Dublin 14 Nov 07

Just back from an amazing gig!

Dont have the setlist but they opened with Sunken Treasure and then played Remember the Mountain Bed which was great. Other not so regular songs included Muzzle of Bees and best of all Pot Kettle Black.

Jeff seemed in great form and told about how he went on the Bloom walk in Dublin today.

A friend of mine met him shopping in Tower Records last Monday, so they've been here all week it seems.

During Spiders and HMD Nels and Mikael were throwing soft toys and stuff at Glenn and at the end Pat was throwing his maracas into the air and catching them. Nels guitar boke and Jeff commented "that sounded so bad I thought it was me, I was looking down to see what i'd done".

A bad joke from Jeff(What does Irish bean stew only have 239 beans in it ? Because it would be 240!(needs to be said in an Irish accent to get it))

There was a flag on stage with "Wilco- Sky Blue Sky" written on it in Irish, jeff didit know what it meant and was asking "does this say Wilco suck ?"

All in all a great night and the band seemed to really enjoy themselves.

Now for tomorrow night !

Remember the Mountain Bed

:wub

Muzzle of Bees

the Bloom walk in Dublin

There was a flag on stage with "Wilco- Sky Blue Sky" written on it in Irish, jeff didit know what it meant and was asking "does this say Wilco suck ?"

Nice! Do you remember what the Irish translation was?

Sounds like good fun. Can't wait for the tape! :music

Just got back. Yeah - amazing gig. The new album got a great outing, though hopefully we'll get What Light and ...Patient... tomorrow. Impossible Germany was great.

Plenty of tunes from YHF and a final salvo from Being There (Red Eyed and Blue, End of the Century and Outtasite) closed the show.

Great to hear War on War and Hummingbird. Shot in the Arm was pretty awesome as was Spiders, of course.

Right! Some sleep, I think....

I took setlist from stage...so, some songs scheduled on setlist didn't appeared on show...

(sorry for my english, i'm italian!)

SUNKEN T

MOUNTAIN

MUZZLE

FACE

WAR

HEART

POT KETTLE

HANDSHAKE

SEEDS

RADIO CURE

IMPOSSIBLE

SKY BLUE SKY

WALKEN

I'M THE MAN

HUMMINGBIRD

SHOT

POOR PLACES

SPIDERS

VIA CHICAGO

JESUS

HATE IT HERE

HMD

RED EYED

OUTTASITE

oh, they played California Stars in the encore too.

Froggie, the joke is "why is there only 239 beans in Irish stew.... cos one more would be 240 (2-far.ty)"

The Irish on the flag said: "Wilco: dath gorm na speire".... sorta means "sky blue colour"

E.

Wow, I'm not sure how they are going to top that one tonight; although Via Chicago and Theologians might get them there. Cool little venue too, it was the first time I had seen them indoors this year. The sound was great, although where I was standing near the end they were all playing so loud I couldn't hear vocals. Not much to complain about, I usually complain it's not loud enough.

I got a little chuckle out of Jeff speculating if the flag meant Wilco has sweaty pits.

Hope a recording was made!!!

Great gig but the set list is a little off. In Wilco's infinite wisdom they decided to replace Poor Places with the Drone. Other than that no complaints, one of the best versions of Kidsmoke I've heard, You are my face was savage and got a few rarities at the beginning.

One other small problem was that there was 1 from Summerteeth and nothing from A.M. but I assume they'll rectify tyhat tonight

Billy Bragg and Wilco, Mermaid Avenue, Vol. 2

Remember the Mountain Bed - that's a great tune, though I'm ashamed to say I hadn't heard it up until last night? Where's it from?

Hopefully we get Poor Places and Via Chicago tonight. Misunderstood would be nice too... :thumbup

For record-keeping purposes, here was the setlist as played:

Sunken Treasure

Remember the Mountain Bed

Muzzle of Bees

You Are My Face

War on War

IATTBYH

Pot Kettle Black

Handshake Drugs

Side With The Seeds

Radio Cure

Impossible Germany

Sky Blue Sky

Walken

I'm The Man Who Loves You

Hummingbird

A Shot in the Arm

-------------------------------------

Spiders (Kidsmoke)

-------------------------------------

California Stars

Jesus, etc.

Hate It Here

Heavy Metal Drummer

Red-Eyed and Blue>

I Got You (At The End of the Century)>

Outta Mind (Outtasite)

Yes, setlist was different to what was played

Poor Places was scheduled before Spiders but never appeared and Via Chicago was on the setlist too but not played.

California Stars was not on setlist but was played, ditto I Got You.

I was at the soundcheck where they played Remember The Mountain Bed, Far Far Away and Either Way.

Glenn was saying during soundcheck ' we should play Either Way ' tonight ' but it never happened. Was then asked to leave by tour manager via the locals. Touche!

There was also a meet and greet with Warners after the gig but Tweedy bolted as soon as he was off stage - straight to a car and away. The rest of the band followed not long after. All the post gig booze and food went back to the hotel in centre of Dublin, noone stuck around. Bet that went down well with Warners!

I'm hearing there'll be a swift exit tonight too even though it's last night of the tour.

Met Warner doing the recording at the back of the venue by the board, says there'll be a torrent up soon but not a matrix even though one was being recorded for the band as per normal.

I'll post some pix when I get back to blighty - was up close.

Well that was my first Wilco gig and they were as wonderful as all the stories and bootlegs suggested. Just a magnificent live band, completely in tune with each other but still abrasive when its needed. Jeff was fantastic and the sound in Vicar Street just perfect. Highlights for me were a sublime Kidsmoke, a lairy and aggressive Walken, a spooky Radio Cure, a gorgeous and life-affirming California Stars and a brilliant, rockin' finale. I also loved Hate it Here, a song I'm not overly fussed about on the album but live it sounds just the right side of unhinged.

And Jeff's comment about the Tricolour was great. 'Are you allowed to burn these?' :)

• 1 year later...