Let the Year End Lists Begin

Paste also had a great intro to their Top 50 in the magazine that addressed the problem of trying to compile a top whatever list. I believe the editor pointed out that his favorite album of the year didn't even make the Top 50. I liked their list (even though I've never been able to get into the National), but the Harp list brought to light one major mistake with the Paste list: no Jason Isbell "Sirens of the Ditch." I'm glad Harp included it in their top 10. It's a really great album.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow... I've been putting together my list, and I'm a bit perplexed that the Kaiser Chiefs - Yours Truly, Angy Mob or Clap Your Hands - Some Loud Thunder aren't on that top 50 list.

Solace, I take it you didn't like either of those albums?

Ruby is one of the more annoying songs of the year. I don't love Kaiser Chiefs, but the first record is still better honestly, even in it's mediocracy.

and no, i was so-so on Clap Your Hands but the new album is almost unlistenable for me. Satan Said Dance is one of the most annoying choruses i heard all year, and they were terrible at Monolith.

Richard Swift - Dressed Up for the Let Down

should be somewhere...

The Besnard Lakes Are the Dark Horse anyone?

i also second the White Williams and Panda Bear nods.

and the Coconut Records (jason schwartzman's solo project) album is pretty good - haven't got to listen to it much.

and the Coconut Records (jason schwartzman's solo project) album is pretty good - haven't got to listen to it much.

i'm still debating if that belongs in my top ten. it's definitely a close call either way

Uncut Magazine's Top 50:

50 Dinosaur Jr. - Beyond

49 Ry Cooder - My Name Is Buddy

48 Thurston Moore - Trees Outside the Academy

47 Nick Lowe - At My Age

46 Von Sudenfed - Tromatic Reflexxions

45 Richard Hawley - Lady's Bridge

44 Maps - We Can Create

43 Manic Street Preachers - Send Away the Tigers

42 Richard Thompson - Sweet Warrior

41 Justice -

06 Robert Wyatt - Comicopera

Is this any good, or a Scott Walker-like love it or hate it ?

I suppose that really depends on if you like Wyatt in the first place. I had heard enough of his stuff to take a gamble on it and have been very pleasantly surprised with it.

The Kaiser Twats on the other hand should be set on fire.

I suppose that really depends on if you like Wyatt in the first place. I had heard enough of his stuff to take a gamble on it and have been very pleasantly surprised with it.

The Kaiser Twats on the other hand should be set on fire.

Thanks, been a small-time fan since Costello covered a song or two in the eighties. I have totally lost track, but it seems certainly worth a listen.

I think I am ready to do this now:

1 - Panda Bear

2 - Of Montreal

3 - Okkervil River

4 - Spoon

5 - Josh Ritter

6 - Jens Lekman

7 - Jesse Malin

8 - Wilco

9 - Cloud Cult

t10 - Poison Control Center / Andrew Bird / Beirut / Battles / Whatever I'm forgetting

I can't remember anything else I listened to this year. It seems like a rather bland year, but I'm sure I just don't remember a bunch of things that came out earlier than, say, October.

i really don't think i'll be able to make a definitive list until new years. i just got a bunch of 07 discs on saturday that i'd been meaning to listen to ages ago, and i still have a couple i have to check out before everything is said and done.

funny thing about this year is that very few of the bands i was expecting to deliver great records--wilco, modest mouse, the shins, white stripes, interpol--only partially delivered. but a lot of bands i wasn't expecting a whole lot from dropped massive albums.

i wouldn't say this year has been a let down at all. quite the opposite, actually.

36. Joe Henry - Civilians

One of my personal faves of the year....but then....

I have never even heard of the vast majority of those artists.
Yea, me either...

I didn't even listen to 10 new releases this year.

I don't believe that for a minute......

LouieB