Kronos Quartet with Glenn Kotche

I'm going to try to keep this short because I really have no business reporting on this topic.

Last night, the Kronos Quartet premiered an original piece, "Anomaly" (in seven movements), composed by Glenn Kotche. I lack the vocabulary to adequately describe the piece, but as a Wilco fan, I can say that it incorporates a lot of the elements we've heard from Glenn's work, both solo and with Wilco, as well as his other side projects. The piece started off with the quartet using unusual noisemakers, twirling, hitting, or caressing them to coax out the sounds. But as the piece progressed, Glenn joined in, and we heard some more familiar elements: namely, some rock and pop elements, but also a lot of delicate stringwork while Glenn sat back and listened in for his cues. This gross generalization does it no justice, of course, but overall, it was very cool to hear what else Glenn can do outside of the day job. And this work will reportedly make its way to Chicago and New York eventually, so I hope others get to hear it.

Also, this was the first time I've seen Kronos Quartet, and I could see where they earned their stellar reputation. Glenn's work was actually the last piece of a 2-hour set that also featured two other young composers as well as original material and some classics. Not being familiar with jazz, I was most delighted by their cross-genre forays, such as their version of "Marquee Moon" or a Raymond Scott piece that reminded me of all the Bugs Bunny cartoons I've watched over the years. My favorite: a work by John Zorn that required the quartet to mostly swat at the air with their bows.

I would like to have been at the Bridge School Benefit and seen Tom Waits set with the Kronos Quartet. The live version of "Way Down in the Hole" from Healing the Divide is amazing.

On the subject of Glenn Kotche, does anyone else remember all the additional percussion instruments he would play, in addition to the drum kit? I well recall being absolutely mesmerized while watching him play all kinds of instruments at the 9:30 Club shows back in 2002. I couldn't dare name them all, but he was adding layer upon layer of percussion that was incredible to see and hear. I was in the balcony both nights back in Oct, 2005.

cheers,

b.s.

On the subject of Glenn Kotche, does anyone else remember all the additional percussion instruments he would play, in addition to the drum kit? I well recall being absolutely mesmerized while watching him play all kinds of instruments at the 9:30 Club shows back in 2002. I couldn't dare name them all, but he was adding layer upon layer of percussion that was incredible to see and hear.

There's some info on Glenn's site about his Wilco kit.

This just showcases the rising popularity of not only Wilco but Glenn Kotche :thumbup

Kronos Quartet is probably one of the most well known quartets, their lineup has changed tons of time but it's always been a spectacular quartet.

The soundtrack Kronos Quartet did for "Requiem For A Dream" added so much to a paralyzingly intense film.

Glenn of course is one of the best. I always look forward to watching him play. It doesn't surprise when he collects accolades such as playing with other fine musicians.

I'm not really a big Tom Waits fan but when I saw he was playing The Bridge School with Kronos I came very close to a plane ride. B)