Stephen King Loves Wilco

In the December 7 issue of Entertainment Weekly, Stephen King lists his favorite albums of the year. Sky Blue Sky comes in at #2. He says, "No audio tricks and/or experimentation this time, only a set of gorgeously simple tunes and class-A writing. Jeff Tweedy has never been sweeter, more controlled, or in better voice. Not a bad cut on the album. Even the cover art's beautiful."

He also lists his top 18 tracks of the year. Number One? "Either Way."

Not read one of his books for about 30 years but he has clearly got his head screwed on.

Isn't his son a musician? Or is he a writer who doesn't own up to being King Jnr? The latter, I think from some article I read recently....

Who was his number 1?

C

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22028729/

Stephen King names his top 7 albums of 2007

Author says he was ‘disappointed with this year’s new music’

Peter Kramer / AP

NEW YORK - Stephen King’s taste in music is more eclectic than scary.

The best-selling author reveals his seven picks for the “best albums of the year” in Entertainment Weekly’s Dec. 7 issue.

“In truth, your Uncle Stevie was disappointed with this year’s new music, very disappointed indeed, and his year-end list reflects that,” King writes. “I could only find seven albums I wanted to mention ...”

His No. 1 pick is Steve Earle’s “Washington Square Serenade,” followed by Wilco’s “Sky Blue Sky,” Mika’s “Life in Cartoon Motion” and Lyle Lovett and His Large Band’s “It’s Not Big It’s Large.”

Of Lovett’s album, King says: “This is a terrific Texas swing album, but of course not everybody likes Texas swing (or even knows what it is). What makes it special is Lovett’s vermouth-dry vocals and his equally dry wit.”

King’s fifth choice is Ozzy Osbourne’s “Black Rain” — “finest heavy metal record of the year; a true speaker-buster” — followed by John Fogerty’s “Revival” and Southern Culture on the Skids’ “Countrypolitan Favorites.”

Not read one of his books for about 30 years but he has clearly got his head screwed on.

Isn't his son a musician? Or is he a writer who doesn't own up to being King Jnr? The latter, I think from some article I read recently....

He's got two sons -- one goes by the pen name Joe Hill and briefly tried to hide the fact that he is King's kid (before the media picked up on it anyway) so he could try to get published on his own merits. His publisher didn't even know until after the book came out. You've got to respect his attempt to make a go of it without trying to use his dad's fame. His book "Heart-Shaped Box" is pretty good genre fiction. It reads a lot like his dad's work from the mid-eighties.

Generally, Uncle Stevie makes some pretty good music picks for EW -- he's also recommended Spoon (one of the few bands playing today I like as much as Wilco) several times.

- King has been a Wilco fan for years

- he didn't care for A Ghost Is Born (!)

- he talked about some songs from Kicking Television in the 2005 list

- there's a cool picture of King in a Wilco shirt i've seen numerous time

unfortunately, some of his taste seems kinda hit and miss, even though he likes good music.

-justin

as much as i dislike stephen king (don't get me started on the rant), i have to give him his due for his taste in music. like anybody's it's not exactly on par with what i'm in to, but digging wilco and spoon ("I Summon You" was his top song a couple years ago) is room enough for me to give his picks a thumb up

as much as i dislike stephen king (don't get me started on the rant), i have to give him his due for his taste in music. like anybody's it's not exactly on par with what i'm in to, but digging wilco and spoon ("I Summon You" was his top song a couple years ago) is room enough for me to give his picks a thumb up

That's about right. He also is into Ryan Adams and The Jayhawks.