Underrated Records

Sound of Lies

This wonderful post on the Jayhawks' Sound of Lies on the Aquarium Drunkard blog got me to thinking about underrated records. They can be from artists who are well-known, obscure, and everything in between. I thought it might be interesting to start a thread where people can talk about records that they think are very underrated. Post links, MP3s, and whatever else you want in an attempt to interest people in your choice(s).

I'll start by talking about Public Image LTD's Flowers of Romance. Released after the post-punk classic, Metal Box, it was a major left turn for the band. Jah Wobble had been booted from the band leaving Lydon, Keith Levene, and drummer, Martin Atkins, to record the album. Instead of the searing guitars and throbbing bass of MB, the band chose to build the songs around thunderous drums and Lydon's distinctive wail. The results make for a difficult but very rewarding listen. The record tanked and Levene left the band, essentially closing the book on the first lineup of P.I.L. Listening to the record today, it's apparent that the band was way ahead of their time with the songs on this LP.

Links:

All Music Entry

Amazon Entry

Amazon listing contains samples and copies are available for as little as $6.63 used and new.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sound of Lies

This wonderful post on the Jayhawks' Sound of Lies on the Aquarium Drunkard blog got me to thinking about underrated records. They can be from artists who are well-known, obscure, and everything in between. I thought it might be interesting to start a thread where people can talk about records that they think are very underrated. Post links, MP3s, and whatever else you want in an attempt to interest people in your choice(s).

I'll start by talking about Public Image LTD's Flowers of Romance. Released after the post-punk classic, Metal Box, it was a major left turn for the band. Jah Wobble had been booted from the band leaving Lydon, Keith Levene, and drummer, Martin Atkins, to record the album. Instead of the searing guitars and throbbing bass of MB, the band chose to build the songs around thunderous drums and Lydon's distinctive wail. The results make for a difficult but very rewarding listen. The record tanked and Levene left the band, essentially closing the book on the first lineup of P.I.L. Listening to the record today, it's apparent that the band was way ahead of their time with the songs on this LP.

Links:

All Music Entry

Amazon Entry

Amazon listing contains samples and copies are available for as little as $6.63 used and new.

I always thought 'sound of lies' was unjustly panned, still listen to that record to this day.

George Harrison- Living in the material world

I've read some negative reviews, for one it followed up all things must pass, so expectations must have been pretty high. Also, it was thought to be a little heavy handed with the spiritualism , and I admit to not liking 'the light that has lighted the world' for that reason, but love every other tune, especially ' don't let me wait to long', 'who can see it', and 'be here now'

Sound of Lies

I [heart] Sound of Lies. My favorite Jayhawks record. Obviously Wilco has proven that good music doesn't always require tough times and struggles. But those sorts of emotions can produce some wonderful music as well, as in the case of SoL. I'd also nominate their subsequent album, Smile, as underrated as well. It's not the classic Jayhawks twangy sound, but I always love listening to it. (I'm sure that's heresy to some people.)

Re: Flowers of Romance, I remember reading that Glenn said he was listening to that record a lot when he recorded YHF and specifically, I Am Trying To Break Your Heart. Here's the quote: "I was listening to 'Flowers of Romance,' by Public Image Ltd., and Martin Atkins' drum parts on that, which are just incredible, all sloppy and disjointed. I ran back to the drums and started playing some patterns and Jeff was like, 'that, don't change that.'" (Edit: It was from a story on Glenn in Signal To Noise magazine. You can read the whole thing here.)

I [heart] Sound of Lies. My favorite Jayhawks record. Obviously Wilco has proven that good music doesn't always require tough times and struggles. But those sorts of emotions can produce some wonderful music as well, as in the case of SoL. I'd also nominate their subsequent album, Smile, as underrated as well. It's not the classic Jayhawks twangy sound, but I always love listening to it. (I'm sure that's heresy to some people.)

I'm quoting, because Paul and I have had this conversation many times, and I agree 100%. sound of Lies is my favorite Jayhawks album.

Every album by The Church

Sonic Youth-NYC Flowers and Ghosts

Neil Young-Silver and Gold

Lucinda Williams-West

Wilco-A Ghost is Born

Led Zep-Presence

Aimee Mann-Lost in Space

Ryan Adams-Jacksonville City Nights

Rolling Stones-Emotional Rescue

Fleetwood Mac-Tusk

Sonic Youth-NYC Flowers and Ghosts

I agree on that one. Very poetic! I also think Experimental Jet Set was way underrated. It had "Bull in the Heather" but there's so much more going on on that album than just that one track.

Define "Underrated".

Do you mean just "under-heard" or albums you think are great that the critics have panned or that have had more influence than is being recognized?

I mean, the 1970 self-titled debut from Emmitt Rhodes was critically praised, but ain't many folks heard it. But it would certainly qualify under the initial criteria I listed.

Also, how many of you here think of Ike Turner as anything more than a wife-beater? He was one of the original architects of rock n' roll, after all.

And for albums that are unfairly slagged: Led Zeppelin - In Through the Out Door is a great pop record. Period. May not be what most folks wanted to hear from Zep, but had any other band put it out, everyone would be drooling all over it. Great album. Period.

Bob Dylan - "New Morning"

I've learned never to call anything underrated, but I like this album more than most people seem to. I would put it much higher in my personal ranking of Dylan's best albums than most people do. I love his singing voice on this one. I like the down home feel. I like the simple lyrics. There is nothing I don't like about this album.

I've learned never to call anything underrated, but I like this album more than most people seem to. I would put it much higher in my personal ranking of Dylan's best albums than most people do. I love his singing voice on this one. I like the down home feel. I like the simple lyrics. There is nothing I don't like about this album.

When it comes to Dylan, that's how I feel about Nashville Skyline.

Definition:

give too low assessment of: to judge the value, degree, or worth of somebody or something to be less than it really is

In context, smartass.

:stunned

And thank you for what you actually meant.

Yeah, the Led Zep one definitely qualifies, IMO.

Guest Golyadkin

Off the top of my head:

Blind Melon - Soup

Black Crowes - Amorica

Tindersticks - Can Our Love...

Cee Lo Green - And His Perfect Imperfections

Yo La Tengo - Two Hearts Beating as One

KIDS - Movie Soundtrack

Pink Floyd - Meddle

Gomez - In Our Gun

Tom Waits - Blue Valentine

David Bowie-Hours Tom Petty-Echo Bob Dylan-Planet Waves Peter Gabriel-Up Talking Heads-Naked The Clash-Sandinista
yep
Off the top of my head:Blind Melon - Soup Black Crowes - Amorica Cee Lo Green - And His Perfect Imperfections Pink Floyd - Meddle
yep ... my wife would argue with Soup but I think it's awesome.
Guest Golyadkin
Did you mean I Can Hear The Heart Beating As One? Or is this an album that I have not heard of? In which case, it's really underrated.

oh man... yup that is the one...

Sorry about that, Doug was reading them off to me as I typed.

best hangover album ever! :beer

The Boo Radleys - Kingsize

Their swansong is also a much better BritPop record than the critics would lead you to believe.

I agree with most so far...

Marah-Kids in Philly -IMO, one of the more interesting rock records in the past few years

If anything that record is OVER-rated, haven't been more disappointed in a record after someone recommending it to me.

As for my choice, there's plenty to mention but one that always sticks:

Mark Hollis' self-titled solo album is criminally under heard and has slipped under the radar and disappeared into obscurity.