Underrated Records

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always thought 'sound of lies' was unjustly panned, still listen to that record to this day.

George Harrison- Living in the material world

I've read some negative reviews, for one it followed up all things must pass, so expectations must have been pretty high. Also, it was thought to be a little heavy handed with the spiritualism , and I admit to not liking 'the light that has lighted the world' for that reason, but love every other tune, especially ' don't let me wait to long', 'who can see it', and 'be here now'

Completely agree on Living in the Material World. It's tough to follow up All Things Must Pass but this is a nice little record. "Don't Let Me Wait Too Long" is one of my favorite Harrison songs, and an underrated one at that. I love the wall of acoustic guitars. I always thought Wilco would do a nice cover of that tune.

Chris Hillman's contributions to his groups has always been underrated in my opinion.

Velvet Goldmine soundtrack is underrated. A great combination of vintage cuts with new cuts that fit in perfectly with the older tunes.

Raul Malo's first solo CD. Great mix of latin/country/ballads. Malo is underrated in general. He is probably the best singer around today and I'm sure he'll have a monster hit someday and all the moms and grandmas will fill his specially designed Raul Malo theater built especially for him in Las Vegas.

The Raspberries - Go All the Way What a great track that is criminally left off classic rock playlists too often.

Bruce Cockburn - Dancing In The Dragon's Jaws

One of the best albums of the 70s, largely unheard in the States.

Peter Gabriel - Peter Gabriel 3: Melt

Avant garde fans think it's too pop, and pop fans think it's too avant garde. I think it's great.

Rosanne Cash - Ten Song Demo

One of these songs came up on my iPod yesterday, and today I have to listen to the whole thing. Essential, mournful Rosanne.

Roxy Music - Country Life

I don't know, this might be their best album overall, even though my favorite Roxy tracks are scattered elsewhere.

Sin

Pink Floyd - Meddle

My favourite Floyd album. All killer - but the part when the mega-funky organ/bass/drums adult movie soundtrack combo kicks in (a staple of the earlier Floyd sound) on Echoes steals it for me.

Super Furry Animals - Mwng

The bounciest, giddiest elf-rock you'd ever care to hear (the sunny, irresistible guitar riff from "Dacw Hi" is like something left off of Abbey Road) is mixed in with somber, druid-like orchestral pop ("Sarn Helen" has a haunting, almost desolate build into an incantatory, spacious place. Cathedral rock!) It's ethereal and effervescent, and I have no idea what they're singing about. Maybe the Welsh keeps this album from receiving the recognition it deserves- some of the most lucidly phrased melodies in the entire SFA catalog.

Beta Band : 'From Heroes to Zeroes'. I think a lot of critics thought, by this point. they were just going through the motions but there's not a duff track on it. It creates and sustains a mood brilliantly all record and has some of their best and most affecting songs. I don't know if it is underrated but Neil Young's "On the Beach" is my favourite album by him.

Roxy Music - Country Life

I don't know, this might be their best album overall, even though my favorite Roxy tracks are scattered elsewhere.

Missing Persons - Spring Session M

Early 80s New Wave bliss. All Zappa alumni, and man, they could play.

I was weaned on "Country Life". Fantastic record. Of course there's always the 'greatest LP cover ever' thing too. :worship

Spring Session M defines the whole L.A. New-Wave aesthetic for me. It shocked the hell out of me when this came out - considering the people involved.

Guest Golyadkin
My favourite Floyd album. All killer - but the part when the mega-funky organ/bass/drums adult movie soundtrack combo kicks in (a staple of the earlier Floyd sound) on Echoes steals it for me.

No doubt dude.... No doubt.

Kind of like.... I don't know... the "You Are My Face" jam? If that is not early Floyd I don't know what is...

Oh you can thank Doug for that one.

Pink Floyd - Meddle

I love this album but I always thought this album got alot of credit. It is a classic Pink Floyd album and always ranked high on people's list. I always saw this album as high profile.

For underrated,

I like Izzy Stradlin and the JuJu Hounds self title album. Has that old Stones Exile feel.

Also The Frames albums underrated.

21QQ1DKBSHL._SS500_.jpg

Kingston Trio - ST/Live at the hungry i

Self-titled debut paired with their follow-up live album. Yeah, we all know about Tom Dooley, but there's more to it than that. Maybe for me there is because I grew up on this, with my super KT fan dad spinning the original vinyl on a regular basis. Their live show is far funnier than you'd imagine. After spending 39 years with this album I even have the between-song banter memorized. The song Gue Gue on the live album (a french lullaby) is the first song I sang to my twins in the hospital - just the way I always imagined doing ever since I could imagine having kids one day.

EDIT: Sorry about the picture. Amazon's shot was crap.

I love this album but I always thought this album got alot of credit. It is a classic Pink Floyd album and always ranked high on people's list. I always saw this album as high profile.

For underrated,

I like Izzy Stradlin and the JuJu Hounds self title album. Has that old Stones Exile feel.

Also The Frames albums underrated.

Obscured By Clouds is quite underrated... their following one seems to have stolen the limelight

Obscured By Clouds is quite underrated... their following one seems to have stolen the limelight

Do you have any shows with OBC on it? Evidently that tune used to open their shows back then sometimes.

Grant Lee Buffalo: Might Joe Moon. - The song Mockingbirds is one of the most beautiful songs I have ever heard. Almost every musician has had a moment in their life where they heard a band or a song and something inside of them clicked and they thought "That's what I want to do for the rest of my life". Mockingbirds was my moment. Grant Lee Phillips' voice is haunting and he is my favorite vocalist. Like a lot of other bands at that time, GLB came out right as grunge hit and didn't have enough of a mainstream sound for that movement.

Natalie Merchant: Tigerlily - This album garnered a little attention because it was her first after leaving 10,000 Maniacs, but she never got the credit due her for her songwriting abilities. Not to mention that she has one of the best female singing voices I have ever heard. A lot of people don't like her voice, saying it is a bit weird, but I love it.

Red Hot Chilli Peppers : Stadium Arcadium - Yes this album might have had a couple of hits off of it and I'm not sure if they are done releasing singles off ot or not, but if you sat down and listened to both discs of material you would be amazed at the amount of truly phenomenal material. Most double albums could have maybe one or 2 songs off of each disc that could be considered truly great songs. Between the 27 tracks on both discs combined there is probably 13 or 14 of them that give me chills (no pun intended) every time I listen to them. Not to mention the fact that John Frusciante, in my very humble opinion, is the closest thing to Jimi Hendrix that this generation has to offer. A lot of people say that his playing isn't technical enough or that he plays too sloppy. That may be true but he can play a single note and bring your entire universe crashing to the ground. Only the true great guitar players have that ability.

I'm quoting, because Paul and I have had this conversation many times, and I agree 100%. sound of Lies is my favorite Jayhawks album.

I went back to this album just recently and was thinking, "I can't believe this never got more love." And now this thread, with this disc mentioned multiple times? It's getting love somewhere! :music I prefer the post-Olson Jayhawks sound; I choose Sound of Lies for a full-disc listen more than any other Jayhawks' album.

I've actually just written an article about 10 albums from the 1970s I feel are underrated (not heard by enough people) for Twisted Ear. The link is here You can stream one track from each album too.

That's a cool piece. Thanks for sharing. I've got the John Phillips record, but I'll definitely be on the look out for some of the others.

I'll add a few, some more recent than others.--

Eleventh Dream Day -- El Moodio

Paul Burch -- Last of My Kind

Baptist Generals -- No Silver/No Gold

Damien Jurado -- Where Shall You Take Me?

Freakwater -- Old Paint

The Geraldine Fibbers -- Lost Somewhere Between the Earth and My Home

The Gourds -- Dem's Good Beeble, Ghosts of Hallelujah and Cow, Fish, Fowl or Pig

Jim White -- Drill A Hole in That Substrate...

Lift to Experience -- The Texas/Jerusalem Crossroads

Pleasant Grove -- Auscultation of the Heart

The Star Room Boys --Why Do Lonely Men and Women Break Eachother's Hearts?

Sun Kil Moon -- Ghosts of the Great Highway

The Volebeats -- Sky and the Ocean