putting together the timeline of the world's best band

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a good thing that no one is writing songs on the level of "Dear Prudence", "Black Dog", "Wish You Were Here", "Won't Get Fooled Again" and "Moonlight Mile"?

If we could ever agree what that level is, I would say Jeff Tweedy's written a few, and maybe a few better. It's a whole different game now anyway. Nobody's going to be better than The Beatles at being The Beatles.

I don't agree with Radiohead. I mean, they have the fanbase, but the quality of their stuff isn't -that- good. Thom Yorke is a very overrated writer, I haven't ever heard him writer a song that wasn't needlessly moody or dark. It's appealing, but after awhile it's pretty bland. The guy needs to try writing some upbeat sunny lyrics, because even though he could be depressed, people who are actually depressed don't wear it on their sleeve by writing kitschy, dark songs. I would say JT is an all around more consistent writer and much more self aware, and I would put him up against even Dylan or The Beatles in terms of lyrics, and probably equal to them in terms of songwriting. But overall, I think the only reason those groups are deified is because of baby boomers. It's been said before, I'm sure, but when you think about it, it's the first real large generation, and it's never been matched since. That's why, then, they were the tastemakers, and now that they are "in control" so to speak, their tastes from the past are taking the reins. I think that's why a group like Pitchfork is, despite it's cynicism and akward ratings, is invaluable to get a good judge on new music. it's a group of younger people, no longer interested in referencing the past, not stuck in one musical genre, judging music based on how it sounds on top of it's innovation.

I would say JT is an all around more consistent writer and much more self aware, and I would put him up against even Dylan or The Beatles in terms of lyrics, and probably equal to them in terms of songwriting. But overall, I think the only reason those groups are deified is because of baby boomers.

Those groups are deified because they are the pioneers, the originators, the great rock bands of all time. They wrote great album after great album after great album. Whereas these days we get some nice albums with some good tracks. Tweedy never wrote a song as good as "Dear Prudence" or "Here Comes the Sun" or "Shine On you Crazy Diamond". He's crafted some really nice songs though, which are more like mood pieces -just not at an "all cylinders cranking" mode in terms of lyrcs, ,melody, dynamic range, playing, etc.

It's been said before, I'm sure, but when you think about it, it's the first real large generation, and it's never been matched since. That's why, then, they were the tastemakers, and now that they are "in control" so to speak, their tastes from the past are taking the reins. I think that's why a group like Pitchfork is, despite it's cynicism and akward ratings, is invaluable to get a good judge on new music. it's a group of younger people, no longer interested in referencing the past, not stuck in one musical genre, judging music based on how it sounds on top of it's innovation.

The problem with Pitchfork is it's become what it claims to hate. It's been stuck up it's own ass for quite some time, infatutated with a cold urban hipster sound and lifeless, wimpy indie acts afraid of putting bass in their songs because they aren't good enough to fit it in with the vocals(another reason why no one seems to be able to make complete, dynamic songs these days - for the most part). For the most part it is stuck in one musical genre.

You young whippersnappers don't know what good music is! Everyone knows that rock music peaked in 1968, and anything that doesn't sound like the Beatles or Pink Floyd is garbage.

I'm considering registering this entire statement as a domain name and starting a blog.

It's a good thing that no one is writing songs on the level of "Dear Prudence", "Black Dog", "Wish You Were Here", "Won't Get Fooled Again" and "Moonlight Mile"?

A pretty good case could be made that The Who, Led Zeppelin & Pink Floyd are often very bad lyrically, and The Rolling Stones can be a little hit and miss at times too - this is if you just take the songs on a lyrical level (obviously they come as a whole, which is why I still like the songs most of the time). Personally I think The Who's lyrics are appalling, but I still like most of their songs because it's just big dumb rock music you can sing along to; and everyone I know regards Pink Floyd's lyrics as very 'sixth-form' in nature - so most of those bands in terms of pure song writing are far from untouchable in my book.

There was once a band who would fill sheds, arenas and the like in the mid-to-late-nineties without ever having radio airplay or hit singles.

Phuck the haters.

People are throwing Creed at you a lot lately.

Honestly, I'd rather have someone throw a pile of dog-doo at me.

A pretty good case could be made that The Who, Led Zeppelin & Pink Floyd are often very bad lyrically, and The Rolling Stones can be a little hit and miss at times too - this is if you just take the songs on a lyrical level (obviously they come as a whole, which is why I still like the songs most of the time). Personally I think The Who's lyrics are appalling, but I still like most of their songs because it's just big dumb rock music you can sing along to; and everyone I know regards Pink Floyd's lyrics as very 'sixth-form' in nature - so most of those bands in terms of pure song writing are far from untouchable in my book.

Waters is regarded as one of the finest lyricists in rock history along with Pete Townshend, Dylan, Young and Lennon.

Anyone can come up with art class gibberish and throw it at a wall.

P.S. - Cool Newsom sig. If anyone came close to that kind of greatness, she certainly did on "Ys". Work of art.