmites - Steve Burns

The Day They Shot a Hole in the Jesus Egg - Flaming Lips

The Hill - Richard Buckner

Because We Hate You - The Young Fresh Fellows

Vauxhall and I - Morrissey

Loose - Victoria Williams

Altered Beast - Matthew Sweet

Sparkle and Fade - Everclear

I forgot about this one:

2995224128a00024376c3010._AA240_.L.jpg

Just a great record. It's overshadowed by Tantilla, but I think that Cakewalk is better. "Never" and "Ants" get me going every time. And "Rocking Chair" is just a perfect little song.

RIP Bryan Harvey.

:(

Weezer - The Red Album

Stop kidding yourself!

I think the album's hilarious. I can't believe all of the hate. It's nothing amazing, but it's still funny and doesn't deserve all of the bashing it gets from weezer "fans" and critics.

anything and everything by The Mendoza Line (a criminally underrated band in my humble opinion; Tim Bracy deserves far more credit than he receives)

Amen, dude.

Also, I can't understand why there's so much hatin' on this record:

trompe.jpg

It's a lot better than Bossanova, and hell, just a great record.

Agreed! Umass, Title track, Head On, and many more all rock! I do agree that it lacks for Kim's backup vocals, but it is a terrific album.

I have to mention my favorite record of all time, because if it's not your favorite, you have it highly underrated!!

Workbook - Bob Mould

f55625n0jlc.jpg

The poster above got the wrong REM album - New Adventures in Hi-Fi is the criminally underrated member of the REM discography. This was the last album with Bill Berry on board, and it also totally vindicates the artistic direction they had taken on Monster by incorporating the best elements of the glam-rock/celebrity culture skewering themes into the broader REM palette.