A new MY BLOODY VALENTINE record!!!

Looks like this Kevin Shields fellow is a man of his word' date=' huh? In the January/February 2007 issue of Magnet magazine, as previously reported, Shields promised that some band he's part of called My Bloody Valentine were "100% going to make another...record unless we die or something."

Today comes word that Shields wasn't just pulling our whammy bars, as the Vice-associated (UPDATE: Not associated, just good friends) Daily Swarm has revealed bits from a interview with Shields-- set to air on a forthcoming episode of Vice's vbs.tv program "Soft Focus"-- in which the shoegaze godfather and fanclub president* confirms that the new album is being made, and what's more, it's supposed to come out this year.

Speaking to "Soft Focus" host and DC scene mainstay Ian Svenonius, here's Kevin: "We were making a record in the 90s, around when the band broke up in 1995...and I continued with Bilinda [butcher, guitarist/vocalist']. We kinda made...most of an album...

"[The new album is] going to be this 96/97 half-finished record finished, and then a compilation of stuff we did before that in 1993

Ride/Catherine Wheel>MBV

Maybe for the complete discography, but neither band has done anything close to approaching the brilliance of Loveless.

i so do not get all the love for Loveless musically...

it seems like this mythical record these days

Only Shallow is amazing, i'll give you that, but on the whole i just find it to be a good but not amazing record.

i so do not get all the love for Loveless musically...

it seems like this mythical record these days

Only Shallow is amazing, i'll give you that, but on the whole i just find it to be a good but not amazing record.

I was with you on that for many years. Then, one day, it hit me like a ton of bricks and I didn't even realize it until the record had ended, I was so lost in it all. Keep listening. If and when it does hit you, you will know.

It seems like we've been hearing this for years, but just like with the possible Neutral Milk Hotel "mythical" follow up album, I'd be ecstatic if it were true. If it sounds anything like "City Girl" from Lost in Translation or even a further expansion on Loveless, I'm sure I'll love it.

--Mike

I was with you on that for many years. Then, one day, it hit me like a ton of bricks and I didn't even realize it until the record had ended, I was so lost in it all. Keep listening. If and when it does hit you, you will know.

Yeah, when Loveless finally hits, it hits hard.

i've tried dozens and dozens of times since the mid 90's...

i mean i LIKE it... i like it a good deal, but to me it's a solid 8-8.5 album, not a 10 like most people seem to think. and for the millions spent to make the album, it could sound better imo.

http://www.shaviro.com/Doom/ch03.html

interesting read from MBV-Loveless tour days. a little over-the-top (the writer admits at the end he's being doing it stoned and drunk), but it hits on a lot of the key points that made MBV's live shows so legendary. there's another interesting article that i read a couple months back that actually describes the biological effects of the overwhelming noise-tactics they used; i'll see if i can track it down.

Perhaps, unsurprisingly, the UK dates sold out rather quickly. But they've added some new ones:

Saturday 21st June - London - The Roundhouse

Sunday 22nd June - London - The Roundhouse

Sunday 29th June - Manchester - Apollo

Thursday 3rd July - Glasgow - Barrowlands

Plus, I wouldn't rule out a slot at the "ATP v P4K" ATP festival and Glasto...

ok, apparently that above link didn't work. i'm gonna copy-paste it into my post here. my apologies in advance--it is really lengthy, but what he has to say really meshes with my feelings about the album, even if it is all over the map. here goes...

3.BILINDA BUTCHER

by Steven Shaviro

Not this year, according to Billboard as quoted in Pitchfork.

Perhaps inspired by the success of the whole In Rainbows thing, My Bloody Valentine plan to go the digital self-release route when they issue their follow-up to 1991's Loveless. As MBV manager Vinita Joshi told Billboard.com late last week, the newly re-formed band will hit the studio in December to resume long-dormant sessions for the forthcoming LP. They're mulling over a possible accompanying vinyl release as well, and they don't intend to use the Radiohead pricing model, according to Joshi.

Of course, if they're hitting the studio next month, that means the disc can probably be expected in 2008, and not before the end of the year, as Kevin Shields has claimed. Hey, better that than an endless parade of "eventually", amirite?

Joshi also put to rest all those Coachella 2008 rumors for now, remarking that "we'll see how the summer shows go first." Since said summer shows occur after Coachella 2008, um, yeah. The band has added yet another gig at London's Roundhouse in the middle of their all too brief return to the stage.

MBV:

06-20 London, England - The Roundhouse

06-21 London, England - The Roundhouse

06-22 London, England - The Roundhouse

06-23 London, England - The Roundhouse

06-28 Manchester, England - Apollo

06-29 Manchester, England - Apollo

07-02 Glasgow, Scotland - Barrowland

07-03 Glasgow, Scotland - Barrowland