Discuss: "We're the 49ers" is a better song than "Super Bowl Shuffle"

I've always thought he was slightly overrated, inasmuch as he benefitted alot from having the greatest reciever of all time to throw to. He was great, but my bias as a Dolphins fan will not allow me to say anyone but Marino as the greatest.

That's cool man. I'm biased for Joe just because I got to see him at ND a number of times when I was a ute.

I'm gonna enrage Aricandover here and say if it wasn't for the Steelers having possibly the greatest defense to ever walk the Earth Bradshaw would be lucky to have 1 SB ring.

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's cool man. I'm biased for Joe just because I got to see him at ND a number of times when I was a ute.

I'm gonna enrage Aricandover here and say if it wasn't for the Steelers having possibly the greatest defense to ever walk the Earth Bradshaw would be lucky to have 1 SB ring.

I felt scared including Bradshaw in my list of QB's who aren't all that good but won rings. I thought I would catch flack for that one.

That group of guys would have been championship material with Terry Hanratty OR even Joe Gilliam taking the snaps. I wish you could have seen how awesome they were. I don't think there's any defense you could even compare it to anymore.

edit: Now I'm sounding like my dad.

Shula's got a point in asmuch as people want Bonds to have one, the Pats are just at tainted this year. Maybe more so since they were actually caught cheating and punished. I'm not saying it's the reason they are undefeated, just as I won't say roids are the reason Bonds broke the record. There is no proof one way or the other what affect they had.

Shula's got a point in asmuch as people want Bonds to have one, the Pats are just at tainted this year. Maybe more so since they were actually caught cheating and punished. I'm not saying it's the reason they are undefeated, just as I won't say roids are the reason Bonds broke the record. There is no proof one way or the other what affect they had.

Astericks are stupid. The whole idea of it.

Shula's got a point in asmuch as people want Bonds to have one, the Pats are just at tainted this year.

Really? The whole "Spygate" thing happened in the first quarter of the Patriots' first game of the season, one they were going to win regardless of any videotaping. Does that really warrant an asterisk, or even a jaundiced eye at what the Patriots have accomplished so far this year?

If they'd been caught four or five games into the season, maybe I'd agree that they're "just as tainted." But not even one full quarter? Come on. Take away that quarter, and they still beat the Jets 31-14 that day.

On this subject, there's a great column this morning on SI.com, looking at what ESPN's David Fleming called "the most classless tradition in sports":

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Put a cork in it

Time for '72 Dolphins to drop champagne, accept Pats

by Phil Taylor, SI.com

Posted: Wednesday November 7, 2007 1:37PM; Updated: Wednesday November 7, 2007 4:52PM

Here they come again, the NFL's grumpy old men, tarnishing their legend a little more each time they grumble about another team's attempt to fashion a similar piece of history. The 1972 Miami Dolphins will forever be remembered as the first NFL team to achieve an undefeated season, but for some Dolphins it has always seemed that being the first is not enough. They desperately want to remain the "only."

Every few years, when a team survives the first half of the year unbeaten and the possibility of a perfect season becomes more real, those old Dolphins do everything but stick pins in voodoo dolls, hoping that the undefeated team falls. The New England Patriots, 9-0 and looking invulnerable, are the latest challenger to the Dolphins' status as the only perfect team in league history, and here, like clockwork, comes former Dolphin coach Don Shula, sending bad karma New England's way.

Even if the Patriots do finish undefeated, according to Shula, their achievement should be marked with an asterisk in the record books because of the Week 1 spying incident against the Jets, for which the team and Pats coach Bill Belichick paid heavy penalties. "The Spygate thing has diminished what they've accomplished," Shula told the New York Daily News earlier this week. "Belichick was fined $500,000, the team was fined $250,00 and they lost a first-round draft choice. That tells you the seriousness or significance of what they found. I guess you got the same thing as putting an asterisk by Barry Bonds' home run record."

At least this is a new approach for the members of '72 team. Usually they simply hope and pray that their challenger loses, then engage in graceless celebration when it inevitably happens. When San Diego beat the 11-0 Colts in 2005, Dick Anderson, a safety from the '72 Dolphins, sent the Chargers a case of Dom Perignon as a thank you. Anderson and his neighbor Nick Buoniconti, a former Miami linebacker, get together and open a bottle of champagne each year when the last undefeated team loses. When it comes to protecting their legacy, the old Fish are not a classy bunch.

For tips on how a record-holder is supposed to act, they would be wise to take a look at how Henry Aaron congratulated Bonds for breaking his home run record, or the good cheer with which another ex-Dolphin, Dan Marino, watched Brett Favre break his record for career touchdown passes earlier this season.

What the '72 team fails to realize is that a second undefeated season wouldn't diminish the first. When a record is challenged, it usually reinforces the magnitude of the original accomplishment. But it's getting harder to appreciate how beautiful the Dolphins were to watch in 1972 without thinking about how ugly some of them are to listen to in 2007.

In the case of the Patriots, Shula's contention is a stretch. New England was found to have broken the rules in the first half of the first game against the Jets, a team the Patriots could have crushed without any illegal help. Even the Jets themselves would probably admit that the filming of their signs didn't change the outcome of the game.

Since then, there has been no indication that the Pats have done anything shady. There would be a better argument for putting an asterisk next to their accomplishments from past seasons, when they might well have been illegally filiming, than for questioning the other eight wins of this season.

But even if Shula had a point about Belichick's rule-breaking, he would have been wiser, and classier, to let some other less biased observer make that point. By speaking out himself, he comes off as desperate to keep the Pats from stepping up onto the same pedestal as his team.

Some of the Dolphins insist that they aren't as protective of their perfect team status as it sounds. They are not, according to former tight end Jim Mandich, "pathetic losers down here clinking champagne glasses and desperately clinging to a record set 35 years ago."

Funny, that's exactly what they seem to be doing. The old Dolphins seem to be quite fond of the bubbly, but for their own sake, they should stick a cork in it.

Really? The whole "Spygate" thing happened in the first quarter of the Patriots' first game of the season, one they were going to win regardless of any videotaping. Does that really warrant an asterisk, or even a jaundiced eye at what the Patriots have accomplished so far this year?

If they'd been caught four or five games into the season, maybe I'd agree that they're "just as tainted." But not even one full quarter? Come on. Take away that quarter, and they still beat the Jets 31-14 that day.

Yeah I agree, Pats cheated but I dont see how what they did had much effect on anything. It was just a horrible idea by the coach and they should get punished for doing it, but by no means would did it change anything.

It's not like the guy called a press conference about it to say this. Someone asked him, and he gave a candid response.

"The Spygate thing has diminished what they've accomplished. You would hate to have that attached to your accomplishments. They've got it. Belichick was fined $500,000, the team was fined $250,00 and they lost a first-round draft choice. That tells you the seriousness or significance of what they found. I guess you got the same thing as putting an asterisk by Barry Bonds' home run record. I guess it will be noted that the Patriots were fined and a No.1 draft choice was taken away during that year of accomplishment. The sad thing is Tom Brady looks so good, it doesn't look like he needs any help."

Man, sounds like really sour grapes to me :jerkit

And my whole point was that he's got a point re: Barry Bonds. If people want an asterisk next to him, why not one next to the Pats? They've were actually caught cheating, and had been accused of doing so for years. I don't think either accomplishment should have anything next to it, (just as I don't think the HoF should accept the 755 ball with an asterisk on it) but if people wants Bonds, someone who has never been caught and never had anything proven, to have one, the Pats should have one, and anyone else who has done anything and ever been accused of anything.

Shula told ESPN's "Mike and Mike in the Morning" on Thursday that if the Patriots finish with a perfect record to match that of his 1972 Dolphins, then there "shouldn't be any attachment to it," referring to a possible asterisk next to New England's name in the record books.

"If they run the table, and they win all the games, then they are doing it within the rules of the National Football League," Shula said. "And there shouldn't be any asterisk to it. That would be the accomplishment that they made. It would be the best in all of sports."

Shula also said if New England can finish the season with an unblemished record, the Patriots "will deserve to be called the best team."

Shula

indeed!

I think the Titans have a real shot at winning the division. The Colts I think will lose 2 more games this season. The division title could come down to the last game of the season. I also think the Titans could be a threat to the Patriots*. A big game like that VY would run all day. Which is good because he has a rag arm.